Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,050 times

Advertisements

Wow-What a nightmare so far! I own 2 homes outright here on the east coast, no mortgages. I have not rented in over 25yrs. I'm self employed and a good saver so use cash for most things and use banks just to pay bills. Credit score 700. I don't have a savings acct, never did. Sooooo the ultimate question: How do I rent a home in Mesa/Dobson Ranch/Gilbert area considering the size of my (very well behaved 2 Large dogs and 3 kitties) tribe? I will end up buying a home there but would like to take a year to get to know the areas. I like being by water and some grass so those areas seem to offer that. ANY advice is appreciated! Any other areas I should look? Does anyone specialize in renting to people that actually have animals? I've spoken to 2 realtors and never heard back from them....i heard this is normal out there ;-O Flying out in Sept to look around for rental in Oct. ANY/ALL HELP, ADVISE, WARNINGS OR OFFERS APPRECIATED! (Looking to pay about $1400/mo rental)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoAZ2016 View Post
Wow-What a nightmare so far! I own 2 homes outright here on the east coast, no mortgages. I have not rented in over 25yrs. I'm self employed and a good saver so use cash for most things and use banks just to pay bills. Credit score 700. I don't have a savings acct, never did. Sooooo the ultimate question: How do I rent a home in Mesa/Dobson Ranch/Gilbert area considering the size of my (very well behaved 2 Large dogs and 3 kitties) tribe? I will end up buying a home there but would like to take a year to get to know the areas. I like being by water and some grass so those areas seem to offer that. ANY advice is appreciated! Any other areas I should look? Does anyone specialize in renting to people that actually have animals? I've spoken to 2 realtors and never heard back from them....i heard this is normal out there ;-O Flying out in Sept to look around for rental in Oct. ANY/ALL HELP, ADVISE, WARNINGS OR OFFERS APPRECIATED! (Looking to pay about $1400/mo rental)
You would have to rent a house, apartments that allow pets here have a two pet limit, $1,400/month would rent you maybe a 1,000-1,200 sq ft 2-3 bedroom here

Old 08-15-2016, 02:59 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Please don't read this the wrong way, but you're ringing nearly all of the "don't rent to me" bells in one paragraph. Too many pets, no rental history, not much budget, hard-to-document income & no attach-able/garnish-able wages or assets in Arizona.

Any one of those things would disqualify you as a tenant in many rentals - taken together, they make renting to you very scary. In my entire zip code, there are like four (4) single family homes under $1400 & the odds of "explaining" your way into one of those are pretty slim. As a landlord, I want some evidence that my future tenant isn't going to trash the place, proof of income & assets in case you do trash the place & a long-term tenant as a "consolation prize", to at least spread the cost of replacing all the flooring over a few years, instead of one 12-month term. With 5 pets, I can't see any landlord with experience actually expecting to get back a house that's "re-rentable" a few days after you leave.

You honestly might have to buy vs renting & even then, I'd be careful of hoa's & city ordinances, as 5 pets might go beyond those rules.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:40 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Buy an older (but not too old) Class A motorhome and park it. But first, find out if the park will accept your pet population.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy, though it's certainly preferable to rent first.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy, though it's certainly preferable to rent first.
This^^^^^^ I wish I had better news for you, but apartments are tough when it comes to pets. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,050 times
Wow- delusional. Section 8 and 3-5 destructive kids is ok for you to rent to but not a clean cut, no criminal record, great credit score, person with a few animals that have NEVER EVER have done anything bad. OK. The song remains the same----be broke and on the public dime and you can live like a king..free food, free housing, free healthcare and babysitting...... God Save America! Smh....

Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
5 is not a few animals.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP, feel free to explore other States.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoAZ2016 View Post
Wow- delusional. Section 8 and 3-5 destructive kids is ok for you to rent to but not a clean cut, no criminal record, great credit score, person with a few animals that have NEVER EVER have done anything bad. OK. The song remains the same----be broke and on the public dime and you can live like a king..free food, free housing, free healthcare and babysitting...... God Save America! Smh....
Good property owners desire to protect their properties, and they will do what they need to do to secure their investments. However, there definitely are those owners (aka: slumlords) who may not care what kind of problems the tenant may bring, as long as they fill that vacancy.

What others here have said to you is correct. Most likely, you may not be the most desirable tenant at this point in time, based on your current situation. Purchasing a property may be the best possible way for you to go, and then no one will question your personal history, your financial standing, your credit report, or the number of animals you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area