Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 13,737 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to az this week and just recently found out i am pregnant. I need a weight friendly Ob that accepts Tricare Prime. cuz i am a big girl, and when you're pregnant you don't need a doctor that is harsh with their comments. I am wanting to make this pregnancy as healthy as possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Seeing no one has replied yet, I want to suggest asking locals friends and co-workers after you move as referrals are often the best but if that is not pertinent, you could conduct your own search on Kudzu.com - Atlanta restaurant reviews, doctors, mechanics, day care, beauty salons, and more and read about the reviews from other clients who had experience.

Sorry a bit vague but being a guy, I couldn't really be more specific.

Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmillan113 View Post
I am moving back to az this week and just recently found out i am pregnant. I need a weight friendly Ob that accepts Tricare Prime. cuz i am a big girl, and when you're pregnant you don't need a doctor that is harsh with their comments. I am wanting to make this pregnancy as healthy as possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
You have to be kidding! Guess you're not... Do you mean overweight people get lectures, too (being a smoker, I've gotten some on the very rare occasions I'm kind of forced to go to a doctor)? Good grief. But why am I surprised...

Old 09-11-2007, 12:33 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Extremely interesting concept here . . .

Why would anyone pay their hard earned money to a Medical Professional for their Professional Advice and then BALK at the advice because they disagree with the cold hard facts.

Smoking and Obesity are both known major health problems and it would be blatant irresponsibility for any Medical Professional worth his weight in aspirins to ignore them in any way!

Once again . . . MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Extremely interesting concept here . . .

Why would anyone pay their hard earned money to a Medical Professional for their Professional Advice and then BALK at the advice because they disagree with the cold hard facts.

Smoking and Obesity are both known major health problems and it would be blatant irresponsibility for any Medical Professional worth his weight in aspirins to ignore them in any way!

Once again . . . MY TWO CENTS WORTH
I don't go to doctors for their advice on lifestyle choices or inevitabilities (being overweight is not necessarily a choice). If I broke a leg, let's say, my smoking has nothing to do it and I'm not looking for unsolicited advice on the subject. Actually, I avoid going to doctors as much as humanly possible for various other reasons I don't plan to share here.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 PM

550 posts, read 3,266,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't go to doctors for their advice on lifestyle choices or inevitabilities (being overweight is not necessarily a choice). If I broke a leg, let's say, my smoking has nothing to do it and I'm not looking for unsolicited advice on the subject. Actually, I avoid going to doctors as much as humanly possible for various other reasons I don't plan to share here.
As someone with a wonky thyroid, I agree that weight issues are not always a choice. (The VAST majority of the time they are, though.) However, a physician's job is to deal with their patient's health, not to simply treat whichever complaint they present with that day. That is reactionary care and is the least effective of all types.

When a physician is faced with a patient who is obese or morbidly obese with no medical explanation for it, they are doing them a disservice if they do not address the issue.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 AM

Angry Idiots!

Sorry if the majority of you misunderstood what I was saying. I would want my Dr. to address my weight issues. That is not what I was asking. I want an OB who will help me carry this baby the healthiest way possible. I DON'T want an OB who is going to judge me for being overweight and throwing it in my face. BIG DIFFERENCE! I work in the medical field so I am very aware of the importance of what your doctor should tell you. Duh! Thanks to everyone else who actually tried to help me, Moderator cut: insults

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2007 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 AM

376 posts, read 490,532 times
Quote:
Sorry if the majority of you misunderstood what I was saying. I would want my Dr. to address my weight issues. That is not what I was asking. I want an OB who will help me carry this baby the healthiest way possible. I DON'T want an OB who is going to judge me for being overweight and throwing it in my face. BIG DIFFERENCE! I work in the medical field so I am very aware of the importance of what your doctor should tell you. Duh! Thanks to everyone else who actually tried to help me,
Welcome to Phoenix! (This is a nice example of the people here)

(sorry I saw Mesa after I wrote this)

I had my son delivered by Dr. Jean Moon. However, that was a long time ago and I was actually anorexic at the time, so had an opposite issue. She did a wonderful job, I ended up needing a Csecion and her stitching was so good-you can hardly tell I have a scar! As far as her bedside manner, sorry but she was a very new dr. when I had my kid, so not sure what she may treat you like now. [Although, being in the medical field, I am assuming that I don't need to tell you that you should work out while preggers so that you do not have to deal with diabetes?] She is located in Scottsdale. I am sorry if I missed which side of town you were looking for. Another thing you may consider is which dr's work out of the Phoenix Children's Hospital in case you may need specialized care for your baby. Or, if you want to be a pampered Scottsdale Princess and have a spa day while giving birth, Scottsdale Healthcare Shea is the Hospital of choice then. Sorry I didn't have more info. Good luck to you and may you and your child be healthy and happy.

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2007 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,163 times
Quote:
Most physicians will rag on you about the lbs. Find a good doctor and listen to him/her. Healthy for you and you child would be working on your obesity.

Harsh comments as opposed to a healthy baby...I think you need to prioritize.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Bottom Line

Thanks again for those of you with helpful comments. Again let me straighten out my question. I need an OB that will tell me everything both good and bad, but not someone who is going to be an ass about it. Someone with good bedside manners. I already have enough to stress about with my husband going to Iraq and me being alone and pregnant with a 3 year old. I am an AZ native, so to those who were wondering if i knew which areas u were talking about, i do. thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area