Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
why is the attendance so low? in such a large metro, wouldn't people want to be inside in the ac around ice?
This city isn't a hockey town. This statement includes Glendale, Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale or wherever the rumored local move is. Right now Phoenix is a football town and that is about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:40 AM

586 posts, read 542,361 times
Phoenix is only a sports town when the team is competitive and that goes for football as well. Not that hard to get a cheap Cards ticket to most games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
This city isn't a hockey town. This statement includes Glendale, Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale or wherever the rumored local move is. Right now Phoenix is a football town and that is about it.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:43 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Phoenix is only a sports town when the team is competitive and that goes for football as well. Not that hard to get a cheap Cards ticket to most games.
Very true. I have never seen a front running city like Phoenix.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,493 times
Quote:
Very well-stated.

When I came here in 1996 the Suns were still among the best teams in the NBA and there was more fan support for them.

The Diamondbacks drew a large fanbase when they were series champions.

The Cardinals were pretty lousy then and were scorned more than supported.

Now the tables have turned with the Cardinals having the most support, and the Suns and Diamondbacks have less.

There still is more of a fanbase for football, basketball, and baseball than hockey. I think the only way for the Coyotes to draw a larger fanbase here is to win a Stanley Cup or two or at least make it to the finals.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,831,978 times
This is what I don't understand about sports:

- We help pay for their stadiums via taxes.
- They are able to pay players million dollars a year for salary not too mention the coaches, and everyone else, yet they all have non-profit status and thus pay no taxes. They clearly act in a for-profit manner.
- We worship sports so much that our city will probably just let the hockey team throw $34 million down the drain and build another stadium only for them to complain again. These empty stadiums will probably never be able to fill the void for venues.

It annoys the heck out of me. I don't support any of the sports teams here because of that. Stop screwing me over in taxes and maybe I'll support you. As a Glendale resident I feel pretty strongly about it.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Well, here's how the Coyotes really feel about Glendale.

http://media2.abc15.com/html/pdf/Phe...626.1426639367

Old 05-12-2016, 10:20 PM

586 posts, read 542,361 times
Non profit status?? Not in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
This is what I don't understand about sports:

- We help pay for their stadiums via taxes.
- They are able to pay players million dollars a year for salary not too mention the coaches, and everyone else, yet they all have non-profit status and thus pay no taxes. They clearly act in a for-profit manner.
- We worship sports so much that our city will probably just let the hockey team throw $34 million down the drain and build another stadium only for them to complain again. These empty stadiums will probably never be able to fill the void for venues.

It annoys the heck out of me. I don't support any of the sports teams here because of that. Stop screwing me over in taxes and maybe I'll support you. As a Glendale resident I feel pretty strongly about it.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,357,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I'm not positive, but I think all 32 NFL teams, 30 MLB teams, 30 NBA teams, and 30 NHL teams, are all for-profit entities and have to pay their due taxes where they are located, the players and visiting players, sure as heck do (unless the state has no income tax). Jock tax

I will add that while the goal for teams is to win championships and hopefully make a profit, the way the majority of the 122 teams in the "Big 4" are run, most probably aren't making a profit or a very little one, even after being "given" 200 or 300 or 500 million dollars for new venues to play in. The real profits come when an owner sells after their team or teams appreciate tremendously in value from when they originally bought them.

Last edited by cjseliga; 05-12-2016 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
That is true of all the sun belt booms towns. I was watching the Dbacks at Braves (Atlanta) a couple days ago and never saw a stadium so empty. You have to put a decent team out there no matter the sport. Cards tickets are not cheap anymore and the reason is the team is now a contender. They worked for fan support. The Coyotes, of all the teams, have done the least. The ownership and the players are mostly out of state and foreign nationals who come to play, leave, and bilk the taxpayers for the privilege of watching them lose. They are perennial losers and unless that changes, they will play to an empty house no matter where that house is.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,831,978 times
Quote:
Non profit status?? Not in the NHL.
"The Arizona Coyotes paid the least in taxes, just $39.2 million, a combination of lower taxes and low salaries."

Forbes Welcome

Smallest amount of taxes paid out of every single hockey team because of our tax structure. To be fair I wasn't referring to the jock tax or income tax the others have brought up.

"Major League Baseball decided to forgo its tax-exempt status in 2007. The NHL, PGA and LPGA still have this distinction, while the NBA league office has never been classified as tax-exempt."

NFL league office gives up tax-exempt status

That last article was from one year ago. I can't find anything outside of income tax of the NHL players which is not what I'm referring to besides this article. All the google search engine brings up is the jock tax.

The NHL is no different than the NFL here:

"The NFL's teams are not tax-exempt. They have been paying their share of the huge amounts of money they make. However, the league's main office -- the administrative arm of the league, the people in charge of setting the NFL's rules, organizing its events and such -- is considered tax-exempt."

Why the NFL decided to start paying taxes - SBNation.com

Sports should not have anything tax-exempt. And nothing related to sports should be funded by my tax dollars, including stadiums, especially if they already have one that's perfectly fine. Maybe they should start winning to improve attendance, that'll get people to come much more than a fancy new stadium in a new location. Don't complain about losing money when it is because you suck and not your stadium, it's as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area