Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 25,702 times

Advertisements

We're buying a house in Central Phoenix near Squaw Peak and are not used to the Coyote problem. I have two small dogs and was wondering if anyone knows of any tasteful ways to rig a block fence so that a Coyote would not jump on it (I'm assuming the dog touches the fence and doesn't completely clear it). I was thinking something like the spikes that people place for pigeons or the much more ghetto alternative that I saw when I was in Mexico of glass shards atop the fence (which I doubt is legal here).

If anyone here has any experience with this and could let me know that would be helpful. However, I'm not interested in people's "2-cents" how Coyotes aren't a big threat or that I'm paranoid yada yada yada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM

159 posts, read 397,101 times
If you live close to the Squaw Peak preserve area, then you need to worry ( I heard them out last night). I live just on the north side of Squaw Peak & lost a small dog from our back yard 2 yrs ago. Coyotes got over a 5' block wall. They can get over 6' or 7' walls as well by actually pulling themselves over. Putting anything sharp on the top of the wall is a huge liability (easy money for a kid or burgler to sue for), but they make a product that's call "Coyote roller" that's installed on the top of the wall but it's not cheap or pretty. Best bet is to keep an eye on you pets when they are out and keep the yard lighted at night when they go out. A big dog to go with the little ones helps too.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
I've always used the "good rifle" approach to coyote control. A shotgun will work at close range.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I've always used the "good rifle" approach to coyote control. A shotgun will work at close range.
Try that in Phoenix, and I'll come visit you in jail. On second thought, I wouldn't bother.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Don't live near a drop house. Oh, wait, wrong "coyote"....

Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
can you spay ammonia or vinegar on the top of you block wall?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Buy a chicken, they'd pick the chicken over the dogs and at least give you time to find your gun.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 29,431 times
I live in CT & in process of closing on house in Surprise. Regardless, we have Coyote/ Red Wolf Hybrids here in CT (we have 1.5 ac that abbutts 400+ ac of farm, grass, woodland, etc.) Anyhow, the 'Hybrids' we have here are huge - compared to the ones out West (lived there many yrs ago too) & are regularly in the back of our yard. At first I too was a bit nervous when we 1st moved here w/ 2 small dogs & my service dog - a standard poodle. They have yet to bother my dogs at all - though the first few years were attracted up close & personal . . . to 'me'. Could've grabbed one, they were so close. Assuming they thought I may have been a wounded animal or something (my dogs can pinpoint exactly where my spine is toast) & know Coyotes can smell up to 2 miles away.

Anyhow, not soon after - we had a fence built in a smaller top section of the yard (for dogs to run) & have yet another smaller fenced in area closer to the house. Aside from the experience I have w/ Canid Behavior (and Coyotes are Canids), the 'double' fence has an effect that confuses them - as they have NO DEPTH PERCEPTION. I know that rollers are widely used & recommended out there, but if you have the chance to do some type of additional 'false' fencing, might help as well.

Another little tip w/ any wild Canids is always scent. Ammonia is definitely an effective method - especially if you make sure to spray the outer portion (and/or top of) often. I've read stories about men often 'watering' their gardens at night to keep the rabbits out - but the truth of the matter is that it works. Same as a coyote, wolf - and even your pet dog, marking territory in the Canid world is more than all they need - as they instinctively know that crossing that boundary could very well cost them their lives (from the pack controlling that territory). Don't use your dog's urine though - esp. if they're small. Canids use this scent as a 'calling card' and believe it or not gives a LOT of information about the 'marker' - such as age, health, etc.

If for whatever reason the amonia alone does not work - look online for some hunting website where you can actually buy coyote urine (in a bottle) don't know if there's 'wolf' urine available - which would be a thousand times better - as wolves kill coyotes & they are fully aware of it. Try it in a spray bottle - concentrate only on a few spots. If for some reason it doesn't work as well as you'd like - slightly add a 'little' amonia to the mix.

Motion sensor lights (pointed at ? the top of the wall) are also good deterrents - though they'd have to make it up there first before they turned on. Territorial howling is another one - which was a successful experiment w/ keeping wolves at bay for farmers worried about livestock, but wouldn't be able to tell you the first place to look for such a thing.

A lot of people don't understand, but especially 'wild' canids always stick to a certain set of instinctual rules. They do not/ will not waiver from - as doing so jeopardizes their safety/ lives & they know it. Too bad more people didn't take advantage of the rules of mother nature to help them achieve a 'desirable outcome' when it comes to wild canids (yes, wolves, coyotes, fox, etc.) - would be so much more effective to send a message in an actual language they understand & would be so much more humane at the same time.

Enough of my babbling, but I would try those methods before trying to actually inflict any harm. I will also tell you that they will not usually even bother you when they are raising their young - I keep close tabs on our pack up here & though I know where they (and their dens) are, no matter what - they absolutely will not come anywhere near our yard at any time of night. I'm a night owl myself, so I know their routines like clockwork - but absolutely will not come anywhere near by when they have those pups.

Good luck

Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
It sounds ghetto, but if you tape a plastic water bottle filled with tissue onto the end of a .22 rifle, it sounds like a bb gun. If they come over the wall, take the best aim as you can with that mess attached to the barrel. You can get a .22 CHEAP off craigslist if you don't have one.
x-box 360 & 22 bolt action rifle (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ele/1939228311.html - broken link)

Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I assume the OP is referring to passive measures, as opposed to sitting on their back porch with a weapon. I honestly don't know if it's possible without the extreme measures mentioned by Gem.

I was biking on a greenbelt behind row of houses once and spooked a coyote that proceeded to run thru about five back yards easily going over the six foot block wall between them without breaking stride, they are just incredible leapers if they can get their front legs on it they are going over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area