Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,286,627 times

Advertisements

It was 76 in my car this AM at 7:30 when I dropped the kids off at Summer Camp. During the 120 day it says the low will be 90 but usually it's several degrees cooler here in Chandler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

226 posts, read 227,662 times
5-6 mountain rescues during the next week. Hopefully none of them serious.
Some people will never get it. You don't go hiking up Camelback with a bottle of Dasani at 3PM when it's 120 degrees outside. You just don't. That's not machismo, and it's not "showing off your peak athletic form". That's stupidity.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,700,454 times
Oh here we go again. What a bunch of whiners.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Oh please. I grew up practicing in hot Summer days for 2-3 hours wearing football pads. Kids still do so today. If you're fat or old, stay indoors. If you're in shape and want to hike and have a 3 hour window to do so, then so be it. I don't do it lately because I have kids, but I've probably hiked a few hundred times in 105+ degree weather, never got as much as lightheaded. Work in a homeless shelter? haha I have no desire to volunteer my time on those people.
They don't get it. I'm not sure if people don't what it's like to be in shape, or if they're just jealous.

Every year it's the same thing; just wait for it. Within a month we're going to have the "too many rescues" thread of 2017. Some tourist is going to come in from a cold climate, grab a bottle of Evian from the gas station, and head to the nice hot red rock of Camelback Mountain in the afternoon sun. They're going to get into trouble, and then the same blowhards are going to DEMAND that the trails be closed when it's "too hot" (whatever too hot is).

But, every day EMS is going to continue to rush out to calls for people who are ill from lifestyle choices. EMS is going to endanger the public (and endanger their own heroic selves) by rushing to rescue people ill from a lifetime of bodily neglect. A lot of those people aren't going to pay for anything. You will not hear about those rescues though. It's all about the high profile mountain rescues. I think a lot of people just need something to complain about.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I dont get this obsession with hiking when the temps are over 100 degrees....

I know they will never ban people from walking through public areas at any time,temp, or whatever, but come on, unless you are in top notch, "training" type of condition, you should be fined/jailed/ or neutered if first res ponders have to rescue you in those kinds of temperatures..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
We're moving out there in a few weeks
Seriously?! You're asking how to keep groceries cool in the summer, you don't even live here, but you know how to handle the trails?

Old 06-16-2017, 07:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,926,282 times
where did I say I know how to "handle" the trails?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:05 PM

551 posts, read 694,435 times
Predictions are:

- "Lived here all my life" type who collapses even though they "know their limits"
- A foreigner who ignores warnings and thinks people are exaggerating, and then collapses
- At least one hot car problem

Old 06-16-2017, 10:05 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They don't get it. I'm not sure if people don't what it's like to be in shape, or if they're just jealous.

Every year it's the same thing; just wait for it. Within a month we're going to have the "too many rescues" thread of 2017. Some tourist is going to come in from a cold climate, grab a bottle of Evian from the gas station, and head to the nice hot red rock of Camelback Mountain in the afternoon sun. They're going to get into trouble, and then the same blowhards are going to DEMAND that the trails be closed when it's "too hot" (whatever too hot is).

But, every day EMS is going to continue to rush out to calls for people who are ill from lifestyle choices. EMS is going to endanger the public (and endanger their own heroic selves) by rushing to rescue people ill from a lifetime of bodily neglect. A lot of those people aren't going to pay for anything. You will not hear about those rescues though. It's all about the high profile mountain rescues. I think a lot of people just need something to complain about.
I'm in favor of either closing the trails or slapping a fine on anyone who has to be rescued from the trails.

I would rather EMS rescue elderly people in their own homes who have fallen and can't get up, or children who have been victims of abuse, or people who had strokes or heart attacks.

How do you know someone with a health issue was neglectful? Who are you to point an accusing finger at a sick person who might have been born with a medical condition?

A good example of neglectful is these knuckleheads who hike the trails in the summertime because they think they're physically fit and invincible but end up lost, overheated or disoriented.

Even the most experienced hikers or athletic people can suffer from heat stroke and some of them have been rescued from the trails. They are certainly neglectful of their bodies when they don't consider how much of a toll the extreme heat can have on even the most healthy person.

We have to ask ourselves why hiking a trail in a city is such a big draw, I don't get it.

Seriously, aren't there enough big-city things available in the fifth largest city to keep people occupied?

Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 AM

9,783 posts, read 11,187,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Thanks for the advice, I was forced to volunteer in a homeless shelter in college, and I found the majority of the people I had to deal with to be lazy turds. Working 55-60 hours a week on my business, I have no sympathy for those folks.
With your chosen words "forced", I predict you have a strong prebias before you "volunteered". Meaning, the word forced and volunteer don't belong in the same sentence.

So you know, the number 1 cause for "those lazy turds" enjoying their wonderful life in a homeless shelters is related to mental illness. The most ideal survey is that >25% have mental illness. Most comprehensive surveys suggest that around 1/2 are mentally ill. Here are some stats.
https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/cons...tally-ill.html

"One study found that 28 percent of homeless people with previous psychiatric hospitalizations obtained some food from garbage cans and 8 percent used garbage cans as a primary food source." That's the lowest percentage and it goes up from there.

So those "lazy losers" just need to pick themselves up. I guess if they were raped as a child, clinically depressed because of family history, or if they grew up with abusive parents that crushed their self esteem. As a college student, you could tell that they were just lazy? How so? Your solution: simply get your crap together and start a business. Easy! Right?

In all seriousness, I volunteered here St. Vincent de Paul . It was humbling and eye opening. It changed my mind a lot.

There is NO doubt that there are scam artist i.e. couchsurfer real LOSERS that roam the streets begging for $$'s. But IMHO, once they hit a homeless shelter, they have some serious issues.

Disclaimer: I don't hug trees. I have never voted for a democrat. I'm all for accountability. I also think darwinism is harsh but a reality even for us humans (the fittest should survive and les than ideal forks reproducing fast is not good for society). But where you or anybody else are in life has nearly EVERYTHING to do with your gene pool and how you grew up. Excluding outliers, r (the correlation coefficient) is damn near 1.0.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'm in favor of either closing the trails or slapping a fine on anyone who has to be rescued from the trails.

I would rather EMS rescue elderly people in their own homes who have fallen and can't get up, or children who have been victims of abuse, or people who had strokes or heart attacks.

How do you know someone with a health issue was neglectful? Who are you to point an accusing finger at a sick person who might have been born with a medical condition?

A good example of neglectful is these knuckleheads who hike the trails in the summertime because they think they're physically fit and invincible but end up lost, overheated or disoriented.

Even the most experienced hikers or athletic people can suffer from heat stroke and some of them have been rescued from the trails. They are certainly neglectful of their bodies when they don't consider how much of a toll the extreme heat can have on even the most healthy person.

We have to ask ourselves why hiking a trail in a city is such a big draw, I don't get it.

Seriously, aren't there enough big-city things available in the fifth largest city to keep people occupied?
Of course there are. However...

Hiking is a major draw, and is one of Arizona's great outdoor experiences, when done correctly.

Unfortunately, there are many people who lack the basic knowledge needed when it comes to outdoor activities. Obviously, people hiking in Phoenix during the middle of the day -- during the hottest times of the year -- is not advisable, and will not end well, especially they're when not properly trained and prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area