Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

I am really very happy that I came across all the post that I have that speaks of AZ. I am a African American woman. I am very interested in moving in the area in the next year or two. While doing a research at the library, a white person stood behind me and said you might want to reconsider moving there. At present, I live in Oceanside, CA, just looking for a new spot to start over at. Even where I reside now I am surrounded by cities, where blacks are not welcome by whites. As the lady said before, it's best to find a place where there is lot's of diversity as I have here in California. I myself hate that racism even exist. I think people should except people for who they are. I hate I live in a country that I cannot move freely to any place I please. I appreciate the info on the locations where blacks are a little bit more than welcome thank you. I would save my money and move else where, who wants to live in a location where they know them and their children are not welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
There is no history of black/white racism. Many years ago there were movements about immigrants, but that's a little different. There is some old history of white/Hispanic segregation many many years ago, but it's a relic of the past. Back then south of Van Buren was the Hispanic area and north was for whites. A lot of that has been torn down and people segregate themselves by income.

Phoenix is one of the more racially integrated cities I've been to. Many cities are segregated by race, Phoenix is integrated and segregated by income. You should be fine, that person who told you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:15 AM

975 posts, read 1,405,375 times
The African American and white communities in Phoenix are probably more integrated than anywhere else I've lived. I second the above comment, there is no rampant black / white racism in the Phoenix area. Yes, a few boneheads exist, but there is no city where blacks are not "welcome".

While not scientific, it does appear that in Phoenix most people have African American, white, Asian, and Hispanic friends in their circle of friends or close acquaintances. Very few people segregate themselves to their own racial group.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:20 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,713,486 times
I will disagree with the previous comments. It seems to me that the area is quite segregated, and possibly racist. On the other hand, I think it's improving.

Meanwhile, to take you literally, in fact you can move freely to any place you please. You may or may not be as welcome as you hope, but you're still free to move. And I think all of us should be brave and move exactly where we please, and be "pioneers," if necessary, rather than only retreat to places where it's all "our own kind of people."

Old 11-26-2016, 04:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I will disagree with the previous comments. It seems to me that the area is quite segregated, and possibly racist. On the other hand, I think it's improving.

Meanwhile, to take you literally, in fact you can move freely to any place you please. You may or may not be as welcome as you hope, but you're still free to move. And I think all of us should be brave and move exactly where we please, and be "pioneers," if necessary, rather than only retreat to places where it's all "our own kind of people."
Yeah, my dad's aunt has lived here since Eisenhower's presidency, and she told me about how Scottsdale and Paradise Valley PD's used to enforce NNZ's (No N-word Zones). And there was redlining here, hence South Phoenix was where all the black people lived until desegregation

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
I'd say people I've encountered in Arizona tend to direct their ire toward the issue of people who don't speak English rather than what color a person is. People make a big issue of Spanish-speakers, including some I've met who are of Latino heritage themselves. The most prejudicial remarks I hear are about immigrants.

I live in the Northwest suburb of Tucson in a subdivision with homes in the $200,000 price range. The majority of residents are white but there are African-American families and Latinos living here. I didn't know we had Asians but Asian kids showed up at my door on Halloween, so welcome to them, too. The vast majority of my white neighbors came here from somewhere else and are not Arizona natives. I'm from Pennsylvania. The people who live on my cul-de-sac:

A blonde retired divorcee, originally from Oklahoma, who married an engineer from the Middle East and she raised their Arabic-named children abroad while he was working on projects. She does volunteer work with the homeless.

Another divorcee who is a native of Finland and came to Tucson via California for a job she has with the Bureau of Land Management. A vegan who's obsessed with her landscaping.

A white divorced single father who works for the state deaf-services agency and is raising an adopted son who is autistic.

A white elementary school teacher who is a native of New England. She still has college-aged offspring who come and go. Says this is the first time she's ever been able to travel, so she does and her kids take turns coming to the house to take care of her German shepherd.

A couple of immigrants from Mexico who work in healthcare and have a daughter and son who go to Catholic school. I never asked but I'm sure they're here legally since they go to across the border a lot to visit her parents.

A retired cable TV installer and his wife who only live here in the winter and go back to Columbus, OH, in the summer. If anyone on the street is a FOX News viewer, I'd vote for this guy who talks about fighting in Vietnam all the time.

An African-American sheriff who has a wife and two teenaged kids. They have a lot of pool parties and are active in a church.

The head pastor of the local Catholic church who is from Texas and doesn't appear to be Caucasian but I don't know anything about his ethnic background and, of course, don't care. He has a tiny dog and a huge Buick.

I came here from Pennsylvania to take care of my now 90-year-old mother who is disabled. I feel confident that when I need to sell her house I can sell it to whomever and no one will complain.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:03 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
If you think Phoenix is segregated, especially towards black people, you may need some more life experience

Phoenix had a relatively small black population. It is also a suburban city that typically groups by where you can afford a home.

Phoenix is also a new city. A lot of the local black population is mobile and like so many others have moved from somewhere else.

If you have a good job, you'll but into a good neighborhood and there aren't any big issues and no one in that neighborhood will look sideways.

The biggest complaint I've heard from the black people I know out here is that there isn't really a neighborhood or concentrated black population so it's an adjustment from the cities with larger populations and more segregated neighborhoods where there may be a salon, barbershop, church, community center, etc that is predominantly black

Old 11-27-2016, 10:38 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine68 View Post
While doing a research at the library, a white person stood behind me and said you might want to reconsider moving there.
Yeah, that happened.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,968,833 times
Yes, racism is sad. Even sadder still that it exists today. I think you'll do just fine in Phoenix, as the area is very integrated. That being said, I find FAAAAAAAAR more racism from blacks than whites, so let's not go painting whites as the only racists here. You can move anywhere you want in the country w/o retribution (for the most part). You might get jeers from losers, or some words of malcontent from idiots, true. However, I couldn't move into most neighborhoods in Chicago alone w/o fear of being murdered solely based on my skin color. Let that sink in for a few minutes.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:59 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Yeah, that happened.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area