Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't mind tolls if it covers for paying for the roads, better than using our tax money to pay for expensive infrastructure paid by people being heavily subsidized. More tax money to go to education or other things we need just as much.

Granted if this road has a toll and is being subsidized by tax money just as much as any normal freeway, I won't support it. That is highway robbery pun intended.

If people really want a I-10 highway reliever they need to be building north of the I-10, not south of.
They tried that, the cancelled Paradise Pkwy/AZ 50. That cuts through already built out more valuable real estate, it would be both cost prohibitive and would face neighborhood opposition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 02:21 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Another question regarding tolls... Will ADOT have transponders that people can put on their windshield? Basically, you can fill up your transponder via online through your account with money which counts as credit, and that's used to bill the payment for the tolls.
I'm pretty sure it will be all-electronic open road tolling that uses a mix of transponders and toll-by-plate (the latter with a higher rate for those without transponders).

Old 10-05-2016, 03:00 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm just going from my experience of every toll lane or toll road I've been on usually flying by the rest of the traffic. I've not experience gridlock on them often enough to move the needle, but yes it occasionally happens.
I guess you've never been on the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, or the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike (just to name a few). All are toll roads and all are subject to gridlock. In fact, with regard to the GSP, the toll booths themselves, some of which are very close together, are often the causes of gridlock.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I guess you've never been on the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, or the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike (just to name a few). All are toll roads and all are subject to gridlock. In fact, with regard to the GSP, the toll booths themselves, some of which are very close together, are often the causes of gridlock.
As I stated in my previous post, I expect that SR 30 (assuming ADOT goes the toll route), as well as any other toll roads in Arizona will use all-electronic open road tolling instead of physical toll booths.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:45 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As I stated in my previous post, I expect that SR 30 (assuming ADOT goes the toll route), as well as any other toll roads in Arizona will use all-electronic open road tolling instead of physical toll booths.
All new toll roads being built across the US seem to be going toward the all-electronic (cashless) payment method. The PA Turnpike, the granddaddy of toll roads, has been studying the conversion to an all-electronic system for some time. It seems eventually Pennsylvania will remove the toll booths, get rid of its 750 toll collectors and go all-electronic (cashless) in the next 10-15 years.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
All new toll roads being built across the US seem to be going toward the all-electronic (cashless) payment method. The PA Turnpike, the granddaddy of toll roads, has been studying the conversion to an all-electronic system for some time. It seems eventually Pennsylvania will remove the toll booths, get rid of its 750 toll collectors and go all-electronic (cashless) in the next 10-15 years.
That will stop truckers from using the road if that happens, if they do the license plate toll collection, that bill would go to the company, who might ding the driver. The whole cashless tolls really only works with local drivers, or for passenger vehicles

Old 10-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That will stop truckers from using the road if that happens, if they do the license plate toll collection, that bill would go to the company, who might ding the driver. The whole cashless tolls really only works with local drivers, or for passenger vehicles
Remember that there is a mandate for national interoperability of toll transponders. Toll-by-plate is almost never used alone; it is almost always used in combination with transponder tags. The reason is due to the higher processing costs of toll-by-plate transactions compared to transponder-based transactions, which is why those who have transponders usually get a discounted rate. Most truckers probably have some states' transponders onboard.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Too late, they already implemented it at the PA Turnpike bridge over the Delaware River connecting New Jersey and Pennsylvania and guess what trucks still use it!

‘Cashless’ Tolling Starts Sunday at PA Turnpike Bridge over Delaware River

E-ZPass motorists — who account for 80 percent of traffic at the bridge — will pay $5 for a two-axle (passenger) vehicle; non-E-ZPass motorists will pay $6.75 for a two-axle (passenger) vehicle via PA Turnpike TOLL BY PLATE, a new system that will take a photo of the license plate and mail an invoice to the vehicle owner. For commercial operators, each additional axle will cost an additional $5 for E-ZPass motorists and an additional $6.75 for non-E-ZPass motorists.

“The new bridge toll will be collected automatically at highway speed so Turnpike travelers will not have to stop, which is safer and more convenient than stopping at a tollbooth,” said Turnpike CEO Mark Compton. “The cashless toll is a one-way toll, meaning eastbound Turnpike travelers driving into New Jersey will no longer pay at this location, though the decommissioned Delaware River Bridge toll plaza will remain in place for a time.”

Motorists who do not use E-ZPass can expect the first PA Turnpike TOLL BY PLATE invoices in the mail during the week of Jan. 25.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:32 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Nah I try to stay away from the Northeast US at all costs I wouldn't compare AZ to New Jersey at all.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Remember that there is a mandate for national interoperability of toll transponders. Toll-by-plate is almost never used alone; it is almost always used in combination with transponder tags. The reason is due to the higher processing costs of toll-by-plate transactions compared to transponder-based transactions, which is why those who have transponders usually get a discounted rate. Most truckers probably have some states' transponders onboard.
We don't have any transponders at our company, I'm sure we aren't the only one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area