Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to live (safest, affordable, etc.) besides Scottsdale?
Peoria 3 15.79%
Glendale 0 0%
Chandler 2 10.53%
Gilbert 8 42.11%
Tempe 6 31.58%
Mesa 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
The summer heat here is just the opposite of the winter in Chicago. You cannot sit out in it. Also you limit your outside activities to early AM or late night, and being out in it makes you tired, worn down and can wear on you after so many months of it. At least in Illinois there are outdoor activities if you are into that (like snow) but here, outside activities are limited during the daylight. People do hike and some regret trying it during the day. Some need to be rescued too.

If your body thermostat is set on High, most likely you will be even more miserable here in summer than most. JMHO
At least in Arizona you can be in 70 degree weather within a few hour drive, in Chicago there is no escaping the cold weather without getting on an airplane or a very long drive. Our summer weather is great for night time swims, movies at the various water parks and for me it's never been a big issue to get my outdoors hiking/cycling done in the early morning hours or at night. I spend considerably more time outdoors here in the summer then I did in the north in the winter, maybe it's just me but after 13 summers here I still don't see the heat as impactful on my day to day life as the frigid winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:31 AM

9 posts, read 11,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It's impossible to answer your question without first understanding your price range and whether you care about schools. Oddly you have omitted Phoenix from your list, which sits right next to Scottsdale. Coming from Chicago you might be thinking that the entire city is some sort of lower class hellhole, but you would be mistaken.
Good point. Guess I should have mentioned that my fiancé is looking to get a job in the Scottsdale area, as an elementary teacher. We stayed in Phoenix last time we were there for 3 months, right by the Paradise Valley Mall. It was a nice area. I have narrowed my search down to around that area as well as Scottsdale.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 AM

9 posts, read 11,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
At least in Arizona you can be in 70 degree weather within a few hour drive, in Chicago there is no escaping the cold weather without getting on an airplane or a very long drive. Our summer weather is great for night time swims, movies at the various water parks and for me it's never been a big issue to get my outdoors hiking/cycling done in the early morning hours or at night. I spend considerably more time outdoors here in the summer then I did in the north in the winter, maybe it's just me but after 13 summers here I still don't see the heat as impactful on my day to day life as the frigid winters.
Yeah that's a good point. The thought, along with what I have been reading, of the excessive heat just worries me a bit. People make it sound like if you walk outside it would be like that scene from The Chronicals of Riddick. The only way to find out is to go experience it I suppose.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleistguy1670 View Post
Yeah that's a good point. The thought, along with what I have been reading, of the excessive heat just worries me a bit. People make it sound like if you walk outside it would be like that scene from The Chronicals of Riddick. The only way to find out is to go experience it I suppose.
It's not. You won't die. You learn to deal with it. It's not that bad.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:55 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleistguy1670 View Post
I think it just depends on the person. Some people really seem to struggle with it, you can read there comments on here fairly frequently, but most of us seem to adapt and do just fine. Last year we had something like 30 days above 110, which was close if not the all time record. Most years it's less then that and most of those days you're at work, indoors. If you work outside, then it's a whole different ball game. If you work indoors it's not really a huge impact on day to day life.

Does it get old after a few months? Sure, just like winter up North. But about 5 million of us (plus 1 million in Tucson) have figured out how to make it work. Do your errands outdoor activities in the morning or at night (we don't observe daylight savings here for a reason) and do the indoor activities you'd normally do in the winter in Chicago here in the summer, unless you want to take a trip up to the high-country or out to the beaches. It's a big city so there's a lot of indoor entertainment options baseball games, museums, performing arts, multiple aquariums, lakes, etc...

I'm an avid outdoors-man and I will go hiking/cycling every weekend of the year, regardless of the temperature and you see quite a few others out. There have been a few extreme days where I've cut my time short and opted to head to the pool instead, but those are the rare 115+ days which might be 2-4 a year.

As you said, give it a go and see how you adjust. For most of us Oct-May is perfectly tolerable, you'll have highs from the 60's in winter to the 90's in Oct/May. June-September is toasty but we also get summer thunderstorm activity, which for those of us who love nature tends to be one of our favorite times of the year.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,961,307 times
Working in Scottsdale? I wouldn't go as far south as Gilbert. Chandler may be ok.

Look around North Phoenix. There are a lot of nice places along the 101. All the other cities on your list are too far away.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM

525 posts, read 540,765 times
Why the heck do people keep saying "If you work in Scottsdale, live in Scottsdale"? Scottsdale is EXPENSIVE. It all depends on if the OP is going to make enough money to afford an apt or home in Scottsdale. It also depends on what time you will be traveling to work. If you are going to work from 5 am to 2 pm-then the commute doesn't really matter. There won't be any traffic and hardly any angst. But if you are going to work a normal 8 am to 5 pm job, even commuting from South Scottsdale to North Scottsdale is going to be hell. We live near San Tan Village in Gilbert and my husband carpools to PHX (Biltmore area) for work. 45 minute drive if they leave at 6:15 AM. Not our choice, but we moved before my husband got a new job. We love Gilbert and he loves his job so its a win-win for us. But that commute is not for the faint of heart. Here is what I consider some of the nice areas you mentioned:

South Chandler (Ocotillo area - expensive), Dobson & Ray (Anderson Springs area) is nice
South Tempe (Rural & Elliot, Rural & Warner and that general area are beautiful)
All of Gilbert
East Mesa--Dobson Ranch area--nothing north of Southern.
South Scottsdale is a bit run down, but the rest of Scottsdale is beautiful.
Never been a West Valley fan, although there are parts of Peoria that are nice.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-13-2017, 11:04 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,056,993 times
OP, word to the wise: Don't rent a house or apartment with an OLD A/C unit. I did that once and my electric bills were crazy high and I wasn't even comfortable. Argh...

A lot of the older buildings and homes have the A/C units on the roof. Just look up at it and judge if it looks ancient or relatively new. Only go with a newer A/C equipped place.

Also, try hard to get covered parking- better yet, a garage.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 5,192 times
You can rent in Peoria, Glendale, Tempe, or Gilbert with $1000 and not be too far in any direction. Money stretches a little further in West Valley or out further in East Valley. I've had many clients find good homes for around $1000 though nearer to Scottsdale so it's doable Just have to do a little research to find them! Congrats on moving into the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area