Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:27 AM

10 posts, read 8,897 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of old posts on this area, but not so many recent ones. We will be renting for 1 year and then figuring out what part of town to purchase. These areas are convenient to my husband's work. I know in the past, if I am reading correctly, it's been an "avoid" kind of place. But, we can get a much bigger and nicer house there for the 1 year. We have no consideration on schools as our child is only 1 year. Can I get some opinions on these areas please? And, if there are streets to stay above, below, to the east or west of, I would love that information. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 11:02 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,911 times
The South Phoenix area and Avondale are actually quite a ways from each other. Can you give us a better idea on where your husband's work is located? Cross Streets perhaps?

Old 10-06-2016, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 8,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
The South Phoenix area and Avondale are actually quite a ways from each other. Can you give us a better idea on where your husband's work is located? Cross Streets perhaps?
He will be working near 17 just north of 10. I was just looking more for opinions/advice as to what these areas are like rather than which is closer to his work. We have appointments set up to look at houses in these 3 areas.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:10 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,911 times
Well I live in South Mountain Village (South Phoenix is what everyone really calls it). I've been here 11+ years now and have enjoyed it. I have a son about the same age as yours. The core of the area is centered around 24th St and Baseline. Around Baseline south to the mountain is typically considered a better area than more north near Broadway. However there are still some older/run down streets in the nicer parts. Much like all of the valley one street can be great but the next one can be horrible. I'm very familiar with the area so if you have any other specific questions about South Phoenix feel free to PM me.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
first, as Bungle says, don't use the phrase "South Mountain Village" (the "village" thing is mostly a city planning/management effort used by certain city employees)....people will think it's some sort of individual subdivision somewhere.....just say South Phoenix.....

second, if new and "nice" are important, consider areas a bit further east along Baseline, east of 24th St or so....or go waaa-aayyy west to Estrella and all the other new developments way out there....

as Bungle says, it's very mixed.....until ten or fifteen years ago, the entire South Phoenix area had a bad rep among longtime locals, but many new subdivisions have appeared mixed in with the not-so-new stuff.....it's all a very large area going for miles along the north side of the South Mountains

Old 10-06-2016, 06:13 PM

576 posts, read 830,670 times
Your husband's commute doesn't seem to matter to you, but coming from Laveen / Avondale would be brutal. If you are set on these 3 areas, I would stick with South Phoenix.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Your husband's commute doesn't seem to matter to you, but coming from Laveen / Avondale would be brutal. If you are set on these 3 areas, I would stick with South Phoenix.
Driving eastward from the southwest valley on I-10 during morning crush hour can be brutal but it's doable.

If the OP chooses Avondale the commute to the I-17-I-10 vicinity might be easier by using Mcdowell or Thomas, more traffic lights to deal with but it would be an alternative to the stop and crawl I-10 routine.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,138 times
I lived in southwest Phoenix for a few years and there are decent, affordable neighborhoods out that way if the commute is not an issue for you. I would look in the vicinity of 99th Ave. (west) to 51st Ave. (east) and Lower Buckeye Rd. (north) to Baseline Rd. (south). Many of the homes are new(er) builds that went up in the last 10-15 years or so. The area has a quiet suburban feel. If you are that far south, you may want to take Buckeye Rd. or Baseline Rd. into the city and avoid the freeway altogether. Avondale is also a decent choice if you are looking north of the 10 freeway. You will find similar houses at similar prices there, and it is close to the 10 and 101 freeways. However, the streets around the freeways are also more congested due to all the shopping centers there.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,106 times
Default Simple advice

Here is some simple advice from an AZ native lived all over AZ. Before you choose the home you are looking at, travel to the nearest grocery store and observe the kind of people who frequent the store. If underwear showing adults are prevalent it is probably not a good area or one of those being-gentrified areas which is hit and miss.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post

From Laveen area, a lot of people just come in on Baseline and skip the brutal I-10. I do the same from the east side. Avondale would be further west, but still doable. A coworker of mine just comes in to downtown on McDowell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area