Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That is great news but kind of goes against all those posting on this forum that we can't draw any businesses with jobs due to our education system, political environment, etc.
No, not really. Considering we're spending money on a branding campaign and outside of C-D most understand that while the perspective is false it surely exists to out of state firms and recruitment. Especially if you travel a lot.

I'm very very glad we are growing a tech economy and I hope we can attract and create a large educated working base, It's very encouraging to see Phoenix and Tempe doing so well and to see ASUs insurmountable rise from notable party school and playboy model factory into one of the top 100 research universities in the U.S. (Read large federal grants or $$$ to the layperson)

But you should read the article before claiming victory.
Quote:
Still, Phoenix’s total employment base (42,304) is smaller than larger U.S. technology hubs. And much of the Valley’s new technology jobs have been in sales and back-office positions rather than software developers and engineers.
I mean we gotta start somewhere but let's not get ahead of ourselves now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:03 PM

640 posts, read 957,632 times
It always amazes me all the "yeah but" posts that follow any OP that is in the slightest bit a positive piece regarding Phoenix area growth. What's wrong with companies growing here with sales and back office positions? That's a start, now they have the office established, and before long you have some developers in Silicon Valley saying, hey maybe I can relocate to our Phoenix office and actually be able to buy a decent house and live the American Dream. With the talent being pumped out of ASU, expanding in Phoenix makes sense.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Thanks for posting azriverfan. Very good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The problem is the tech places that pay 200 K per year (ie San Francisco) also have a significantly higher cost of living so that 200K job is not really going to generate a much higher quality of life. You are probably better off making a 100K in Phoenix in terms of lifestyle than 200 in SF especially if you have a family.
Well said/you beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
It is misleading, because the cities to which the article compares Phoenix are indeed known for developers and engineers; developers and engineers are exactly what Arizona wishes it could attract, instead of "sales and back office" jobs. Arizona has always had "sales and back office" jobs. I am not saying those are not ok; I'm pointing out what the article also says: they are not tech jobs. They are support jobs for tech companies.
I've worked in IT for many years in different areas. I can tell you those "back office" jobs can be very good paying jobs. Depending on the definition of "back office" in this particular context, more than a few who use the term "back office" includes support titles beyond direct IT jobs including accounting positions and such which can be decent paying jobs. Operations architecture is often lumped into the term "back office" and includes data communications/networking infrastructure type IT jobs which often pay very well. Many of these back office data centers are huge and need lots of support.

It may not be what your husband is looking for, but it's good for the valley regardless since many other cities/states in the country are net/net losing jobs.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
... Also, your husband could probably start a small company here with his friends much easier than in other parts of the country. This is one of the best places to acquire government funding for startups in the country. A talented developer with an idea: the Valley is starving for people like that and will support you.
That's a good point. I've lived in five other places before moving to Arizona and the requirements/regulations/laws related to starting or owning a business or operating a retail store here are minor compared to anyplace else I've been. Mind you, everything isn't the same statewide. For example, opening a store in the City of Tucson might be more fraught with regulations than doing it elsewhere in Pima County, but the ins and outs in general pale in comparison to my experience with businesses on the East Coast.

It seems to me that the older and more developed an area is, the more time the constantly shifting political administrations have had to pile laws on top of laws. No one should take my comments as a particular compliment to Arizona. It's only been a state since 1912. Give the powers that be time, they'll become as annoying as anywhere else eventually.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
It always amazes me all the "yeah but" posts that follow any OP that is in the slightest bit a positive piece regarding Phoenix area growth. What's wrong with companies growing here with sales and back office positions? That's a start, now they have the office established, and before long you have some developers in Silicon Valley saying, hey maybe I can relocate to our Phoenix office and actually be able to buy a decent house and live the American Dream. With the talent being pumped out of ASU, expanding in Phoenix makes sense.
You didn't say anything differently than me

Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

I mean we gotta start somewhere but let's not get ahead of ourselves now.
Agreed, we are all saying the same thing. I've still kept perspective. The difference is I remember we were losing jobs and there was no hope in sight. The fact that we are adding quality jobs regardless if they are strictly engineering jobs is a plus. It's just momentum to strive for better.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Agreed, we are all saying the same thing. I've still kept perspective. The difference is I remember we were losing jobs and there was no hope in sight. The fact that we are adding quality jobs regardless if they are strictly engineering jobs is a plus. It's just momentum to strive for better.
Diversifying is always a positive. It's great to see Phoenix/Chandler/Tempe doing so well in regards to this industry. It makes sense to start expanding here for a lot of these companies especially with the way ASU is changing and the way UA is expanding it's reach into our area. We could be on the start of something if we can maintain the momentum.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I've worked in IT for many years in different areas. I can tell you those "back office" jobs can be very good paying jobs. Depending on the definition of "back office" in this particular context, more than a few who use the term "back office" includes support titles beyond direct IT jobs including accounting positions and such which can be decent paying jobs. Operations architecture is often lumped into the term "back office" and includes data communications/networking infrastructure type IT jobs which often pay very well. Many of these back office data centers are huge and need lots of support.

It may not be what your husband is looking for, but it's good for the valley regardless since many other cities/states in the country are net/net losing jobs.
Very well said. To add to what you said, people hear the word "sales" and automatically think low paying. Software sales positions can offer higher pay than what the developers make. Not all sales jobs are just retail or call center

Old 09-02-2015, 09:42 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Very well said. To add to what you said, people hear the word "sales" and automatically think low paying. Software sales positions can offer higher pay than what the developers make. Not all sales jobs are just retail or call center
Yes, very good point. Software sales positions can certainly be very lucrative salary wise.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 PM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
stevek64. "When developers get $200K/year salaries in Arizona" is what I said. I didn't mention Silicon Valley in reference to this and wasn't thinking about it. Arizona should have developer jobs like that.

The OP's article makes a distinction between developers/engineers and sales/back office jobs. Obviously they also think what Arizona is lacking are tech jobs, not support jobs. Arizona has always had plenty of support jobs and lacked technical jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area