U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix, AZ USA
17,884 posts, read 41,270,377 times
Reputation: 10649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks for replies everyone! Extremely helpful.

I'm not really tied to it emotionally. Not for that kind of money! Just trying to figure out the pros and cons of this 'hood. I think I'll keep on looking...

On that note, what are the other nice neighborhoods in South Tempe if you're looking at up to 325 range?


There are lots of them, some don't have obvious names, like mine and another one near me. I would just plug your price point into homes.com for 85283 and 85284 and see what you see.


Here's a nice one in Warner Ranch: http://www.homes.com/property/8850-s...-300012720204/


And another, a couple of blocks south, higher on the price. http://www.homes.com/property/8863-s...-300012886516/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2016, 12:35 PM
 
1,062 posts, read 1,289,868 times
Reputation: 1203
Thanks, Observer53!
I think I saw that house... Doesn't Warner Ranch have a steep HOA fee? 170 or so?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2016, 12:46 PM
 
4,556 posts, read 8,722,753 times
Reputation: 4840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks, Observer53!
I think I saw that house... Doesn't Warner Ranch have a steep HOA fee? 170 or so?
It depends on what part of Warner Ranch. I would imagine the 170 would be in the parts of it that have small lots, a community pool and the front yard maintenance handled by the association. That's just a couple small areas, there are other parts of the community which don't have those extra fees and they have larger lots (a majority of it is like that). I would imagine a gated community would have a high HOA as well because of gate and road maintenance. In most of Warner Ranch you are paying for all of the lighted and grassy walking paths, the city parks are funded by the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 12:59 PM
 
2,701 posts, read 4,647,552 times
Reputation: 4561
Look at it this way..If you like the area and when you "visit" or drive thru and it looks up to your standards, then live there.. ANYTHING can change and change quickly.. The area you like today could be the crap tomorrow..Likewise the crap area you would NEVER move to could become gentrified and be better than where you live...

Change is constant and ever evolving.... Some places you do not notice the changes as much others you do.... Some places you swore you would NEVER go to are now the hot spot to be and have tons of things for everyone.... Some places you swore you could be in til you die are now what you desperately want or need to get out of....

Life is always evolving and sometimes what our minds think is not right for us may be the exact thing we need....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 03:12 PM
 
10,719 posts, read 19,489,990 times
Reputation: 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Baseline and Rural is a great area there is a whole foods and Lowes a lot of dining they are building an Aloma Drafthouse in the old shopping center. I live right down the street and find myself there all the time.
Your city council member will probably disagree: “I think this is going to be fantastic. I’m really excited about it,'' said Councilman Randy Keating, who lives nearby. "That area on Lakeshore and Baseline there has been underwhelming for as long as I’ve lived in Tempe.’’ The area has declined ever since the early 2000's when Chandler developed. I remember the Ford dealership on Baseline and McClintock leaving that area for Chandler. Most of the strip malls in that area have been abandoned and the area has become an area of blight. They are building the Alamo Drafthouse with the intent of revitalizing the area, not because it's considered a nice area at the present. Yes, there is the Whole Foods, but that's pretty much the only nice thing there now. There are homeless people sleeping in these areas. What is amusing is there is an article discussing the Alamo Drafthouse. It included photos of the strip mall it is going in and they happened to catch a homeless person staying there, which illustrates my point.




Tempe lands Arizona's 2nd Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

I think the area will become nice because there has been a renewed interest in Tempe and I think the Alamo Drafthouse will attract more businesses to the area. But let's not stretch the truth and call it a nice area at present. It hasn't been nice for at least 10 years. Most people would not venture to that area on any given Friday or Saturday night due to the crime that exists there now. People talk about Arizona Mills feeling unsafe at night and that area is practically adjacent to that mall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2016, 03:30 PM
 
10,719 posts, read 19,489,990 times
Reputation: 10015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks for replies everyone! Extremely helpful.

I'm not really tied to it emotionally. Not for that kind of money! Just trying to figure out the pros and cons of this 'hood. I think I'll keep on looking...

On that note, what are the other nice neighborhoods in South Tempe if you're looking at up to 325 range?
I would avoid 85283 and stick to 85284 for Tempe. In fact, that's probably the only zip code for Tempe that I would even consider. In fact, I don't recommend living north of Elliott Rd. When you hit Guadalupe is when things start to get a little sketchy.

85226 is large and there are a lot of nice communities there so check out other communities like Ray Ranch, Tuscany and even more homes in Sierra Tempe.

Also, a large area that you should consider is Ahwatukee. Check out zip code 85044 and 85048. South Tempe, North Chandler and West Ahwautukee is pretty much one community and they share the same move theaters, restaurants, shopping, doctors, dentists etc. For example, you can live on Ray Road and depending on your address you could be in Ahwatukee, Tempe or Chandler within a 5 mile radius. People who are not from this area get hung up on names (Chandler vs Tempe vs. Ahwatukee) when really it's about neighborhoods and streets.

Finally, look at 85224 in Chandler. There are some nice areas on the other side of Price and Ray near the Whole Foods. You know the comical thing is most people don't want the Tempe name or taxes. People pride themselves on living in Chandler and they try to avoid Tempe. But Tempe has experienced resurgence lately that people are actually interested in homes in Tempe. This wasn't the case 4-5 years ago. It's nice to see that.

I'm a real estate investor and research these areas heavily and live in this general area. All of these ares are safe and ones I would live in myself.

Mattamy is building Rhythm in 85226. Those homes will go quickly because of how popular the area is so I would definitely get more information.

http://mattamyhomes.com/phoenix/Regi...c-d9428d25adfb
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix, AZ USA
17,884 posts, read 41,270,377 times
Reputation: 10649
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I would avoid 85283 and stick to 85284 for Tempe. In fact, that's probably the only zip code for Tempe that I would even consider. In fact, I don't recommend living north of Elliott Rd. When you hit Guadalupe is when things start to get a little sketchy.

85226 is large and there are a lot of nice communities there so check out other communities like Ray Ranch, Tuscany and even more homes in Sierra Tempe.

Also, a large area that you should consider is Ahwatukee. Check out zip code 85044 and 85048. South Tempe, North Chandler and West Ahwautukee is pretty much one community and they share the same move theaters, restaurants, shopping, doctors, dentists etc. For example, you can live on Ray Road and depending on your address you could be in Ahwatukee, Tempe or Chandler within a 5 mile radius. People who are not from this area get hung up on names (Chandler vs Tempe vs. Ahwatukee) when really it's about neighborhoods and streets.

Finally, look at 85224 in Chandler. There are some nice areas on the other side of Price and Ray near the Whole Foods. You know the comical thing is most people don't want the Tempe name or taxes. People pride themselves on living in Chandler and they try to avoid Tempe. But Tempe has experienced resurgence lately that people are actually interested in homes in Tempe. This wasn't the case 4-5 years ago. It's nice to see that.

I'm a real estate investor and research these areas heavily and live in this general area. All of these ares are safe and ones I would live in myself.

Mattamy is building Rhythm in 85226. Those homes will go quickly because of how popular the area is so I would definitely get more information.

New Homes for Sale in Phoenix: Register for Updates on New Homes and Communities in Phoenix | Mattamy Homes
Overall, the 85284 ZIP code is the nicest one. But I am sure that the people in the Oasis and in the other neighborhoods to the west north of Elliot between the 101 and Hardy would join me in disagreeing with your assessment of "don't go north of Elliot" [it's only one "t" BTW] . So would my many friends who live between Southshore and Guadalupe Road. You just can't make those sweeping statements without finding too many exceptions.


Somehow I think the neighborhood is better served by what replaced the Earnhardt car dealerships than the dealership itself. You keep talking about vacant strip malls along Baseline, while the only one that really fits that description is Lake Country Village, which, yes, is now completely vacant and will be torn down and redeveloped. Investor or not, you paint too gloomy a picture. Are there better areas in Tempe? Sure. But the area along Baseline is not the slum you paint it to be. The Lakes is a stable and desirable area, always has been.


The OP does have lots of other places to look at, as you state. The areas mentioned in Chandler are good options, as are those newer parts of what's generally referred to as Ahwatukee. Note to the OP: some use "the Foothills" to refer to that more southern part of that section of Phoenix, others use Ahwatukee or refer specifically to the development they are in, e.g., Lakewood.


So, the OP lots of options besides the homes looked at so far. Good luck!

Last edited by observer53; 09-05-2016 at 02:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 12:33 PM
 
1,062 posts, read 1,289,868 times
Reputation: 1203
well that's unfortunate to hear that areas around Baseline aren't nice. I'm single and trying to stay as close to Tempe and Scottsdale as possible but within South Tempe. So the area around the Lakes is perfect but not if it's deteriorating. 85284 is a bit too far for me...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix, AZ USA
17,884 posts, read 41,270,377 times
Reputation: 10649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
well that's unfortunate to hear that areas around Baseline aren't nice. I'm single and trying to stay as close to Tempe and Scottsdale as possible but within South Tempe. So the area around the Lakes is perfect but not if it's deteriorating. 85284 is a bit too far for me...

85284 is a mile or less from a home in the Lakes. That's a deal breaker?


There's nothing wrong with the Lakes. You are taking one person's opinion about the area from Baseline south to Elliot, Mill Ave to the 101 as gospel. Visit it yourself and look around. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods north of Elliot in 85284.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2016, 02:44 PM
 
4,556 posts, read 8,722,753 times
Reputation: 4840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
well that's unfortunate to hear that areas around Baseline aren't nice. I'm single and trying to stay as close to Tempe and Scottsdale as possible but within South Tempe. So the area around the Lakes is perfect but not if it's deteriorating. 85284 is a bit too far for me...
Not sure if you're aware but the first house you posted (the subject of this thread) is in 85284. When I lived at Warner and Rural (turns into Scottsdale Rd), I was 5.5 miles from ASU and rough 6 miles to downtown Tempe. Figure maybe an additional 5 miles to Old Town Scottsdale. If I was going there on a weekend and there were no major events at ASU I would take Rural all the way to Old Town and it took maybe 15 minutes. Taking the 101 is another option but it adds about 4 miles. I agree with azriverfan and prefer 85284 it is close to everything mentioned above as well as Casa Paloma and Chandler Fashion Center so there are plenty of options.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top