Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM

190 posts, read 449,584 times

Advertisements

I found a cool hot tub (well cool for me) - that comes in at about 5K for the largest model. What I like about it is that it is made of this tough plastic or polyethylene material that can hold up to temperature extremes and is impact resistant etc. It comes with a cover of the same stuff that can be handled by one person - and the unit and cover come with a lifetime warranty... It's called a Tuff Spa...

It can be plugged into regular 110 and can be moved to where you want it in the yard - on grass - on pebbles, dirt or where ever you choose. 2 speed pumps, a 15'cord, LED lighting, stairs, a tray to serve food/drinks - come with it - and you can get an IPod docking system for an extra sum.

For medical reasons I'm told it's good to get one if at all possible and/or a pool.

Does anyone have advice or experience with the Tuff Spa? I have never owned a spa before but have owned a pool before.

Are there things to think about that a non-Native AZ person wouldn't normally consider? I was told it is cheaper to leave it running than to turn it off and then try to heat water each time. It's so hot in AZ much of the time - keeping it cool enough seems like a summertime concern perhaps....? But in winter - it's just normal outside.

Thanks for any stories about hot tubs and what to look for or watch out for in buying and using..as always I take your opinions and advice into consideration as I get adjusted to AZ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM

190 posts, read 449,584 times
Also I'm digging around for the city guidelines on pool fencing - does a spa that's a plastic moveable thing with a lockable lid considered need for special fencing? The yard in the house I hope to get (yeah still waiting) - is fenced with old chain-link on three walls - and one neighbor wall is cement block. The chain link is lockable - but just have to figure out how. It's not all that tall - as it's kind of old from the 60's. thanks!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
I don't know about the Tuff Spa, sorry. Sounds good though.

But here's a link to the Arizona pool fence statutes. Each city may also have statutes, bylaws, or ordinances that have to be at least as strict as those above. The Arizona Association of REALTORS(r) has more information here. This is also an informative link to check out from the Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona. Chain link fencing most likely does not meet code. Little kids can climb it. You may be required to install more adequate fencing.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It's gonna take a long time to heat up on 110v, so no spontaneous use unless you leave it plugged in. I am able to run mine (220v) so that it only heats up on off peak electric. Then it falls off during the day. It only drops a couple degrees and then heats up in a half hour or so to best temp. That might not be possible with 110. It would not matter if you are not on a time of day rate, though, as you could just leave it on 24/7.

The other thing is mine gets too hot to use in summer so I drain it. It gets over 104 and the safety system locks it out! I don't like to sit in it in summer anyway. Winter is awesome though and I am so glad I have it. It gets much more use than our pool on an annual basis.

Something else you might check is if your heater and your pumps can run at the same time. That would be a load for 110, for sure, so maybe not. If not, the water is going to cool as you sit limiting your time somewhat.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

412 posts, read 679,382 times
When I was shopping for my hot tub I found this website most helpful. After talking to people, I opted for the 220v... It heats much more quickly and efficiently, and allows me to run all the jets on high and the heater, although that isn't the case with ALL 220v systems. 50-60amp allows you to use most of the functionality all at the same time.

Hot Tub Spa Buyers Guide - Consumer Information Reports & Ratings

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Not sure of the type you are looking at, but we purchased a Soft Tub spa and the thing is terrific! We bought the middle size - perfect for two people, fine for three, cozy for four adults. It does not require a cement base and runs on 110. The motor goes on 4/day for 15 minutes or less. Very quiet. Our electric bill, in the dead of winter, showed an increase of MAYBE 5 bucks from this unit.

When the weather heats up, we turn the temperature down. Keeps the water quite comfortable - not hot, but not cold either. If we wanted it cold to cool off, we could easily float a bag of ice in the thing.

Easy and cheap to maintain. Ours did not come with all the bells and whistles, but with the cover, extra juts and tax and delivery, it was less than $3000. Self setup (easy) and we can take it with us if we move.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 29,979 times
We bought the Tuff Spa, model number TT200 about 5 weeks ago and love it. As we live in SoCal, our climate is similar to yours though proabably not as hot.

We choose this spa for all the same reasons you listed. Love the idea of one piece molded polymer for the tub and covers, makes a lot of sense. We have our sitting on the patio behind the house.

As I have arthritis, I use it everyday for at least 30 minutes and - gotta tell ya - can't believe the difference it's made in my life. Well worth it.

Now about the 110. Ours and the model you're considering are wired for both 110 and 220. That means you can start at 110 and eventually upgrade your wiring on the spa to 220. Of course you have to invest in bringing 220 to the spa location if it's not there (and who has 220 ready to go?).

After running for a couple of weeks, we decided to upgrade to 220. As a couple of posters have pointed out, it's all about maintaining hear. Yes, you'll want to leave it on ALL the time. We set ours at 100 degrees. With 110, this spa only supports a "Standard" mode, which works like a thermostat and will keep the desired temperature fine but will likely need to run several times a day to do this.

With 220, the Tuff Spa supports two additional modes, "Economy" and "Sleep". We set ours to Economy, which means it heats the water to the desired temperature only during filter cycles (ours run only for an hour at 6 am and 6 pm). This is much more efficient than 110. Keep in mind, 110 will only heat the water about 1 degree an hour compared to the 4-5 degrees with 220.

So, how much does it cost yto bring 220 into your yard or patio (nobody ever seems to mention this part). Well I guess it depends on your electrician. In SoCal, it costs us $800 from a licensed, bonded electrician, who also converted the spa to 220 for us.

Worth it? I think so. In Arizona, you (like us) will probably want to jump in the spa to cool off during the day (world's smallest pool?). In the morning, opening the lid ... and it will cool off quickly. Later in the evening, switch on the heater and within an hour you've got a nice toastly spa.

Final thought - I love the fact that Tuff Spas are out of Glendale, AZ and (we're told) many of the parts (the spa, covers and pumps) are made here in California.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 22,634 times
Default Tuff Spa TT200

Does anyone know how to clean the salt cell of this salt water hot tub?
Thanks!

Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,808 times
We will not be using our tub for five months. Should I drain hot tub or leave it with water in it. If I leave the water in should I add some chlorine tables? I am in Arizona

Old 04-05-2016, 07:05 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Drain it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area