Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:56 AM

17 posts, read 25,614 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I live in Orange County, CA and my parents moved from Houston to AZ about 6 years ago and ended up most recently for 3 years in Chander (Ray Rd & McQueen). They have been raising the rent for a while and it's now at $1300 a month so with the ability to finally buy a house they started looking.

They wanted to get closer to freeway (101) because the commute was pretty long to work for my dad to near downtown phoenix and my mom works at Warner and Priest. They found a good house in their price range (under 215,000) right near the Chandler Fashion Center (Basically off of McClintock between Chandler & 202).

The neighborhood and house looks good for the price and her realtor said based on the market in that area we should basically pay ask price which they did since most houses are getting multiple offers etc.

Looking at the comps the realtor sent, there was a spike in pricing in the past 3 months or so from what sold then to what is selling there now. Average $ SQFT from before 2016 were basically around $165 but the last few houses were around $175. Based on all of this I had a few questions of the experts in the city.

1. Do the summer months usually kick up the prices or is that just a market trend?
2. How is that area in terms of Chandler?
3. This house has grass in the backyard with a sprinkler system. Is that just an added hassle? Old location was the desert look. Does grass raise the price for a house in AZ since so many are desert styles?
4. Is this part of Chandler and location a good place for their house to maintain or raise in value?
5. If things changed and they had to move to Cali for their grand children, is this area of single family homes a good rental area?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 04:06 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,734,016 times
I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I used to live in the area you mentioned.

1. The increase is due to the current market trends. I have watched rents and housing prices gradually increase over the past few years. That is a desireable location because of the close proximity to the highways (101, 202,10 and 60), the mall and the Intel plant. The schools also are good.

2.See my answer to #1.
3. Not sure grass raises the value much, if any. It will be more expensive than a simple desert landscape. Many people hire a local lawn service.
4. Barring another major economic collapse I'd say homes in that area will hold their value.
5. Yes it is a good rental area. Homes don't stay vacant for long there.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
I used to live in that area as well about 10 years ago. Nice little neighborhood...a bit older homes. goolsbyjazz is spot on. Pricing in the area are not an anomaly...Chandler is very popular right now.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,959,505 times
This is always the most expensive time of the year. People are getting their tax returns and kids are getting out of school. If your parents can wait, they might get a better deal in September after school has started. But the area is really good.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM

17 posts, read 25,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I used to live in the area you mentioned.

1. The increase is due to the current market trends. I have watched rents and housing prices gradually increase over the past few years. That is a desireable location because of the close proximity to the highways (101, 202,10 and 60), the mall and the Intel plant. The schools also are good.

2.See my answer to #1.
3. Not sure grass raises the value much, if any. It will be more expensive than a simple desert landscape. Many people hire a local lawn service.
4. Barring another major economic collapse I'd say homes in that area will hold their value.
5. Yes it is a good rental area. Homes don't stay vacant for long there.
Thank you for the detailed information. I think it makes me feel a little better about paying a bit more for he house from the end of last year and since it's on par with what is on sale or sold this past month in that area. In terms of the lawn, it does have a sprinkler system which is nice, but I guess they would have to just mow it from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I used to live in that area as well about 10 years ago. Nice little neighborhood...a bit older homes. goolsbyjazz is spot on. Pricing in the area are not an anomaly...Chandler is very popular right now.
Thank you very much for your opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
This is always the most expensive time of the year. People are getting their tax returns and kids are getting out of school. If your parents can wait, they might get a better deal in September after school has started. But the area is really good.
Yeah I figured the summer was definitely going to be a hotter time in terms of sales, but my parents had to be out of their rental by Sept 1 and they started looking now just in case. They didn't intend on finding something so quickly. Based on my mom's price point and what she was seeing around Chandler and Awutukee this hit the most bullet points of needs. She was afraid of it getting scooped up since the past few years when she did look for something, everyone was over paying and bidding was crazy. Also the houses in that area were all listing for more than this one and didn't meet any of her needs and weren't as upgraded.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
I used to live by the Chandler Fashion Mall near Chandler Boulevard and the 101, it was a very nice family-friendly neighborhood with good schools nearby.

Your parents picked a great area to live.

I can't say for certain if homes with grass lawns are more expensive than non-grass lawns, I think a lot of it depends on the house itself and the location.

I can say for certain that grass and shadetrees add a cooling effect and make being outdoors much more pleasant especially in the hotter times of year.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 AM

273 posts, read 350,395 times
Chandler is overrated in my opinion. Chandler is flat, dusty and its economy is heavily reliant on Intel. Intel just announced 500 layoffs in Chandler which will be bad news for home values and the overall economy. If Intel announces further layoffs in the future, which I suspect, it will have a devestating impact on the region.

I would recommend your parents look at Scottsdale or areas of north Phoenix like Desert Ridge, Norterra, Arrowhead or even Anthem where home values should appreciate a lot faster than Chandler/Gilbert. Hope that helps

Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,632 times
Is Chandler a nice city in which to retire? Chandler and south Tempe were recommended to me in another thread I started as nice areas in which to live as well, and I was wondering how those cities rate for retirement purposes since I'll be visiting later this week.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,959,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Chandler is overrated in my opinion. Chandler is flat, dusty and its economy is heavily reliant on Intel. Intel just announced 500 layoffs in Chandler which will be bad news for home values and the overall economy. If Intel announces further layoffs in the future, which I suspect, it will have a devestating impact on the region.

I would recommend your parents look at Scottsdale or areas of north Phoenix like Desert Ridge, Norterra, Arrowhead or even Anthem where home values should appreciate a lot faster than Chandler/Gilbert. Hope that helps
That area of Chandler has diversified a great deal. It has some of the highest paying jobs in the metro. There will be little to no affect on the economy there because of Intel layoffs. Intel has been laying off for close to a decade now.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:27 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Is Chandler a nice city in which to retire? Chandler and south Tempe were recommended to me in another thread I started as nice areas in which to live as well, and I was wondering how those cities rate for retirement purposes since I'll be visiting later this week.

Thanks!
There are a few retirees in Chandler, but be aware that your property taxes may be a bit higher than surrounding areas. We vote for and pass bonds to fund our schools when the state won't, which translates into marginally higher property taxes. If you want retirement communities though, Sun Lakes is just South of Chandler...South Tempe is nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area