Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
From my understanding - if you go to a new development without a realtor, you can't add one to the process after. You need to go in with a realtor in the first place. This may be wrong but this is what every realtor in every networking group I've been to has said. You may want to go to a different neighborhood with a realtor to start the process. The ones you've already signed into without one, you're pretty much on your own with.
Depends on the builder and the market. For example, Pulte holds pretty tightly to that rule in their 55+ Del Webb communities. Limited supply of that kind of housing and big demandatory allows them to be restrictive. But not so much in their other communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
From my understanding - if you go to a new development without a realtor, you can't add one to the process after. You need to go in with a realtor in the first place. This may be wrong but this is what every realtor in every networking group I've been to has said. You may want to go to a different neighborhood with a realtor to start the process. The ones you've already signed into without one, you're pretty much on your own with.
yes and no. Many require that, some will allow you to add your agent later. They want to sell homes, they do not always have that rigid of a policy about it. Some do and some don't. But, any fees paid to an outside agent are paid by the builder. They are never paid from the buyer to the agent.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:37 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
By negotiating on the price the builder devalues the previously sold homes and the ones coming up so it is very rare for a builder to do that. What they may do is toss in some upgrade money for cosmetics but even that is rare. Mostly what you will find is closing costs paid for, all or in part, by using their lender and maybe even a better than average rate which could be a pretty big incentive and save you thousands. If they paid $7k toward closings you could use that money to put down and get it within your budget; very bad advice but some people want to push the limits of their budget for no good reason.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 7,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
By negotiating on the price the builder devalues the previously sold homes and the ones coming up so it is very rare for a builder to do that. What they may do is toss in some upgrade money for cosmetics but even that is rare. Mostly what you will find is closing costs paid for, all or in part, by using their lender and maybe even a better than average rate which could be a pretty big incentive and save you thousands. If they paid $7k toward closings you could use that money to put down and get it within your budget; very bad advice but some people want to push the limits of their budget for no good reason.
Thanks for the tip. If the closing costs don't add up to $7k in your example, then it could still go towards points, prepaid taxes, etc, but not directly toward the downpayment right?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbyguy View Post
Thanks for the tip. If the closing costs don't add up to $7k in your example, then it could still go towards points, prepaid taxes, etc, but not directly toward the downpayment right?
Umm, if $7k is making that big a difference, maybe you need to lower your budget? Seriously consider buying an existing home?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 PM
SMG

One thing to be careful of, I had this situation awhile back. Builder advertises they will "pay X% towards closing costs". Make certain it is only your closing costs and not theirs as well. Yes, the builder will have closing costs too. Another thing to look out for..what happens if by some chance the property does not appraise for sales price? Are you picking up the balance? Splitting it with the builder? is there a clause where you can walk?These things can occur, as well as a host of other things.....all good reasons to be represented because the sales guy in the office works for them and has their best interest at heart.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
You won't normally have an option to buy points using their program it is pretty strict. Basically the builder "buys" a bunch of loans with fixed rates and concessions from the lender and the lender gives them to you so the builder technically isn't giving anything it is all from the lender. Those programs shouldn't go toward prepaids but sometimes the program may (my loan from Dec they did pay some of my taxes); prepaids aren't closing costs. It won't ever go toward the down payment.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 PM
SMG

If speaking with the lender and getting that okay, I would ask to specify in the contract that $7k will be applied to prepays AND closing costs, not just closing costs.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm, if $7k is making that big a difference, maybe you need to lower your budget? Seriously consider buying an existing home?
Let's say I'd rather it be my $7k than theirs.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Let's say I'd rather it be my $7k than theirs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
One thing to be careful of, I had this situation awhile back. Builder advertises they will "pay X% towards closing costs". Make certain it is only your closing costs and not theirs as well. Yes, the builder will have closing costs too. Another thing to look out for..what happens if by some chance the property does not appraise for sales price? Are you picking up the balance? Splitting it with the builder? is there a clause where you can walk?These things can occur, as well as a host of other things.....all good reasons to be represented because the sales guy in the office works for them and has their best interest at heart.
The last time I bought a new home the rate of the loan from the lender recommended by the builder was so high it wasn't worth the extra incentive money. We went with a different lender. It is good to know that it is possible for them to have as good an offer. Hopefully the situation won't be like last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area