Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

So I'm watching ABC and a commercial comes on for a dentist in Los Algodones Mexico. Kind of surprising all things considered. I've never,ever seen a foreign country advertise medical treatment here in the U.S. before.
I've been to a couple of dentist offices in Algodones and looked into a lot more and none of them looked as sparkling clean and wonderfully up to date as this commercial showed.

I also noticed that there was of course no mention of the risks of leaving the country for healthcare and I didn't notice if they actually mentioned "Mexico" at all. Maybe I missed that part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:52 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
I went to Sani dental once. It was just like going to the dentist here only much cheaper. The office was clean but sparse. My only criticism was the hygienist spoke little English but it was a standard cleaning so no big deal.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
It's hard to believe they need to advertise. The snowbirds are like flies at a picnic there in winter time. I get all my dental done there, but only go when the bulk of the tourists have gone home.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Upon closer investigation, you'll find a good portion of those Dentists in LA have been trained in the US.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
I’ve only had good experiences down there. Not sure what unsafe or dirty outfits you’re visiting?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I have friends in NM who get almost all their dental work, and some of their medical care, in Mexico. They usually just go across at El Paso.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Upon closer investigation, you'll find a good portion of those Dentists in LA have been trained in the US.

Regards
Gemstone1
True enough but with none of the regulations or safeguards for the patients.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"but with none of the regulations or safeguards for the patients"....just like every other consumer service/product, it's buyer beware. There are tens of thousands of consumers who annually head to MX for dental/eye/prescription care....no doubt some are not happy with what they received...but in the end, no one forced them to go. I was happy with my care and cost.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-20-2018, 07:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
True enough but with none of the regulations or safeguards for the patients.

My dentist in Mexico doesn’t need a computer for appointments and records, doesn’t have an “office manager” or a “coder” to fight the insurance companies. Doesn’t have a receptionist, massive student loans , or massive insurance premiums. It’s only natural that he’s also way less expensive than an American dentist.

The one thing I don’t get in these conversations about health & dental care in other countries is the perception that you’re “at risk” for health problems because you’ve crossed a border. People in other countries have figured out how to properly do medical and dental procedures, including sterilization. Your average US dentist in a strip-mall next to a pizza-hut isn’t endowed with magical anti-infectious knowledge or tools. Dentists and healthcare workers around the world are all using the same cheap Chinese supplies, and the risk for complications like infection is all based on the conscientiousness of the practitioner, not the flag they work under.

Indeed, especially in the dental field, which has largely been taken over by mega-corps, I’d be more afraid of a bean-counter in Idaho picking cheap/shoddy materials for 500 locations to make a bonus based on profit, vs a small business person in Mexico that I could actually yell at in person if they used bad materials, techniques, or supplies that caused a later problem.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:22 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
No, haven't seen them, but it's pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area