Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I know someone online who lives in New Jersey. She takes every opportunity to say "I am glad you like where you live but I will never visit. It's too desolate and ugly there. Where I live is the most beautiful part of the country and I love it here" Okay, fine, but how do you know what it is like here if you REFUSE TO VISIT? She is going strictly by some notion in her head that Phoenix (and any desert city for that matter) is sand dunes and dead foliage (and probably camels!) no matter how many pictures I show her or websites I link her to. That's fine, she can stay in Jersey.
You mean to tell me she doesn't have access to a TV or internet?

I think the vast majority of people in the country are well aware of what Phoenix and its surrounds look like by now. You see us on the news. You see shows based in PHX on TV. Heck, even Cops does a lot of their shows here now.

Some people just prefer seasons, greenery, and water. And for them PHX is the ultimate nightmare. Just look at the vast armies of people who vacationed here, loved it, moved here, and then left after a few years because its a tough environ to live in. People like me, who love it, are more content to stick around long. Those that second guess their move are usually gone with the wind in a short time.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I lived out east for 35 years of my life. The humidity isn't bad all the time, and even then, its more tolerable than 115 degrees. Argue all you want, but it is. On the most humid and horrible of days, I would ride 35+ miles on my bike. Here that's virtually impossible on our hottest days. Ever tried to ride in 112 degree heat? I used to be stupid and attempt it, now it just wont. Its not worth the pain! Yes summers out east can get quite sticky at times. And although you might feel a bit sticky, you could be outside in the sun for 12 hours w/o any issue (as long as sunscreen was on). Try doing that in June in PHX! That's just not happenin, unless you're in the shade all day, sitting still, with 8 gallons of water nearby. Now the Southeastern USA is another story, Ill agree. I did a summer in TN... never again. BLECH The Midwest summers are infinitely more tolerable than southern summers. I truly believe places like New Orleans have the worst summer weather in the USA.
I'll take our heat over the humidity any day, and I can apparently handle the heat better than you because I've regularly jogged and hiked in the Summer. Hell, my 7 year old (at the time) boy played in a baseball tourney mid-day in June and it was 118 that day. I would still take that over mid 90's and humid, at least the shade gives you relief and the dryness acts as a natural AC as the sweat evaporates. Humidity just suffocates you.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:07 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
I lived out east for 35 years of my life. The humidity isn't bad all the time, and even then, its more tolerable than 115 degrees. Argue all you want, but it is. On the most humid and horrible of days, I would ride 35+ miles on my bike. Here that's virtually impossible on our hottest days. Ever tried to ride in 112 degree heat? I used to be stupid and attempt it, now it just wont. Its not worth the pain! Yes summers out east can get quite sticky at times. And although you might feel a bit sticky, you could be outside in the sun for 12 hours w/o any issue (as long as sunscreen was on). Try doing that in June in PHX! That's just not happenin, unless you're in the shade all day, sitting still, with 8 gallons of water nearby. Now the Southeastern USA is another story, Ill agree. I did a summer in TN... never again. BLECH The Midwest summers are infinitely more tolerable than southern summers. I truly believe places like New Orleans have the worst summer weather in the USA.
You're comparing our bad weather season with the East's good season.... Try riding a bike 35 miles in the middle of winter out East, not a fun experience either and one that could also get you killed if you're not careful.

2016 was the 3rd highest year for days above 110, we had 30, you make it sound like we have months on end of 115 degree weather, that is just not the case.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
You mean to tell me she doesn't have access to a TV or internet?

I think the vast majority of people in the country are well aware of what Phoenix and its surrounds look like by now. You see us on the news. You see shows based in PHX on TV. Heck, even Cops does a lot of their shows here now.

Some people just prefer seasons, greenery, and water. And for them PHX is the ultimate nightmare. Just look at the vast armies of people who vacationed here, loved it, moved here, and then left after a few years because its a tough environ to live in. People like me, who love it, are more content to stick around long. Those that second guess their move are usually gone with the wind in a short time.
Well, yes, she has access to the internet as she is an online friend and I did state I have linked her to countless websites, etc.

I have shown her countless photos I have taken, linked her to all kinds links, etc and she still says "I will never visit there because it is desolate, flat, barren, and dead" even after showing her picture of flowers blooming like mad in my yard, green spaces, mountain views taken while hiking, city shots, etc. She has a set image in her mind of what it is like here and she won't budge. She has really asked about sand dunes. I tell her this is Arizona, not Africa.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 AM

63 posts, read 73,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Looks like perfect BBQ weather, been there done that for many a Thanksgiving,Christmas smoked turkey dinner! Allows one to keep things refrigerated just sitting on the deck and any beverage cold with a snow Koozy...

Absolutely! Many times I've used it as my outdoor fridge!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'll take our heat over the humidity any day, and I can apparently handle the heat better than you because I've regularly jogged and hiked in the Summer. Hell, my 7 year old (at the time) boy played in a baseball tourney mid-day in June and it was 118 that day. I would still take that over mid 90's and humid, at least the shade gives you relief and the dryness acts as a natural AC as the sweat evaporates. Humidity just suffocates you.
Here's the thing... its hits mid 90's in Chicago maybe once a year. Many times not once at all! It averages 75-83 in the summer. So while you can feel the humidity, the cooler temps aren't bad really. Some days its oppressive, but its punctuated by days and days of cooler, drier air. Im talkin 80 degrees with 40 percent humidity and lower at times, coupled with much lower dewpoints. Trust me, I prefer dry air to humid, but you guys act like out East its the Amazon rainforest or something. lol

Old 12-13-2016, 08:21 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I live in Coastal So-Cal. Have been here my entire life. Parents, sisters, and a brother all moved to the Phoenix area. They love it there. We were going to move there to back in 2008. It never happened. Now I am stuck with this 70 degree average weather all year long.

You poor thing! lol The most perfect January weather I ever found was in Key West. It was about 80 every day and just perfect for me. I get chilly at 70 and downright cold at 60!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You're comparing our bad weather season with the East's good season.... Try riding a bike 35 miles in the middle of winter out East, not a fun experience either and one that could also get you killed if you're not careful.

2016 was the 3rd highest year for days above 110, we had 30, you make it sound like we have months on end of 115 degree weather, that is just not the case.
Im comparing summer to summer. Apples to apples. I cant help the fact that our summers are putrid.

And no, I wouldn't ride a bike in the winter. I did a few times, but wasn't a fan. But in winter, people did other things like snowmobile, cross-country ski, sled, or take a trip to ski resorts in WI or MN or MI. Here in the summer we, uh, sit in the pool or drive hours away to get some reprieve.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Well, yes, she has access to the internet as she is an online friend and I did state I have linked her to countless websites, etc.

I have shown her countless photos I have taken, linked her to all kinds links, etc and she still says "I will never visit there because it is desolate, flat, barren, and dead" even after showing her picture of flowers blooming like mad in my yard, green spaces, mountain views taken while hiking, city shots, etc. She has a set image in her mind of what it is like here and she won't budge. She has really asked about sand dunes. I tell her this is Arizona, not Africa.
Well, her ignorance is fine by me! That means one less person moving here!

Ive known people to fly over AZ and ask me "how do you live there? Its so brown and desolate!" To them I say its part of the attraction for me. Many people don't get desert living, Im lucky that I love it! And yes, flying over north Central AZ is intimidating. Heck, even flying over the Superstitions is intimidating. Yes, its hostile. Yes, its brown. Yes, its barren! But that's what I love.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:26 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
[quote=locolife;46483783]Not really... the Southeast is pretty sweltering in the summer months too.... Even in when we lived in the Northeast we rarely dined outside in the summer months, the instant the sun started to set we would be bombarded by mosquitoes and even when the bugs weren't bad it was still uncomfortable with the often high humidity levels and almost nobody had a pool. There were occasionally weekends where we'd get what they call "dry" weather and it would be nice enough to dine outside but it was few and far between.

Phoenix has a pretty solid climate.[/quote]

Not only that but we always KNOW what to expect, regardless of the season. We either learn to live with it and adapt, or we don't. We get our 'surprise' weather sometimes...for better or worse!...but that just keeps it from getting too boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area