Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 04:20 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times

Advertisements

In some cities, like New York City, renting a room when you're older isn't unusual - higher cost of living, etc.

What's your take on renting a room (in your 30s / 40s) in Phoenix? Does the laid back culture I read about on here describing Phoenix carry over into this area... Is there a significant number of people with roommates who are older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:19 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
It depends on the area your home is in. If you're near ASU, for example, you'll get a lot of responses to your ads.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:36 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
I rented rooms from three different people in the past, homeowners ranging from roughly 30-50. I've also rented out rooms to people many years ago, although they were mostly people I knew from my office.

As a renter, I always looked for a situation where the owner was living there full time (i.e., not a flop house with random folks coming and going), I had my own bathroom, and the fewer housemates the better.

From the homeowner's point of view, of course they will prefer someone with a job and few/no visitors. If you are wanting to rent out rooms you will get calls from many people who are employment-challenged, and also from people who are getting divorced and will be having kids visiting. Both of these situations are problematic, of course. Perhaps the idea roommate is someone who's commuting to Phoenix for work and just wants a cheap/safe place to sleep during the week. Or perhaps someone who's new to the area and wants to rent a room until they find a permanent place to live.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
In some cities, like New York City, renting a room when you're older isn't unusual - higher cost of living, etc.

What's your take on renting a room (in your 30s / 40s) in Phoenix? Does the laid back culture I read about on here describing Phoenix carry over into this area... Is there a significant number of people with roommates who are older?
Older people are more likely to have a place of their own.

Renting rooms is more common among the younger twentysomethings and even some thirtysomethings.

I work with some younger people who are searching for places to live in safer higher-priced areas but can't afford the rent on their own so their first step is finding someone to share room and board with.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:30 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
I would expect there are way more roommate situations in NYC than in Phoenix, but there's enough here to find what you want if you're patient.

I'm not clear on whether you intend to be the tenant or the landlord. If you're looking for a room, and you have a job and no complicating factors like kids or pets, I think you will be able to find some really nice situations. I much prefer a house sharing situation to apartment living, as long as you can find someone who is compatible.

If you're the potential landlord I think it's tougher. You have to be ready to say "no" to people who are not a good fit, who ignore your rules, etc. Make sure to have a lease agreement in writing, and I would make it month-to-month with a 30-day notice from either party to end the lease. Finding a good housemate is tougher than finding a tenant for a separate rental property, where the main concerns are that the pay on time and don't damage the property.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-16-2015 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,410 times
I currently live by myself (in New York, not in Arizona), but I'm tempted to move to Phoenix and downsize in the process by renting a room or sharing a place. It's good to know that it's not too unusual out there! Thanks for the feedback everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area