Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:01 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,914 times

Advertisements

We are 55+ and considering moving to Sun City, Sun City West, El Mirage, Peoria, Avondale or Goodyear. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each area. We've previously lived in West & North Glendale so we are aware of traffic/commute times. We never looked at living in any of these cities before.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 03:23 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
With SC or SCW you will not have any city / school taxes to pay. You will have rec center fees however. The rec center fees pay for many amenities the other communities do not have though, so to me, they are well worth it.

SC or SCW also does not have any kids, if that matters to you. The other communities will have more shopping and entertainment options, if that is important. Since you are familiar with the areas, you know what the commute would be like from SC or SCW to these options.

In general, SC has older and therefore cheaper homes than SCW, but both communities will give you more bang for the buck than the others you listed because there is a smaller pool of potential buyers (limited to 55 and older in SC and SCW).

In my opinion, I would not consider El Mirage because of "undesireable elements". Parts of Goodyear and Avondale suffer from the same problem, but there are other areas in both that are nice. Peoria would probably be your most expensive option in general. Surprise could be another consideration that has some nice areas.

Personally, having neighbors who are respectful, considerably lower taxes, and the wealth of clubs and activities is why I love living in SCW. Obviously, each person is different. When I was looking, I did tend to favor SCW a little more over SC because of less traffic. SC has several major through streets running through the middle of it, where SCW is almost like a gated community with little through traffic. However, SCW is further out from the heart of Phoenix.

Feel free to PM me if you need more details about SCW.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
In my opinion Sun City (and to a lesser extent Sun City West) is the very best value for a 55+ community in the nation for reasons cited by Dewey59. We looked hard at SC and SCW and in the end we preferred Sun City Grand and the community we now call home, Sun City Festival. Details on our investigation can be found on these pages dating back to June, 2014 in threads titled “Our Retirement Community Visit”.*

*We also investigated areas around Tucson and in the San Tan Valley areas which are also mentioned.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 PM

262 posts, read 307,714 times
I'm curious why you would consider El Mirage. Have you considered Sun City Grand in Surprise? It's very close to SCW. Not all areas of SCW are low taxes BTW.

I like Buckeye and Goodyear.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:25 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
SCW is only one city by itself and it's taxes are low. SC taxes are low too. Both are in the county with no school districts. The Sun Cities have the lowest crime rates too.
SC Grand is in the City of Surprise which has the highest taxes in the State.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
Not all areas of SCW are low taxes BTW.

I like Buckeye and Goodyear.
I was not aware of this.... can you please provide specifics?

Old 08-11-2016, 07:58 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
I was not aware of this.... can you please provide specifics?
That area around El Mirage and the 303 is SCW but it's zoned for nearby Peoria School District. I'd wager they have higher taxes in that area.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 AM

262 posts, read 307,714 times
When I was considering a home in SCW, Dewey49, I noticed that the property taxes on similar properties varied for no apparent reason. A realtor gave me a map of the development that outlined the homes in the low-tax area. Being in the low-tax area is often mentioned in a home listing as a selling point.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 PM

JGM,

By El Mirage, I'm assuming you mean El Mirage Road, since the city of El Mirage is no where near the 303. The area by the 303 and El Mirage Road is a separate development called Corte Bella. They share a zip code with SCW, but they are not part of the SCW community.

Realtors often mislead their clients into thinking it is part of SCW and that they will have access to the clubs and activities in SCW, but that is not correct. I shouldn't say they all mislead... some are just ignorant! I recently corrected a realtor who posted information on the internet that SCW was part of Surprise. What was worse was she said she meant it was near Surprise but did not correct what she had posted! I am astonished at the incompetence and deceptive practices of some realtors.

Densi,

Is Corte Bella the area that you are referring to also? If not, can you provide me with specific areas in SCW that are low tax and high tax? As a SCW resident, I am interested in knowing where I fall, because this information is new to me! Maybe you had one of those bad realtors too!

Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 PM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
JGM,

Densi,

Is Corte Bella the area that you are referring to also? If not, can you provide me with specific areas in SCW that are low tax and high tax? As a SCW resident, I am interested in knowing where I fall, because this information is new to me! Maybe you had one of those bad realtors too!
I believe any SCW property north of Deer Valley Drive falls into the higher tax area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area