Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:10 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,049 times

Advertisements

According to the Arizona Republic density and infill have arrived in the area and will continue to grow

Metro Phoenix starting to grow up instead of out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 06:10 PM

394 posts, read 343,321 times
^^^ it's discouraging (to me) - they keep comparing Phoenix to LA, SF and NY... Those are the last places I'd want to mimic.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:23 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Good, Phoenix needs vertical growth.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:29 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
This stuff is happening in just about every city across America, including rust belt cities that were formerly left for dead. The problem is that almost none of the new development nationwide is really affordable. It's all the same generic "luxury" projects where you pay way too much for way too little in return. And the units/materials/finishes are often of somewhat questionable quality--they look amazing today, but may not really stand the test of time. I'm a huge proponent of walkable neighborhoods, but living in a generic modern "luxury" building near trendy new over-priced restaurants and expensive boutique stores is not my idea of an authentic walkable neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
This stuff is happening in just about every city across America, including rust belt cities that were formerly left for dead. The problem is that almost none of the new development nationwide is really affordable. It's all the same generic "luxury" projects where you pay way too much for way too little in return. And the units/materials/finishes are often of somewhat questionable quality--they look amazing today, but may not really stand the test of time. I'm a huge proponent of walkable neighborhoods, but living in a generic modern "luxury" building near trendy new over-priced restaurants and expensive boutique stores is not my idea of an authentic walkable neighborhood.
^I figured somebody would be negative about this trend.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:27 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
^I figured somebody would be negative about this trend.
Actually I'm really curious to see how it is all going to play out. Most working class people are priced out of these new developments (regardless of the city), and they end up getting pushed out to inner and outer suburbs in the search for affordable housing. But in a lot of places, especially back East, huge swaths of luxury units have been purchased and held by investors. As investment money dries up and the market becomes saturated with expensive housing units that only a certain segment of the population can afford (wage stagnation rears its ugly head), one would assume that prices will eventually have to trend downward. Or will they?

It will also be interesting to see what happens to urban public schools. Most are, to be blunt, terrible. That means that when young couples living the urban lifestyle start looking to have kids they either have to risk sending them to sub-par schools, shell out for expensive private school, or simply move to the suburbs where they have more space and better school systems. Maybe the inner city school systems will improve with changing demographics, but then what will that mean for suburban school systems? We just keep moving the problems around instead of actually addressing them.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Artisan Village (3-story townhouse/condos at 7th St & Roosevelt) were built as "affordable" housing with City of Phoenix subsidies. That's about the best you can do as far as density without charging an arm and a leg. Mid rises and high rises are so capital intensive to build and maintain (think elevator repair etc) that unless the costs were absorbed over many years they will be marketed as luxury. Same thing is going on in Tempe.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Actually I'm really curious to see how it is all going to play out.
You have to understand these are new developments so the developers had to pay a lot for the land and then to develop the building. They can't provide inexpensive housing for doing that. Also, most new urban areas are expensive everywhere. It isn't intended for working class families.

And in some ways, I think that is a good thing. It's going to lure a lot of working young professionals with disposable income so that means the surrounding areas will acquire amenities to satisfy them. For a lot of young people, they don't want to move to the suburbs. They want to live in a dense urban area with amenities.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying but there aren't any "expensive boutique stores" or, for that matter, very much retail of any kind. That's one of the oddest characteristics of the housing boom. Urban form requires ground floor retail that often stays empty.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
It will also be interesting to see what happens to urban public schools. Most are, to be blunt, terrible. That means that when young couples living the urban lifestyle start looking to have kids they either have to risk sending them to sub-par schools, shell out for expensive private school, or simply move to the suburbs where they have more space and better school systems. Maybe the inner city school systems will improve with changing demographics, but then what will that mean for suburban school systems? We just keep moving the problems around instead of actually addressing them.
You are forgetting about empty nesters. These are people like myself. I've got one more kid that I need to get off to college. Once he is out, it's just me and my wife. We don't need a large home and a large lot to maintain. We are thinking of moving to one of these condos in a few years. We enjoy dining out, going to professional sports game, being close to the airport for proximal travel. There are a lot of people in my situation who are looking to move into one of those condos for that reason.

Dense urban living isn't really for families and it never was intended for them. The problem with Phoenix is so many young people rent apartments because there aren't condos to buy in nice areas with immediate amenities. They either rent apartments located in trendy areas (Old Town) or they buy a cheap home in the suburbs. Having more urban living options means a lot of these young people will invest in a condo rather than paying Mark Taylor to rent an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area