Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
What about people who work from home? Does anyone know what the prevailing attitude among landlords is for self-employed renters?
What I've seen posted most often online at apartment sites for self-employed is a copy of the most current tax return, plus the last 2 months bank statements. You'll need enough income on the tax return and statements to equal 2.5 times the rent of the unit you're looking at. That seems to be the average. A few complexes I looked at online want 3 months bank statements and 3x the rent in income, but that doesn't seem to be the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:14 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Things have definitely changed now that our housing market in "hot". Landlords, apartments and rental agencies know they can be strict and demand top dollar and...they are.Someone suggested an extended stay which is not a bad idea, but I also think you should get a P.O. Box when you visit to give you and AZ address if you don't find an apartment. You may also want to check the employment agencies or head hunters in the area for work. Good luck.
PO boxes vary by location:

https://poboxes.usps.com/findBox.htm...x%2C%20arizona

The cheapest post offices are Osborn, Rio Salado, Arcadia, Northeast, and a few others which are $18 for 3 months. All you need OP is one of these small PO boxes. No need in getting the bigger ones. Just the smallest one is fine.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
#1 bad idea: Create a fake offer letter of transfer from my current company
#2 bad idea: Put a random Arizona address on my resume so that I am noticed by companies down there
Super bad idea. As soon as they check you out and find that bad information you could be in serious trouble.

Paying 3-6 months up front in advance for rent would be a plus.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM

50 posts, read 55,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Is there any particular reason why you are sidestepping the credit report? And your pets? And your rental references? I would rather see those than a letter about your new call center job.
No, we're not side stepping a credit report, and we told them about our pets, and have good rental references. Also I don't have a call center job, and never will... so I am confused about your post.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks for your responses. As my valium kicks in, let me just say that I'm on a tight rope right now. We found ONE complex that will rent to us using just 3 months of bank statements (and the credit * background checks of course, which should be fine). BUT it's their last unit available, and it might go fast, and their online website was hard to navigate and logged us out a few times, and didn't include me on the application at first, and gave us nowhere to upload the documents. So I had to make a few calls to them. Ugh. i'm about to implode.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
No, we're not side stepping a credit report, and we told them about our pets, and have good rental references. Also I don't have a call center job, and never will... so I am confused about your post.
Ignore Hal, he assumes that people who move here and ask questions like this are unskilled workers

Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Haha good ol' Hal

Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Icebear12, why not stay at an extended stay place or Budget Suites until you find a job? You might also contact thelocalhomehunters.com, an apartment locating service. I get the impression from their website that they will work with folks not here yet. I could be wrong about that, though, I'm just going by what they have posted on the website.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:04 AM

159 posts, read 226,150 times
IceBear12, Good idea from yukon to stay at an extended stay for a while. Somebody just posted that the one in Tempe was cheap without any weird people. Also check the AirBnB listings because they're like hotels and only want your ID and rent paid in advance. And definitely be honest about everything!! It's the right thing to do, besides it's just too easy to check on people these days.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 AM

7 posts, read 5,074 times
Arizona is just as pretentious as California
look maybe try living in a 3rd world country for a few months
you will really feel that American dream then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area