Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times

Advertisements

Glendale seeks to keep the Coyotes in place. Glendale eyes $28 million, 5-year arena deal

Phoenix wants them to move downtown. Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton calls for joint Phoenix Suns-Arizona Coyotes arena - ABC15 Arizona

Tempe is wanting in on the deal too. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-could-be.html

It's mind-boggling how a team with such a low fanbase is in such high demand to be kept here, but could a move to downtown or ASU area improve attendance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Hmm, Tempe is an interesting prospect.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Glendale seeks to keep the Coyotes in place. Glendale eyes $28 million, 5-year arena deal

Phoenix wants them to move downtown. Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton calls for joint Phoenix Suns-Arizona Coyotes arena - ABC15 Arizona

Tempe is wanting in on the deal too. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-could-be.html

It's mind-boggling how a team with such a low fanbase is in such high demand to be kept here, but could a move to downtown or ASU area improve attendance?
They're in low demand because they're in Glendale. I'd catch a game or two if they were Downtown or in Tempe. But I'm not fighting my way to Glendale for it.

I like 3/4 of this metro live East of I17 and don't find reason to venture west willingly. Rush hour in the sun? Yuck.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They're in low demand because they're in Glendale. I'd catch a game or two if they were Downtown or in Tempe. But I'm not fighting my way to Glendale for it.

I like 3/4 of this metro live East of I17 and don't find reason to venture west willingly. Rush hour in the sun? Yuck.
Would the team have higher attendance figures if it moved downtown or someplace in the east valley?

I doubt it.

Phoenix is not a hockey-oriented city like many places in Canada or the northern tier of states.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 AM

9 posts, read 9,656 times
Things are changing. AZ is having exponential growth in youth hockey. It takes a while to show dividends, but things are moving in the right direction.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,127 times
Of course attendance would pick up if they moved to Tempe or Phoenix. I'd buy at least ten game pack. There is no way I'm going to Glendale except maybe fora Saturday game.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

A game or 2 won't save the team. The current D Backs and Suns teams can attest to their "record" breaking attendance figures that Phoenix is a front running city who doesn't support their teams in rough times.
Quote:
Would the team have higher attendance figures if it moved downtown or someplace in the east valley?

I doubt it.

Phoenix is not a hockey-oriented city like many places in Canada or the northern tier of states.
Maybe for the first 2 years but the long term answer is no.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
A game or 2 won't save the team. The current D Backs and Suns teams can attest to their "record" breaking attendance figures that Phoenix is a front running city who doesn't support their teams in rough times.

Maybe for the first 2 years but the long term answer is no.
Yeah, the novelty would soon wear off. A losing team plays in front of empty seats regardless of where that is. Ask the Cardinals how it went in Tempe when they put a lousy product on the field. And it was not just when it was hot. I walked up all season and bought my tickets at half of face value. That was with a sport that is phenomenally popular, not hockey which has a niche following in this area.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM

586 posts, read 541,703 times
I'll counter that as I'm giving up my tickets if I have to drive to Tempe. Downtown I still go. Not all fans live on the East side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Of course attendance would pick up if they moved to Tempe or Phoenix. I'd buy at least ten game pack. There is no way I'm going to Glendale except maybe fora Saturday game.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I'll counter that as I'm giving up my tickets if I have to drive to Tempe. Downtown I still go. Not all fans live on the East side.
No but 2/3 of the city lives in Phoenix or the EV. We'd lose 1/3 and gain 2/3. Driving west to Glendale is the sole reason I don't go. I don't want to spend an hour in rush hour with the sun in my eyes, that's a big reason why I don't live in the WV in the first place.

The Suns have low attendance because they are one of the worst teams in the league, owned by a controversial figure, and are being called out by their own alum publicly.

Even if the Coyotes put out a good product (like they did for a year or two) the location still alienates half the city and like you would think, their attendance was still bottom-rung.

It's Glendale plain and simple, we all know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area