Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM

64 posts, read 74,497 times

Advertisements

I immigrated here from another country too. It sucks that I had a perfect credit score in my home country, and as soon as I moved here, I became essentially a credit risk, with zero credit (which is treated like bad credit).

Do you have any relatives here with good credit, who might be willing to let you "piggy back" off theirs for a year? It basically adds your name to their card, and after a year you wind up with the same credit scores as them (roughly). I did this because I married an American.

The only other way would be to get a US-based card as soon as you can and start establishing credit.

As far as apartment renting is concerned, as long as you come in with enough cash up front to cover costs, I think people would overlook the lack of a credit score. As long as you can explain things, you're good. You might have to put more money up front to cover the liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Am I correct in understanding from your post that you've never had a credit card issued in the country you live in now? You pay cash for everything?
No, of course not, I do have (several) credit cards, a loan and a great credit score here, at home. Problem is that this does not "transfer" when I go to the US, nor there are any US banks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
If you want to live near bars, restaurants, clubs, and want to live in a walkable neighborhood that is pretty close to North Scottsdale I highly suggest you look into old town Scottsdale. What's your price range?
I don't know, it really depends on how much money they'd want in advance, but if it is just first month + deposit, probably about $1200. If they want more rent in advance, I'd probably need to go lower than that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovinGal View Post
I immigrated here from another country too. It sucks that I had a perfect credit score in my home country, and as soon as I moved here, I became essentially a credit risk, with zero credit (which is treated like bad credit).

Do you have any relatives here with good credit, who might be willing to let you "piggy back" off theirs for a year? It basically adds your name to their card, and after a year you wind up with the same credit scores as them (roughly). I did this because I married an American.

The only other way would be to get a US-based card as soon as you can and start establishing credit.

As far as apartment renting is concerned, as long as you come in with enough cash up front to cover costs, I think people would overlook the lack of a credit score. As long as you can explain things, you're good. You might have to put more money up front to cover the liability.

No, I don't have anyone Obviously, I will start establishing credit immediately, but this wouldn't help me with an apartment, seeing that I will need to live somewhere

Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 1,799 times
Moved to Phoenix from abroad 3 years ago.. same situation, no credit history here etc.

(1) My wife had a German driving license, so getting an AZ one was as simple as going to the office, completing forms and getting it sorted within a week.

(2) Apartment; most of the larger ones offered us an apartment without any issue, we just had to put down a larger deposit.

(3) Credit card; BofA have a good way of building a credit score. Put down $500 as a credit line and get a card with them with the $500 limit. After 12 months, you get the $500 back in your account and if you've been good your CL is increased and you've got the makings of a credit score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area