Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:07 AM

39 posts, read 104,820 times

Advertisements

So this just happened to me for the third time in six months this past weekend. And with a young family we don't eat out much.

We went out to Citizen Public House in Scottsdale for my Birthday on Saturday, when adding on service we rounded up the bill to $100. Two days later here I am routinely scanning transactions on my credit card via the American Express website, and what do I come across but a charge from Citizen Public House for $110! Click on it for more info and it's broken down to show the tip is $10 more than I added!

Obviously I have called the restaurant and am awaiting their response, which I'm sure will be "Server made an honest mistake". Well I'm not buying it anymore, this happened to us at Olive & Ivy in Scottsdale last July, and also at a work holiday party at Culinary Dropout in Tempe just before Christmas. Once I can take as a mistake, but now I see something more sinister going on.

Ultimately very few people check their credit card/bank statements at least once a week, and that's what these servers are depending on, and why they are getting away with it. By the time people get around to seeing the charge on their statements, they've most likely forgotten the cost and how much they left.

Clearly the server didn't feel the tip we left her was enough, what I decide to leave is my prerogative and this is frankly fraudulent.

Restaurants need to get on top of this. If I've caught 3 in 6 months, this must be a fairly widespread tactic.

So I urge you, regularly keep across your credit card/bank statements or else you may fall victim to the same scam.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:16 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
I've had it happen also, about 6 months ago at a little local Mexican Restaurant. The original bill was only thirty something, and they added 8 dollars for tip. (I had payed the tip in cash). No more credit card usage there for me!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Damn shame, isn't it?

After a similar "scam" hit me a few years ago, I learned to NEVER add the tip to my Credit Card and ALWAYS either draw a line through the Tip Line or enter a ZERO and then repeat the total.

Sometimes a cash tip is an issue but . . . ONCE BURNED IS ENOUGH.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:54 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Good ideas for using the card; thanks!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Inconvenient? Sure, but same here.

Cash only at restaurants (tip fraud). Cash only at gas stations (card skimming). It's an unfortunate change in how we do business based on continuous fraud. The main way they get to you is by having access to your card.

Crime we will always have with us. Prepare in advance and fight back.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedan View Post
So this just happened to me for the third time in six months this past weekend. And with a young family we don't eat out much.

We went out to Citizen Public House in Scottsdale for my Birthday on Saturday, when adding on service we rounded up the bill to $100. Two days later here I am routinely scanning transactions on my credit card via the American Express website, and what do I come across but a charge from Citizen Public House for $110! Click on it for more info and it's broken down to show the tip is $10 more than I added!

Obviously I have called the restaurant and am awaiting their response, which I'm sure will be "Server made an honest mistake". Well I'm not buying it anymore, this happened to us at Olive & Ivy in Scottsdale last July, and also at a work holiday party at Culinary Dropout in Tempe just before Christmas. Once I can take as a mistake, but now I see something more sinister going on.

Ultimately very few people check their credit card/bank statements at least once a week, and that's what these servers are depending on, and why they are getting away with it. By the time people get around to seeing the charge on their statements, they've most likely forgotten the cost and how much they left.

Clearly the server didn't feel the tip we left her was enough, what I decide to leave is my prerogative and this is frankly fraudulent.

Restaurants need to get on top of this. If I've caught 3 in 6 months, this must be a fairly widespread tactic.

So I urge you, regularly keep across your credit card/bank statements or else you may fall victim to the same scam.
Thanks for the note.

That is THEFT.

I prefer to pay cash, even when the bill hits $100 on those rare occasions (and I have several credit cards).

Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 AM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Damn shame, isn't it?

After a similar "scam" hit me a few years ago, I learned to NEVER add the tip to my Credit Card and ALWAYS either draw a line through the Tip Line or enter a ZERO and then repeat the total.

And also, if you're going to use a card and do this, you can take a photo with your smart phone and save the photo of the receipt until the bill arrives in the mail.

Sad to do, but worth it.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
HQ Restaurants??? What does that mean?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Damn shame, isn't it?

We do exactly the same thing.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Thanks for the note.

That is THEFT.

I prefer to pay cash, even when the bill hits $100 on those rare occasions (and I have several credit cards).
Should be reported to CC company as theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area