Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:42 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
people who love to sweat ....
68 degrees outside my house in the PHX suburbs when I went for my 7AM jog, mid September. Of course I DID break a sweat since I was exercising

Getting ready to enjoy the next 8 months of beautiful weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:55 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I'm an African-American who relocated from Charlotte. Coming up on my 3yr. anniversary here, and I absolutely love it. Its not perfect...but in my opinion soooooooo.much better than Charlotte (Again...my opinion)..Perks include weekend getways to LA, San Diego, Las Vegas. Weather is awesome, humidity is low, and the shopping is to die for. Yes the AA population is not as dense as someplace like Atlanta, Orleans, or even Charlotte....But that's not a dealbreaker in my eye.
I think Phoenix gets a "bad rap" from the African-American population, but since I've been here, the city is definitely improving when it comes to diversity. Phoenix is definitely up and coming.
I agree with this^^^ and hey westcoast!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:55 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Scottsdale, AZ: 89.3% White in 2010, White Non-Hispanic: 83.7%

I don't know, Scottsdale is looking pretty blue. The exception is Sun City which doesn't really qualify as it is only 55+ and isn't really a suburb despite its size.

Scottsdale city Arizona QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
haha damn, you're right Scottsdale is definitely very white. While Scottsdale might be very white, I don't think that is a negative aspect to the city. Sure, some more diversity in Scottsdale would be awesome, but I don't think the lack of diversity should count against the city...especially when the Phoenix metro isn't that diverse to begin with. While Scottsdale seriously lacks diversity, I have never found there to be an aversion towards diversity among the residents...in fact, I find central Scottsdale to be among one of the most open-minded areas in the state. The lack of diversity in Scottsdale is also not an issue that is specific to Scottsdale/phoenix. If you look at metro's across the country, the most desirable/well-to-do areas of each metro tend to be not that diverse too.
South Beach- 95% non-hispanic white vs Miami 11% non-hispanic white
Santa Monica-70% non-hispanic white vs. LA 28% non-hispanic white
Buckhead- 80% non-hispanic white - vs Atlanta 38% non-hispanic white
Dupont circle- 80% non-hispanic white - vs DC 39% non-hispanic white
Upper Eastside 86% non-hispanic white - VS NYC 34% non-hispanic white
Near Northside 75% non-hispanic white vs Chicago 32% non-hispanic white
Pacific heights- 82% non hispanic white vs San Francisco 48% non-hispanic white

I'm sure with time, as more young people start to move to the area, places such as old town/downtown Scottsdale, will become more diverse...and Scottsdale is already starting to see more diverse cuisine options too, which is good .

Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
68 degrees outside my house in the PHX suburbs when I went for my 7AM jog, mid September. Of course I DID break a sweat since I was exercising

We made it! I always say 9/15 to 6/15 are just fine by me, beautiful mornings and usually dry weather... I call the 12 weeks between population growth control for Phoenix.

There are not very many cities in the country where you don't sweat outside for at least 3 months out of the year.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM

594 posts, read 699,088 times
Default A positive post ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post

You had to do it didn't you....
You see that black smoke back there on the horizon ? Yes, that's them,the Negativits. Coming to attack with their negative arsenal.
You had to do it...
I can even predict their initial wave. Check it out...." it's not 8 months of nice weather only 4..."
Wave 2..." the dew points are _ _ _ in June"
Wave 3..." those snowbirds drive too slow "
Wave 4..." those snowbirds, now I can't get reservations "
Wave 5..." Sheriff Arpaio "
How did I do ?

Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Just curious, not critical. I was reading the other night about some of the VERY wealthy people who live in Phoenix and I just wondered, what is it about Phoenix, and Arizona in general, that attracts people who can afford to live anywhere?

I live in the Southeast and have never been out west, so I have no idea what it's like out there. I have heard it is a beautiful state, and the climate is good (particularly if you have asthma and allergies, like me), and pictures I have seen show beautiful landscapes.

If I could afford to live anywhere I would want to be near the ocean, but desert landscapes I have seen in pictures show that same huge spaciousness I love about the sea.

So please, Arizona lovers, educate me!
I was born & raised in Phoenix, and have occasionally looked at other areas to live, but I remain here for what I consider essential reasons: employment, family, and cost of living. Those are the main things that keep me here. Other than that, the right to work atmosphere and the conservative/Libertarian politics are what I like. Phoenix itself tends to lean slightly liberal, but Arizona in general is pretty much on track as far as what I agree with (with some exceptions of course).

Quote:
Perks include weekend getways to LA, San Diego, Las Vegas.
This is one thing that I don't really get as a "perk" about living in Phoenix (although I have to admit that I'm somewhat guilty of it myself). Seriously, do people in Vegas or southern CA enjoy living where they do because trips to Phoenix are close? No, you never hear of Phoenix being much of a fun vacation destination except for snowbirds, or perhaps for a few sporting events. I have been a strong advocate for theme parks here because for one thing, there are people who really don't care to drive or fly to CA for fun things to do when they could easily be available here. Also, the revenue that is funneled to CA on family vacations could remain locally, and that would be a bigger perk for Phoenix!

Quote:
Weather is awesome, humidity is low
This is up for debate. As a native, I personally think the weather/climate is mediocre when you factor in the blast furnace heat of the summer months, and the humidity isn't exactly low during the monsoon. Spring and fall are usually the best seasons for weather here, but again, climate shouldn't be the only reason (or even the main reason) to move to a large metro area.

It's kind of ironic because one thing that I think Phoenix has going for it is the quality of streets & freeways ... they're not perfect, but they are generally in better shape than many other metro areas. One reason for this is they're easier to maintain due to less inclement conditions. Our clear weather and smooth wide freeways allow for faster travel ... in fact, it's actually safer to drive fast here than slow if the traffic conditions allow for it. What I can't understand is why a lot of transplants feel the need to poke along and drive like they're waiting for a blizzard to hit ... and even worse, they gripe & bellyache about how "fast & aggressive" the drivers are. Phoenicians drive fast because we CAN! This isn't Chicago, New York, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or Minneapolis!

Old 09-23-2016, 02:33 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
The hot summers,mild winters,scenery all appeal to me in Phoenix

Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM

226 posts, read 227,508 times
Things Phoenix has that Las Vegas does not have:
1) The Cardinals
2) The Suns
3) The Coyotes
4) Piestawa Peak

Things Phoenix has that Los Angeles does not have:
1) Knott's Berry Farm
Oops, that was a typo. Sorryyyy

Old 09-23-2016, 03:53 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Gotta say I completely disagree.

Maybe 10 years ago that was the case but with all the neighborhoods from Scottsdale, Tempe, Arcadia, Central Phoenix and Roosevelt there are plenty of young neighborhoods that are rapidly increasing in popularity.

In the last 3-5 years there has been dozens of white collar operations opening in the area especially in financials, insurance and Tech. I graduated in 2012 and most of my friends stayed in the area or moved back to it within just a couple years. Not to mention most of the people I know today came to Phoenix from places like the Midwest, California, Pittsburg and all over.

The nightlife is well known and renowned and the outdoor activities are 2nd to none. Unless you live way in the west valley or some other suburb I completely disagree with your assessment.
That's fine you're allowed to disagree no problem at all. And I agree with you about Central Phoenix making great strides in the past decade or so. Central Phoenix has always been a favorite area of mine and there is a growing population of yuppies in the area. Hmmm and you must not travel much if you think the nightlife in the Valley is "well known" and "renowned". I don't think anyone in NYC or LA are in any hurry to get to the nightlife here.....just saying.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Is Tucson really offer that much more than Scottsdale? to me it seemed smaller than tempe overall.
I think so. Tucson has a community-feel that really lacks in Phoenix as a whole and especially Scottsdale which is where most of my family lives. My old neighborhood in the Arrowhead area had a community feel, nice upper-class custom homes, but it was a very small enclave of a neighborhood which I think that is why it was like that. Isolated by crossroads and a large canal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area