Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,343,550 times

Advertisements

SO, down here in Casa Grande we have two Frys stores - one older, and then one newer "marketplace". This newer one is huge and has always carried all sorts of stuff beyond groceries including patio furniture, art, and even living room and household furniture including sofas and the like.

As I was walking around the store lately I noticed they were selling off all of that household furniture at 50% off and they were clearly reducing the inventory. I wondered what they might be planning to do with all that floor space and even thought maybe they were just going to give it up at lease end or something since this store was planned and built right before the housing crash and the population base probably is not what Frys had hoped originally (although it is almost always busy).

ANYWAY, while perusing the city's website for building permits etc. (something I do frequently to see what new things are coming to town etc...), I noticed they have pulled a permit to do some remodeling and they are calling it the "Frys - go fast marketplace". I googled that and don't see anything about it at any other Frys stores or anything?

Any ideas what this might be? Are there any other stores that have this? It is clearly going to be INSIDE the existing store - although it is possible it could have a separate entrance based upon where they are going to do this...

I am thinking it may be a small version of "Fresh and Easy" or Sprouts type thing. We had originally been scheduled to get those types of stores before the crash, but they never materialized.

SO, if anyone knows help me out - or maybe we are going to be a test concept that will follow to other stores eventually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
SO, down here in Casa Grande we have two Frys stores - one older, and then one newer "marketplace". This newer one is huge and has always carried all sorts of stuff beyond groceries including patio furniture, art, and even living room and household furniture including sofas and the like.

As I was walking around the store lately I noticed they were selling off all of that household furniture at 50% off and they were clearly reducing the inventory. I wondered what they might be planning to do with all that floor space and even thought maybe they were just going to give it up at lease end or something since this store was planned and built right before the housing crash and the population base probably is not what Frys had hoped originally (although it is almost always busy).

ANYWAY, while perusing the city's website for building permits etc. (something I do frequently to see what new things are coming to town etc...), I noticed they have pulled a permit to do some remodeling and they are calling it the "Frys - go fast marketplace". I googled that and don't see anything about it at any other Frys stores or anything?

Any ideas what this might be? Are there any other stores that have this? It is clearly going to be INSIDE the existing store - although it is possible it could have a separate entrance based upon where they are going to do this...

I am thinking it may be a small version of "Fresh and Easy" or Sprouts type thing. We had originally been scheduled to get those types of stores before the crash, but they never materialized.

SO, if anyone knows help me out - or maybe we are going to be a test concept that will follow to other stores eventually?
Not sure about the go fast thing, but a Fry's Marketplace in South Chandler recently remodeled and got rid of the furniture and added more clothing instead. This was like a year ago, I assume the furniture isn't selling well so they are trying to compete with Wal Mart on the cheap clothing.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
I avoid any of the larger Fry's stores with all of that non grocery stuff. I much prefer a smaller store, easy to find what I need, easy to get in and out without having to pass homegoods, dishes, patio furniture, etc.

If they come up with an even smaller concept store, I'm all for it.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
I bought some of the furniture at my Fry's in Gilbert, it was a great deal. He told me they were going to add clothing. That seemed totally strange to me. But I guess it's no stranger than furniture at a Grocery Store.

They seem like they already have a deli for the ready made food, not sure how they would add more??

Old 04-10-2015, 12:49 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I avoid any of the larger Fry's stores with all of that non grocery stuff. I much prefer a smaller store, easy to find what I need, easy to get in and out without having to pass homegoods, dishes, patio furniture, etc.

If they come up with an even smaller concept store, I'm all for it.
^^^ This. It also leads to a congested store typically. For this reason I avoid Walmarts and Super Targets ETC. (The regular target store on Longmore by my place is easier to get in and out of than a grocery store though.)
I will say the Fry's by my work office on Gilbert/Chandler Blvd on the other hand is also easier to get in and out of than any West Mesa / Tempe grocery store too and it's a marketplace.
I'm all about convenience. I don't work 50-70 hours a week to spend my little free time in a store any longer than necessary.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
^^^ This. It also leads to a congested store typically. For this reason I avoid Walmarts and Super Targets ETC. (The regular target store on Longmore by my place is easier to get in and out of than a grocery store though.)
I will say the Fry's by my work office on Gilbert/Chandler Blvd on the other hand is also easier to get in and out of than any West Mesa / Tempe grocery store too and it's a marketplace.
I'm all about convenience. I don't work 50-70 hours a week to spend my little free time in a store any longer than necessary.
True... I'd rather not have to use GPS just to find my way around one of those SUPER-DUPER, MEGA-BIGGY, EVERYTHING-on-PLANET-PIGGY store!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post

Where I moved from, most Target stores are Super Targets, as large as a super Walmart with full grocery, etc. I am so happy that is not the case here! I love to be able to go to a "regular" size Target!

I seek out the older, smaller Fry's.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Where I moved from, most Target stores are Super Targets, as large as a super Walmart with full grocery, etc. I am so happy that is not the case here! I love to be able to go to a "regular" size Target!

I seek out the older, smaller Fry's.

I prefer the smaller ones, too-- when you are used to where to look for things, going in one of those is confusing.

But just for clarification, those larger ones aren't necessarily newer, they were built originally by another company that Kroger bought out, and they kept the same type store with the Marketplace name. Until recently, there was a smaller Fry's and a Marketplace store on two corners of the same intersection in south Tempe, due to that buyout. They kept the smaller store open for years, but finally closed it.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 AM

I said "older" specifically because my best shopping experiences have been in smaller, older stores.

Last weekend I went to a smaller, "newer" store and the layout was horrible, I didn't find everything I needed and it took longer.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:48 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Op - go to Fry's (or Kroger's) Facebook page and ask your question. No doubt that they will answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area