Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 02:09 PM

50 posts, read 55,428 times

Advertisements

We're having difficulties finding an apartment. It seems they need proof of income from *Arizona* and I currently live in Utah. I asked what they (the apartment managers) do for people who move from out of state then, and they said either a co-signer or a job transfer but if you don't have income from Arizona yet, you can't get an apartment. I've noticed, trying to apply for jobs in Arizona, that you won't get noticed unless you have an Arizona address! So it is a catch-22 and at this point we're stumped!

Does anyone have any info on this, is it a state law? I've moved sight-unseen to apartments before without first having a job, this is the first time this has happened to us. We're going to visit Oct 12-18 to try and secure employment, but what if we do, and by then all the apartments we're looking at are gone?

And what about snowbirds who go to Arizona for the winter and maybe rent an apartment but actually live in another state the rest of the year? How do they get one then?

I tried calling the Arizona Housing Authority already to ask about the laws regarding this but they didn't answer so I had to leave a voicemail.

Has anyone else gone through this before? If so, ideas? Tips?

#1 bad idea: Create a fake offer letter of transfer from my current company
#2 bad idea: Put a random Arizona address on my resume so that I am noticed by companies down there

What do we do? We have to move out by Oct 31!!

Please help if you can. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 02:14 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,240 times
Can you get a copy of your offer letter or are you moving here without a job? When I moved to Arizona, I had no proof of income from Arizona, but I had no trouble finding a place to live with a copy of my offer letter. As long as the apartment complex receives the requisite deposits along with proof of employment, I don't see where there would be an issue.

If you are moving here without a job, you need to prove that you will be able to pay your rent. If you can, maybe offer to pay several months of rent in advance.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:34 PM

50 posts, read 55,428 times
Yeah we do not yet have jobs. I just got a call (I was on the verge of having to pop 10 valiums) from an apartment in Mesa that will take 3 months bank statements. And we're gong down there to try and get employment this month anyway. I think we could, if we had to, pay about 3 months rent in advance. But it wasn't necessary. Thank god. Now I can save my valium and wash my pants.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
Is there any particular reason why you are sidestepping the credit report? And your pets? And your rental references? I would rather see those than a letter about your new call center job.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:58 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
Yeah we do not yet have jobs. I just got a call (I was on the verge of having to pop 10 valiums) from an apartment in Mesa that will take 3 months bank statements. And we're gong down there to try and get employment this month anyway. I think we could, if we had to, pay about 3 months rent in advance. But it wasn't necessary. Thank god. Now I can save my valium and wash my pants.
I also suggest looking into extended stay hotels

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Is there any particular reason why you are sidestepping the credit report? And your pets? And your rental references? I would rather see those than a letter about your new call center job.
Did they say they were going to be working as telemarketers? Or are you just assuming the worst

Old 10-04-2017, 08:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
When my daughter and I moved here, we found an apt. and neither of us had jobs. We offered to pay up front for a few months and we signed the lease at the time we visited. Maybe times have changed. This was back in 2001.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:34 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,723,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
When my daughter and I moved here, we found an apt. and neither of us had jobs. We offered to pay up front for a few months and we signed the lease at the time we visited. Maybe times have changed. This was back in 2001.
Things have definitely changed now that our housing market in "hot". Landlords, apartments and rental agencies know they can be strict and demand top dollar and...they are.Someone suggested an extended stay which is not a bad idea, but I also think you should get a P.O. Box when you visit to give you and AZ address if you don't find an apartment. You may also want to check the employment agencies or head hunters in the area for work. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,067 times
Quote:
We're having difficulties finding an apartment. It seems they need proof of income from *Arizona* and I currently live in Utah. I asked what they (the apartment managers) do for people who move from out of state then, and they said either a co-signer or a job transfer but if you don't have income from Arizona yet, you can't get an apartment. I've noticed, trying to apply for jobs in Arizona, that you won't get noticed unless you have an Arizona address! So it is a catch-22 and at this point we're stumped!

!
What about people who work from home? Does anyone know what the prevailing attitude among landlords is for self-employed renters?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,146 times
Quote:

Does anyone have any info on this, is it a state law? I've moved sight-unseen to apartments before without first having a job, this is the first time this has happened to us. We're going to visit Oct 12-18 to try and secure employment, but what if we do, and by then all the apartments we're looking at are gone?

And what about snowbirds who go to Arizona for the winter and maybe rent an apartment but actually live in another state the rest of the year? How do they get one then?

I tried calling the Arizona Housing Authority already to ask about the laws regarding this but they didn't answer so I had to leave a voicemail.

Has anyone else gone through this before? If so, ideas? Tips?

#1 bad idea: Create a fake offer letter of transfer from my current company
#2 bad idea: Put a random Arizona address on my resume so that I am noticed by companies down there

What do we do? We have to move out by Oct 31!!

Please help if you can. Thanks!
I think it highly depends on the apartment complex. When I moved without a job, they approved me because I was able to show that I had enough saved up in the bank for at least 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area