Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times

Advertisements

Something definitely doesnt sound right. Make sure the filters are installed properly, get rid of carpeting, and go with a heavy-duty filter if you can. We have never had a problem, but then again Im in Scottsdale, not out near the open desert like you are. Dust storms dont even produce much dust in our home, which is nice. The cars on the other hand... ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I presently live in west Texas, where were have a lot more wind typically than you do, but we sure have dust problems no matter what. We do a variety of things. We get very good filters for the AC system and change them as recommended. We have 3 room air filters also and change those also according to their recommendation. But no matter what you do, you'll still have some dust. You indeed might need to have the whole AC system checked, but some of it you'll just have to live with, like we do.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:45 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Another vote here for the air purifiers. I have a swamp cooler so there's nothing I can really do about filters, but the air purifiers make a huge difference. Be sure to buy ones sized properly for the room they'll be used in. I have a small one in each bedroom and a very large Honeywell unit in my living/dining combo room. When I don't have them running, dust starts accumulating in a day or less. With the units on, it's several days before I notice any dust on surfaces. They do help.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:59 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissylou View Post
Who would I call to check for leaks in the ducts? Thank you for your replies!! I really do think something is wrong....
If you're in the APS section of town they have an inspection service. here's their link with info...
https://www.aps.com/en/residential/s...ages/home.aspx

Old 05-29-2015, 11:57 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Air cleaners help, dust with a wet cloth that helps but it's been windy this year, plus they are clearing more land because construction is on the rise again so thats means more dust.
We have a lot of dust here, once it gets into your home it just goes from place to place.

Sun dust bunnies are the worst. lol

Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
Wet cloth dusting is where it's at. It's a never ending battle in the desert .

Old 05-29-2015, 04:12 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissylou View Post
Who would I call to check for leaks in the ducts? Thank you for your replies!! I really do think something is wrong....
A leak in the duct would not increase dust. Ducts are under pressure and the dust would be forced out, not drawn in. The only place dust would get in your ac is through the return air. Much of that gets filtered and then washed off in the evaporator coils. I would look elsewhere, though I think if you have carpeting that has been there for a while that is where you will find your dust source. There is enough dust in carpets around here to grow potatoes. If you don't have carpets or even if you do, get one of those wet hard surface vacuum cleaning machines. You will be amazed how much brown water (dust) comes off of what you thought was a clean floor! If your furniture is dusty so is your floor and there is much, much more surface area on the floor than there is on the furniture.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:13 PM

550 posts, read 1,127,093 times
I have more dust here than in Texas but not to the extend the OP talks about. If you dust and 1 hour later you can start again, something is wrong somewhere and has nothing to do with windy weather unless you have your windows open and even so. A wet clothe will help dusting but will not stop new dust to settle where you just dusted. If there is no sand storm this should not happen. When there is a sand storm, there is nothing you can do. Sand will go everywhere, even in luggage in your closet.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM

416 posts, read 588,644 times
Well, there is a big difference between SD and Phx, and since you're in the desert, you're going to have dust. There's no escaping it. Have the ducts checked, yes, but also the seals on your windows and the weatherstripping on your doors. You'll never truly get it or keep it out, but you can keep the majority out for the most part.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
In addition to checking all of the above, another thing to check is your doors and windows. You can place a damp rag on the floor in front of the door and around the windowsills for a day. Then check them to see if they are caked with dust. I live in an older home and noticed hot air coming in through leaks in the sliding glass door. Then I checked the windows and front door and noticed the same thing. Went to Home Depot and got insulation and caulking. Sealed everything up nice. Caulking Windows And Doors - Home Improvement Blog

For the glass door, I found a rubber type insulation that's like tape. I put that along the edges where the doors meet. Trying to find it online, but you can ask at a hardware store. When the wind blows it makes a huge difference. I have started to turn off my AC during a dust storm. It's a huge PITA and it gets hot, but the dust storm usually only lasts about an hour. That seems to help. No sense in pulling all that dust into the home. More info here - Haboobs in Arizona: Tips to Stay Safe during Massive Dust Storms |

And yes, as Zippyman says, spend a little extra on the filters. It matters. My sense is that out in Surprise with all the new construction, there may be a lot more blowing dust. This is not an insignificant problem. Valley Fever is more prevalent when dust from the desert has been kicked up and blown around. HEPA type filters can help you keep the air in your home cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area