Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 AM

218 posts, read 351,583 times

Advertisements

I'm a west coast native who appreciates retailers who offer great values, so when I observe a city banning stores presumably because they generate less tax revenue, because they offer lower cost products, I do not appreciate such policies.

Thinking about this thought I'd see what you think.

There are no del tacos in the city limits of Scottsdale. And, only one metro PCS in south Scottsdale.

Also, only two Walmarts, in fact, Cave Creek gets all the taxes from north Scottsdale residents, with their new Walmart on the Scottsdale county line (Freudian slip, I won't fix this. lol )

Just one Costco, should be another in South Scottsdale.

No Whole Foods, either, which would be a real winner for taxes. Looks like the City, like most of the state, dislikes big box stores.

I sure hope Littlefield isn't elected as Scottsdale mayor as he is very anti business.

The most pro business area in the Southwest is Riverside county, except Palm Springs.

San Diego metro also anti business in terms of retail. Carlsbad bans Stater Brothers, the best grocer on planet earth.

I'd like to see all the stores represented where they are now underrepresented. The sales taxes help all of us.

Thoughts???

Old 10-21-2016, 03:44 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,084,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
I'm a west coast native who appreciates retailers who offer great values, so when I observe a city banning stores presumably because they generate less tax revenue, because they offer lower cost products, I do not appreciate such policies.

There are no del tacos in the city limits of Scottsdale. And, only one metro PCS in south Scottsdale.

Also, only two Walmarts, in fact, Cave Creek gets all the taxes from north Scottsdale residents, with their new Walmart on the Scottsdale county line (Freudian slip, I won't fix this. lol )

No Whole Foods, either, which would be a real winner for taxes. Looks like the City, like most of the state, dislikes big box stores.

I sure hope Littlefield isn't elected as Scottsdale mayor as he is very anti business.

The most pro business area in the Southwest is Riverside county, except Palm Springs.

San Diego metro also anti business in terms of retail. Carlsbad bans Stater Brothers, the best grocer on planet earth.

I'd like to see all the stores represented where they are now underrepresented. The sales taxes help all of us.

Thoughts???
Your rant is nearly incoherent, has no basis for this, no evidence to support what you are saying (not even an article or web link), and my guess is you started weekend drinking a little early.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:46 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post

Thoughts???
Not Del Taco!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,371,735 times
There is a Popeye's chicken in Scottsdale and another on the Indian reservation. So, this basically disproves the whole rant given it's not like chicken places have some high-class reputation. There's also a KFC serving the southern part of the city's chicken needs.

There are also dollar stores throughout much of Scottsdale including in upscale areas like the Dollar Tree at FLW and Via Linda.

Please note there are very few Del Taco's in the Valley. There are only 14 in the whole Valley according to their website when I search for restaurants near Scottsdale.

Also, south Scottsdale is served by the Costco on 44th and Thomas. It's not like they Costco's every two miles or anything. There's also the Airpark one and the PV Mall one. Plenty of Costco's within five miles or so of almost everyone.

I also don't think it's even legal or feasible to "ban" certain brands but not others. This sort of thing leads to lots of lawsuits.

Not sure what you're trying to say about Walmarts...there's one in the Airpark area, one on the reservation at Indian Bend, and another nearby at PV Mall. Should they start building more big box stores in the far north part of the city? If you live up there, is that what you actually want, more big box stores instead of what's left of the open desert?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:07 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
There's a Whole Foods, too, at 70th and Shea. But I'd say that Whole Foods doesn't especially want to compete with AJ's and Sprouts.

Methinks OP is hanging out too much with his conspiracy theory buddies.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times
That tin hat must get uncomfortable. There are tons of fast food restaurants and big box retailers throughout the city (too many IMO). Your theory is absurd.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,375,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Please note there are very few Del Taco's in the Valley. There are only 14 in the whole Valley according to their website when I search for restaurants near Scottsdale.
I was surprised that there were any Del Taco or Taco Bells in Arizona at all, I would think with all of the local Mom and Pop mexican chains and choices to choose from, the national chains would have avoided Arizona all together, but I guess the limited amount that are in Arizona are making enough money to stay open.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was surprised that there were any Del Taco or Taco Bells in Arizona at all, I would think with all of the local Mom and Pop mexican chains and choices to choose from, the national chains would have avoided Arizona all together, but I guess the limited amount that are in Arizona are making enough money to stay open.
Sometimes the junk that Taco Bell comes up with is good inspite of it being not even remotely Mexican. There recent meal box promotion was an incredible value in terms of how much food they gave you. You could feed 3 people for $5.

But the 'Bertos run the show around these parts. One day we could get a Nicos! Now that would be awesome.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
There is a Popeye's chicken in Scottsdale and another on the Indian reservation. So, this basically disproves the whole rant given it's not like chicken places have some high-class reputation. There's also a KFC serving the southern part of the city's chicken needs.

There are also dollar stores throughout much of Scottsdale including in upscale areas like the Dollar Tree at FLW and Via Linda.

Also, south Scottsdale is served by the Costco on 44th and Thomas. It's not like they Costco's every two miles or anything. There's also the Airpark one and the PV Mall one. Plenty of Costco's within five miles or so of almost everyone.

I also don't think it's even legal or feasible to "ban" certain brands but not others. This sort of thing leads to lots of lawsuits.

Not sure what you're trying to say about Walmarts...there's one in the Airpark area, one on the reservation at Indian Bend, and another nearby at PV Mall. Should they start building more big box stores in the far north part of the city? If you live up there, is that what you actually want, more big box stores instead of what's left of the open desert?
It's funny you mention fried chicken. I have noticed in the last 10-15 years with Church's Chicken, they have been closing suburban locations left and right but seem to be thriving and expanding within the City of Phoenix, hell, there are like 6 Church's within a 7 mile radius in the Central City and midtown (16th St&Roosevelt, 7th Ave&Van Buren, 32nd St&Thomas, 19th Ave&Camelback, 35th Ave&Van Buren, I-17&Bethany Home). Yet, there are now only 2 Church's left in the whole East Valley (Arizona Ave&Ray and Country Club&Southern). The most recent casualty was the Church's at Rural&Baseline in Tempe.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:25 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,146,806 times
Can we please get a Taco Johns?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area