Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East valley or West Valley
East Valley 63 64.95%
West Valley 14 14.43%
forget the suburbs, Phoenix proper all the way 20 20.62%
Tie 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
First of all, who cares who wins? I'm not voting, I live in the east Valley, but I like a lot of areas in the west Valley and would not be opposed to living there.

Second, you don't live here any more (so I don't know why you care) and you are new to this forum, but there has been discussion for YEARS about the East Valley/West Valley comparison. Lots of overgeneralizing and stereotyping, but it all comes down to that there are those who love where they are on both sides. The west Valley has changed in many positive respects over the last several years, more than t, so there's been some evolution in the population and in the attitudes of those who live there.

I don't see this thread bringing anything new to the discussion. I'll predict more of what has been posted here before.
1. first someone needs a chill pill
2. I do technically, I'm only in LA for college, my whole family lives in scottsdale still and i'm moving back upon graduation
3. It's all in good fun... jesus, every city has a poll like this all in good fun, you are taking this way too seriously.
4. Sorry I didn't go back years to look at different polls that were created prior to my joining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Westside isn't called the worstside for nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I guess none of you watch the 10 oclock news. I rarely hear convenience store robberies happening in Scottsdale or Ahwatukee. The Phoenix avenues have these robberies all the time!
Let's see what's happening. Here's a bit of hours old internet news for you on the east side to tide you over to the 10pm news:

FD: 2 people shot at park in Mesa - ABC15 Arizona

Arson investigators offering up to $10,000 reward for info on Gilbert railroad bridge fire - ABC15 Arizona

"Old" news from yesterday:

New details released in deadly Mesa farm shooting - ABC15 Arizona

Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
I prefer the west valley but there are many nice parts of the east valley too.

The west valley is on a faster growth track now mostly because there is more room to grow and prices tend to be cheaper.

The downsides of the west valley include fewer transportation options and lack of respect.

Too many people associate the entire west valley with crime, sketchier neighborhoods, and lower-income residents because of areas like Maryvale-west Phoenix, but there are many safe, clean, family-friendly west valley areas that are nowhere near Maryvale.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:44 PM

498 posts, read 543,737 times
North Valley.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 PM

770 posts, read 838,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Let's see what's happening. Here's a bit of hours old internet news for you on the east side to tide you over to the 10pm news:

FD: 2 people shot at park in Mesa - ABC15 Arizona

Arson investigators offering up to $10,000 reward for info on Gilbert railroad bridge fire - ABC15 Arizona

"Old" news from yesterday:

New details released in deadly Mesa farm shooting - ABC15 Arizona
That doesn't change the fact that it's known as the worstside.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Says who?
Precisely. I don't think most people are into an intense rivalry or are "passionate" about this issue. East side vs west side comments have come up VERY frequently in various discussions here over the years, but it's not the hot button issue the OP seems to think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
2. I do technically, I'm only in LA for college, my whole family lives in scottsdale still and i'm moving back upon graduation
3. It's all in good fun... every city has a poll like this all in good fun.. .
4. Sorry I didn't go back years to look at different polls that were created prior to my joining.
Every city forum doesn't have this poll. I'm not saying there have been polls in the past, but I am saying that it is hardly a new subject, and comes up here frequently in relocation discussions. So far, there's been nothing new in this thread, as I predicted. What's "in good fun" for you others (mostly older than you) take as a serious discussion.

Quote:
To you, and some others, but it's hardly a term in general use. I've only heard it here at C-D, interestingly enough.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:17 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
You do realize you will be sweating your arse off at 107 degrees today or cooped up indoors like a prisoner. If you were all that, you would be living in a summer home a few hours north in the mountains right now. I guess what I am saying is since you like to judge with such a harsh tone, I figured I'd put it in perspective for you.

As others have said, there are good and less than ideal locations valley wide. Each has their trade-offs. I have no interest in voting.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:45 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
Well, for me, it's the east valley. I live in east Mesa near the lakes.
That one simple phrase, "I live near the lakes" can't be said anywhere in the west valley.
I had four years to research where in the valley that I wanted to live. Honestly, I would have been happy anywhere I the valley but being close to the lakes was very important to me. I'm 20 minutes from Saguaro Lake and about 30 from Canyon Lake. When it's sizzling outside, you'll find me in the pool, in my boat or zooming around on Canyon lake on jet skis. My favorite time of year here is the summers because I use the heat to my advantage. It's not the heat that I enjoy, it's the water.
There is nothing finer than a blazing hot day on one of our beautiful desert lakes. Just heavenly to me.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:29 AM

770 posts, read 838,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You do realize you will be sweating your arse off at 107 degrees today or cooped up indoors like a prisoner. If you were all that, you would be living in a summer home a few hours north in the mountains right now. I guess what I am saying is since you like to judge with such a harsh tone, I figured I'd put it in perspective for you.

As others have said, there are good and less than ideal locations valley wide. Each has their trade-offs. I have no interest in voting.
What is the point of your post? I'm not afraid of the heat, and pack up and run like hell when it turns 90 here. I'm not some smug assclown who thinks they are better then everyone else, because they were able to snatch some cheap property and make it a winter home. Who cares oh that's right I made a common statement that the West Valley is referred to as the worstside. Who cares it's what people call the West Valley.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:48 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Well, for me, it's the east valley. I live in east Mesa near the lakes.
That one simple phrase, "I live near the lakes" can't be said anywhere in the west valley.
I had four years to research where in the valley that I wanted to live. Honestly, I would have been happy anywhere I the valley but being close to the lakes was very important to me. I'm 20 minutes from Saguaro Lake and about 30 from Canyon Lake. When it's sizzling outside, you'll find me in the pool, in my boat or zooming around on Canyon lake on jet skis. My favorite time of year here is the summers because I use the heat to my advantage. It's not the heat that I enjoy, it's the water.
There is nothing finer than a blazing hot day on one of our beautiful desert lakes. Just heavenly to me.
We can say "I live near the lake, though". Pleasant is bigger than all three of the lakes below Roosevelt put together and it does not close at 9 on weekends, has superb launching and camping facilities, two marinas that put anything on the Salt River to shame, and big stripers (so they tell me, haha).

I will agree with you though, as I do miss Apache Lake. I used to "live" there back in the day. That's about all I miss living on the east side. The congestion and crush of humanity just got to me and I had to get out. These days though the congestion is getting worse and worse by the day in the west too.

Overall, east west north south, it is all about the same outside the 101. There may have been a time when one could point to one direction of the compass and declare that better or worse. Old timers like me and some of the older natives may remember that and it shapes our biases even to this day. People who follow my posts will see me bash downtown as a tumbleweed strewn deserted wasteland, for example. It once was that. But the reality is, metro Phoenix is nothing like it was 40 years ago and you just can't use the old cliches and preconceptions about it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area