Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 8,336 times

Advertisements

Hello,l I am an an African American 31 year old woman I have two daughters (7 &10) and I also will be relocating with my partner. I know that Arizona is where we are moving because she has a job offer their starting in June. I believe the job is it actually located in Glendale so we want to live within 45 min from tbere. I have read many negative things about Az not being for blacks but I have family in Tuscon, and they love it. I live in the suburbs near Philadelphia so I'm not worried about all black or all white or any color of skinned areas, but I do want diversity. I do want to know about schools my daughters are cheerleaders and they also play sports. I love scenery and hiking also. I need to be around things like malls or restaurants, and things to do in general. We don't like to be bored. I'm also reading about the heat. I have lived in Florida and also North Carolina, and they had hot summers. People say they are no comparison. The cities that I have looked at that are at least 45 min from her job are Tempe, Glendale, Mesa, Laveen. One more question are these areas parts of Phoenix or just close. Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
You do not want to live in Tempe and work in Glendale. There's plenty of housing within a 30 minute drive of Glendale, or less. (though you don't mention a budget.)

In regard to heat, we lived in Phoenix for 25+ years, then moved to Raleigh, NC. DH finds the summer humidity in Raleigh to be awful. It doesn't bother me all that much. But neither of us had a hard time with the heat in Phoenix. If you can deal with humidity, the 'dry' heat of Phoenix will be easy.

I can't reliably comment on your concerns about being black; but I honestly can't say that racism was something I regularly noticed when I lived in Phoenix. It was more noticeable to me (as an outsider white girl looking in) when I lived in Philly.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:19 PM

My I know that I will be renting and not wanting to spend more than 1400 a month... Im not good with miles and distances so I leave it to Google. So I will look in the vicinity your are talking about. The heat does. Not bother me but my daughters think they are going to a desert and that's it. That's what's I'm thinking there racism everywhere, I live in the Delaware county outside of Philly and over never blatantly seen it if I did it was subtle. Like I said I was always raised to look at people as people that's it. Any how thanks for the info it totally helped. This stuff gives me a headache. ☺

Old 03-06-2017, 04:51 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Just live in Glendale. Personally I like both the Arrowhead and Westgate areas. And there are blacks here in AZ, you'll be fine :-)

Old 03-06-2017, 05:11 PM

770 posts, read 838,112 times
You should look at a map because Tempe and Mesa are at the opposite of the valley from Glendale. Laveen was built before the bubble and 2 of my coworkers live there and they complain how the area has declined. You should stay north of the 10 and just live in Glendale around Arrowhead Mall.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Ok thanks for the feedback. I did look at the map. I think I will just stay in Glendale area. I'm in the criminal justice field so i get a lot of offers for juvenile centers in Phoenix. I will be visiting in April so I will be able to see what its Like as far as distances. My city has really bad traffic and horrific crime rates so any where has to be better than this. Thanks TempeAZnative and WSPHXPELPON.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:33 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Look in Surprise and Goodyear. They are in your budget and within 45 minutes of Glendale for the most part. Also, consider northern parts of Glendale and north and west parts of Peoria. Forget about the race business. Phoenix (metro) may be the best city in the country for acceptance of black persons. Your problem, if any, is that you come from a place where there is a large black presence and culture and you are moving to one where blacks are much more integrated into communities of whites, Hispanics, Asians etc than you typically see in the eastern US. Your kids' friends are going to be mostly white and Hispanic. You'll adjust.

Schools, like everywhere, depend on income in an area. $1400 rent is generally going to be a decent area and the schools should be fine.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM

Thanks Ponderosa. I just want diversity, I live where there is literally every race near me. I just don't want to go to areas where I will stick out like a sore thumb. I don't want an all Black presence, I want to be in a mixed community. I would not want to move somewhere where my children are the only black kids. I have lived like that and at times it was rough. I'm just worried about crime and distance for the most part. Whats up with the scorpions? I see a lot of people talking about them also. I have family in Tuscon and there state is all that they talk about. Again thanks A bunch!!!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryc View Post
....I just don't want to go to areas where I will stick out like a sore thumb. I don't want an all Black presence, I want to be in a mixed community. I would not want to move somewhere where my children are the only black kids...
I might catch a little flack for speaking so bluntly, but you came here for the truth, not some pretty sounding B.S. - So here ya go:

You will be **almost** the only black folks in Gilbert as that is mostly all white.

You will be **almost** the only black folks in a lot of West Side Phoenix neighborhoods as some of them are like little Mexico. Same goes for Guadalupe.

Most other valley areas will be a mixture of whites, Mexicans, blacks with some Natives, Asians and others scattered in.

Obviously these are not hard rules and there are exceptions; but that is the general trend. If you are curious about any other specific area just ask.

Edit - This is a pretty interesting article regarding race concentrations in the valley http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...zona/17633815/

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 03-06-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
I would recommend looking in Glendale. Driving from Tempe to Glendale every day will make you wanna blow your head off. As for being black? No one will care as long as you're a good neighbor. The heat here is much different than in NC. Its much, much hotter and much drier. You might like it, you might hate it. Just be prepared to deal with how long it lasts, and how its unrelenting (seeing a day below 100 degrees in summer makes people happy). Scorpions? Check the neighborhood you're interested in, and ask the neighbors if they have problems. I wouldn't recommend buying or renting a place that's infested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area