Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:31 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times

Advertisements

If anyone remembers, I previously made a thread about how I think Peoria is the Gilbert of the West Valley, however, there was quite a bit of disagreement. So, what would you think is the biggest city parallel between the East and West Valley?

For me, the two cities in the East and West Valley that are most similar to each other are Mesa and Glendale, respectively. Both are relatively established suburbs that are somewhat urban (though less than Phoenix or Tempe), and both contain a mixture of desirable and undesirable areas.

What does anyone here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 02:32 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,730 times
I'd say Tempe is unique... None like Tempe in the West Valley.
What would the Scottsdale of the West Valley be? Vistancia (in terms of nice looking homes?) or not really?

Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
If anyone remembers, I previously made a thread about how I think Peoria is the Gilbert of the West Valley, however, there was quite a bit of disagreement. So, what would you think is the biggest city parallel between the East and West Valley?

For me, the two cities in the East and West Valley that are most similar to each other are Mesa and Glendale, respectively. Both are relatively established suburbs that are somewhat urban (though less than Phoenix or Tempe), and both contain a mixture of desirable and undesirable areas.

What does anyone here think?

Why do this again? The earlier thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...st-valley.html ended up being the same discussion you are asking for now, as other cities entered into the discussion. So people disagreed with you-- that's what happens on forums.

I think you will find, again, that most people do not care which cities in the east and west valleys are most alike, and probably haven't given it a thought. As one of the posters in the other thread asked, why does a city on one side of the Valley have to have a parallel on the other side? They each stand on their own as Phoenix suburbs.

Last edited by observer53; 01-11-2016 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Why do this again? The earlier thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...st-valley.html ended up being the same discussion you are asking for now, as other cities entered into the discussion. So people disagreed with you-- that's what happens on forums.

I think you will find, again, that most people do not care which cities in the east and west valleys are most alike, and probably haven't given it a thought. As one of the posters in the other thread asked, why does a city on one side of the Valley have to have a parallel on the other side? They each stand on their own as Phoenix suburbs.

I couldn't agree more with this! I enjoy the uniqueness of each city here in the valley and prefer they not all be alike. Are you planning a move? Is that why you posed this question?

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 01-12-2016 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
I guess I could say Glendale and Mesa have some parallels, although IMO Mesa is run significantly better than Glendale is. But both are large bland bloated sububs. Maybe Queen Creek and Surprise/Avondale/Goodyear since both are just sprawl on former farmland.

Peoria is nothing like Gilbert.

WV doesn't have a Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, or Scottsdale. Gilbert is one of the wealthiest cities in the state and resembles a western farm town, Peoria is a collection of senseless newer sprawl over what was really pretty desert. Chandler is a major employment hub, Tempe is more urban than anywhere except Phoenix and Scottsdale is an international Tourist destination.

Likewise, WV has newer and nicer Master Planned Communities that aren't found on the East side because it's an older side of town.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I guess I could say Glendale and Mesa have some parallels, although IMO Mesa is run significantly better than Glendale is. But both are large bland bloated sububs. Maybe Queen Creek and Surprise/Avondale/Goodyear since both are just sprawl on former farmland.

Peoria is nothing like Gilbert.

WV doesn't have a Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, or Scottsdale. Gilbert is one of the wealthiest cities in the state and resembles a western farm town, Peoria is a collection of senseless newer sprawl over what was really pretty desert. Chandler is a major employment hub, Tempe is more urban than anywhere except Phoenix and Scottsdale is an international Tourist destination.

Likewise, WV has newer and nicer Master Planned Communities that aren't found on the East side because it's an older side of town.
Goodyear is a younger, less developed version of Gilbert (sans Morman influence that Gilbert had in its earlier days). A lot like I remember Gilbert back in the early 90s. Give it twenty years and you won't be able to tell the difference.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Goodyear is a younger, less developed version of Gilbert (sans Morman influence that Gilbert had in its earlier days). A lot like I remember Gilbert back in the early 90s. Give it twenty years and you won't be able to tell the difference.
I'll concede there, Goodyear has great bones for a good city.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:18 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
I'm from Surprise and after reading the premise of the thread, I yawned very close to how they yawn in Gilbert.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:32 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm from Surprise and after reading the premise of the thread, I yawned very close to how they yawn in Gilbert.
Perhaps you have a twin in Gilbert (in a parallel universe).

Old 01-13-2016, 08:52 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You have a point, I think. Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, Scottsdale all have some history and a bit of individual character. But the rest - the endless suburbia of the south east valley and the growing suburbia of the far west valley are monotonously similar. I have said before that without GPS if you woke up in Goodyear or Gilbert or Chandler or Surprise and several other 'burbs, you would have no way of knowing where you were from the streetscape, or the array of corner stores and mini-malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area