Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,822 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry if this is a repetitive thread. I cannot find anything current (in 2016) about it.

We are relocating to Queen Creek, Arizona from the suburbs of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We are fairly conservative, I am Asian-American, husband is Caucasian, and we have three kids (2 in early elementary school, one 4 year old). We are Christian and will be very involved in a non-denominational church. We will also be heavily involved in the whole community due to our family business. Anyhow, we love people. This is not a discrimination against the LDS community.

Here's the thing- we have met several people, including a couple former teachers that ARE Mormons themselves and have taught in the East Valley of Arizona and have testified that the LDS families are very, very nice. But as teachers in the schools, they did find that the LDS kids were not very inclusive to those who were not Mormon. They have said that many kids can be mean because of this. I also realize that this is life. I know that I cannot protect them from everything. But reality is is that we are moving to another state and I want to be a part of a city/area where all people are welcomed. I am writing to find out more from those who actually live or have lived in Queen Creek, Gilbert, or southeast Chandler areas (we are looking to live south of 202) about their recent life experiences with the public schools and LDS kids- anything positive or negative. I really want to learn and get a feel about the schools. We will be moving in Jan/Feb.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 11:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
I lived in QC from 2012 to 2014. I will be moving back at the end of this month. I am Christian and although they do exclude non-LDS (the kids, the parent recruit if the opportunity presents) but all in all they weren't "mean." Just not real engaging or friendly. You could tell their parents coached them into believing non-LDS were bad. I am moving back though. Stay away from ALA Charter School. Desert Mountain has a great reputation.
There are non-denominational churches out there (Rock Point).
Funny thing, I lived in West Bend in my late 20's/early thirties. I think you'll like it in QC bu you'll have to change you interests from smelt fry Friday, ice fishing etc, to hiking, swimming and trips to the mountains and lakes!
Good luck. Be sure your kids can swim too!

Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I think you will be fine, but this would not be even a minor issue if you were moving anywhere in metro Phoenix except the southeast Valley (excluding Tempe and Chandler). If you have other options in the Phoenix area, you should consider those as well, but if Queen Creek is the set destination, I think you can make things work out fine. There are plenty of kids who are NOT LDS, (none of the people I know in QC are LDS) and not all the LDS kids will be unfriendly or exclusionary to your kids.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 PM

346 posts, read 339,309 times
I would think the kids of non denominational Christians would fit right in with Mormon kids. Outside of you and your husband going to a different church on Sundays you all will fit right in as well. Past Tempe and it gets a bit too conservative for my tastes but your family should have no issues.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:56 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
I don't know if this is true but I was told every school including all state owned in Gilbert the land was donated by LDS church so each school is across the street from an LDS church this was planned this way. I don't know about Queen Creek that is what I heard. The LDS people I know at work seem to be very nice people I would be surprised that their kids were mean to other kids who are not LDS your always going to run into some mean kids that's life.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:41 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't know if this is true but I was told every school including all state owned in Gilbert the land was donated by LDS church so each school is across the street from an LDS church this was planned this way. I don't know about Queen Creek that is what I heard.
Somebody is pulling your chain. However, the land for the Gilbert LDS Temple was donated by an LDS elder (who then built a 260+ home subdivision right next to it).

Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 24,504 times
I am also originally from MKE and have first hand knowledge of the schools here. Your children will not have any problems in the public schools in Gilbert or Chandler. The charter schools however tend to lean LDS especially ALA. Queen creek can have some issues with LDS exclusion but it is big enough for your children to find friends. PM me if you need any questions on a particular school or district.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:48 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
I've never had problems with the LDS community? It's, perhaps, a little insular, but it's not like every student is a member of LDS, it's like having another clique.

You should be fine, Gilbert/Queen Creek are nice towns, although if you could, you could quash your fears and just move to Chandler. Chandler is more diverse than Gilbert and has, in many cases, better public schools. The city prides itself on its public schools, and it has a lot of high paying employment for a suburb.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2016, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 413,604 times
You will be fine...I live in QC and have been here since 1999. I live in the Pecans near Hawes and Chandler heights. We are not LDS.
My son went to Desert Mtn, and then Qc middle school and then Qc high . My daughter went to CTA freedom near shamrock estates and then Payne JR and now Casteel high school.
Lot of friends both LDS and non.
Never an issue.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,822 times
Thank you for all the great responses. I'm feeling better lol. Ideally, we'd live in QC to be near the business, but I'm liking the idea of southeast Chandler...Overall, I've heard great things about Chandler and Queen Creek. We're really excited to move out there.

I may be back with more questions! Thank you all again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area