Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 7,261 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've heard Litchfield Park and Surprise are good places so been looking there. Is it better to rent or buy in your opinion??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 11:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Up to your situation, how long you plan on being in, etc.

Dreaming Summit does have a LP address, but it is unincorporated Maricopa County. Not a huge deal, but send get surprised paying non resident rates for youth sorts and the like through the actual city of LP

I love Wadell as well, I think it gets forgotten because there just isn't much there. If your are living there you are popping into those other 3 cities & verrado

Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeUBeBeautiful View Post
We have 3 Dogs (2 little Chihuahuas and a 1yr old German Shepherd.. ) and 2 cats.
Five pets is going to make it very, very, VERY DIFFICULT to rent. The German Shepherd alone will get you declined by many landlords due to dangerous dog restrictions from insurance companies.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I hope you have a Plan B (like being able to purchase instead of rent). Even with a purchased home, HOA's often limit the number of pets per home. Typically for a SFR, it's four. Though not often enforced, I do know of two cases where the HOA stepped in where a homeowner had four dogs. One sold the house (we were the eventual buyers), the other rehomed some of her fosters.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Does every home have an HOA? I think it's stupid that if you own a home, someone can tell you that you can't have a certain animal... We are in the middle of trying to sell our home in Florida. If it sales then we would be able to purchase a new one there, if we can't find anyone to rent to us. My husband has at minimum 5 years left in the Military.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Does every home have an HOA? I think it's stupid that if you own a home, someone can tell you that you can't have a certain animal... We are in the middle of trying to sell our home in Florida. If it sales then we would be able to purchase a new one there, if we can't find anyone to rent to us. My husband has at minimum 5 years left in the Military.
Not EVERY home has an HOA, but they are pervasive in the Phoenix metro area especially with homes built after 1980. I don't know of any HOA in a single family residence community that has breed restrictions - it's not the type of animal they are concerned about, but the number.

Thank you BOTH for your service.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,433 times
Quote:
We will be coming to Luke AFB around the beginning of October. What towns near Luke are the best to live. We are a family of 4. We have 2 Elementary aged kids. Want somewhere that has lots of families(and schools that aren't too terrible bad). Was looking at Surprise and Litchfield Park. Any of those good? Don't want to be too far from base, as my husband will be driving there everyday for work. Any info would be great.. If you know any places opening up in Oct to rent, that would be awesome too. Looking for a 4bd 2 plus bath home. At least 2000sq ft, and must allow dogs and cats. Thanks guys for any info you can send my way.. I am a FL girl born and raised in Panama City, FL. I am dreading having to drive interstates LOL, but looking forward to a bigger city setting, with way more things to do..
I was just vacationing in your lovely town a few weeks ago! Love that area of the gulf coast- I spent my hs years in FWB when my dad was stationed at Eglin. We moved every 3-4 years for my entire youth, and that is fairly typical of the military. So if you guys have at least 5 more years then it is quite likely that you'll move again before he's out, which means you have that to consider when thinking about buying vs renting.

My dad only bought once, and we rented everywhere else. My son otoh, has 16 years in the USAF now, and they have moved 3 times and bought a house every time. so ymmv. and there are plenty of places with no stupid hoa.

The places others have suggested are a good place to start, but also I would check with the base- they face this a lot, with new families moving around, and they probably provide advice and help in this area.

good luck and thanks for your service.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 PM

194 posts, read 291,848 times
We rented for the 2 years we were in Goodyear. We happened to get a great deal with a good landlord. But he decided to sell the place, so we were left with trying to find a new rental or try to purchase. Since we moved to AZ in 2014 the rental market has gone crazy. There is no way we could have found a similar place, so we were left with upping our rental price $400-500 month, or purchasing a home with a similar mortgage. And I hear right now the rental market is competitive because there are not a lot of available homes. We just looked into purchasing and the right home popped up. We didn't have a ton in savings but we took advantage of a government grant that allowed us to get into a home for practically nothing. We're happy with our decision to own. We also have pets, and while rentals here seem to be more pet friendly than where we moved from, I still didn't want the stress of renting.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,007 times
Quote:
We will be coming to Luke AFB around the beginning of October. What towns near Luke are the best to live. We are a family of 4. We have 2 Elementary aged kids. Want somewhere that has lots of families(and schools that aren't too terrible bad). Was looking at Surprise and Litchfield Park. Any of those good? Don't want to be too far from base, as my husband will be driving there everyday for work. Any info would be great.. If you know any places opening up in Oct to rent, that would be awesome too. Looking for a 4bd 2 plus bath home. At least 2000sq ft, and must allow dogs and cats. Thanks guys for any info you can send my way.. I am a FL girl born and raised in Panama City, FL. I am dreading having to drive interstates LOL, but looking forward to a bigger city setting, with way more things to do..
Welcome to Arizona, by the way. I think you'll like it here, it's a nice place to live.

I'm here today because of Luke AFB - My dad was stationed there and met my mom, who was a civilian worker, there.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I was just vacationing in your lovely town a few weeks ago! Love that area of the gulf coast- I spent my hs years in FWB when my dad was stationed at Eglin. We moved every 3-4 years for my entire youth, and that is fairly typical of the military. So if you guys have at least 5 more years then it is quite likely that you'll move again before he's out, which means you have that to consider when thinking about buying vs renting.

My dad only bought once, and we rented everywhere else. My son otoh, has 16 years in the USAF now, and they have moved 3 times and bought a house every time. so ymmv. and there are plenty of places with no stupid hoa.

The places others have suggested are a good place to start, but also I would check with the base- they face this a lot, with new families moving around, and they probably provide advice and help in this area.

good luck and thanks for your service.

We aren't lucky about moving.. He's been in 16 years, and we've spent 15 of it here.. A year he did in Korea, then came back here so we could have our second child. I am born and raised here, so liked having my Mom here with me. We finally got approved when we put in a BOP to come to Luke. Every other one had been denied lol

Old 07-26-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post
We rented for the 2 years we were in Goodyear. We happened to get a great deal with a good landlord. But he decided to sell the place, so we were left with trying to find a new rental or try to purchase. Since we moved to AZ in 2014 the rental market has gone crazy. There is no way we could have found a similar place, so we were left with upping our rental price $400-500 month, or purchasing a home with a similar mortgage. And I hear right now the rental market is competitive because there are not a lot of available homes. We just looked into purchasing and the right home popped up. We didn't have a ton in savings but we took advantage of a government grant that allowed us to get into a home for practically nothing. We're happy with our decision to own. We also have pets, and while rentals here seem to be more pet friendly than where we moved from, I still didn't want the stress of renting.
Yes, I don't want to rent, hubby does.. We have a house here in Panama City, FL that we are trying to sell.. As long as we sell it before moving to AZ, We could have the option of owning.. Either way, I won't be getting rid of any animals. I've had all since birth. One of them is 12 years old(cat), Another is 11(my Chihuahua), then other Chihuahua is around 8 years old, Youngest Cat is 2, and then my Shepherd Just turned 1 on Sunday.. LOL Lots of Pet's but they are my family. We would only have 4, but we got Angel(German shepherd) because of my Mom passing last year on July 24th. Angel was born on the exact same day. I had really bad depression, and she totally brought me back to life.. I am praying everything goes well for us, and it works out in our favor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area