Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well you should, because older pumps are easier to hack with credit card skimmers. The Gilbarco Encore 700 S will shut off if it loses communication with its credit card reader.
Look for the Weights and Measures tape on to be intact on the pump corner; problem solved. I also, pick the pump closest to the front door of the station. There were 46 devices found in the metro area See 40 gas station skimmers found in Arizona - ABC15 Arizona

For those people using debit cards to buy gas, that's a no-no. Because the person skimming your credit card info will have your pin number memorized too. In fact, I have shed all of my debit cards. Generally speaking, they are a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I do not care.

Steal my card and in a day I'll call to cancel it and have a new one within a week. I check my accounts 3x per week. There's literally nothing that bothers me about that and it's why I don't even keep an active debit card. Credit Card fraud is nothing these days and has likely happened to anyone who buys stuff online too.
I'm curious, if you do't care, why do you check your cards 3X a week? It's a serious question.

I care because I put every transaction I can though my credit cards for perks. It racks up to about 1.5M points a year. That is why I have all kinds of automatic payments coming out of my credit card. If the vendor will allow me to pay without an up charge, I will use my CC. If someone steals my card, I have a two hour project changing all of these numbers and it is a PITA. Also, those cards get exported into Quickbooks. If you freeze your card and don't import those into Quickbooks, you have another couple of hours worth of work manually entering them. Hence, people guard their cards information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Actually, one on the busiest gas stations is Costco. They are the cheapest to start with, use the highest quality additives, and I get 4% back with my Costco credit card.

Gas is so competitively priced in suburbia. So after the stores credit card fees, stores often barely break even of lose a little. It's the convenience store aspect that keeps them in business. Most of the time, I do use the convenience store aspect. If it is early, I might get a coffee or a breakfast sandwich. If I am in a hurry and they have a built in sandwich shop, I will specifically stop at one of those locations to kill two birds with one stone.

Being a cheapskate, I can never understand who gasses up at Chevron? Sometimes, a Chevron can be close to 15 cents more a gallon and a Fry's or whoever often times are right across the street.

I will say my wife is infinitely more sensitive to gas station cleanliness. If the store is not kept up, normally the bathroom is the same way. So females care more because they have to sit 100% of the time. I suspect that is why the passion for store cleanliness exists more for some than others.

That's why I said "virtually no". And the Costco gas area is not like the "gas station" of old. Since I don't have a Costco card these days, I only see them from afar.

I agree about Chevron. Unless I have enough Safeway points to knock down the price, it's not worth it. It is a very good quality gasoline, though, with the Techron added, which is a good product. Still, it's cheaper to buy a bottle of Techron on sale at AutoZone or O'Reilly and pour it in straight once in awhile.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's why I said "virtually no". And the Costco gas area is not like the "gas station" of old. Since I don't have a Costco card these days, I only see them from afar.

I agree about Chevron. Unless I have enough Safeway points to knock down the price, it's not worth it. It is a very good quality gasoline, though, with the Techron added, which is a good product. Still, it's cheaper to buy a bottle of Techron on sale at AutoZone or O'Reilly and pour it in straight once in awhile.
Understood. I did read your "virtually no" part on your post. In the Arrowhead Costco location, they have a ton of gas lanes and many times it's 6 cars deep on each lane. I'm always shocked as to how busy their stations are. In AZ, Costco now adds their best additives as well.

Speaking of Safeway, I don't shop there because they too seem overpriced. In our Surprise location, they have to be losing $$'s. It's always empty. I use the USBank location inside of the store. Like Chevron, they charge more. While this survey comes from OR, it shows that Safeway charges a premium We compared prices at 7 different grocery stores and the results surprised us (interactive graphic) | OregonLive.com

Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Understood. I did read your "virtually no" part on your post. In the Arrowhead Costco location, they have a ton of gas lanes and many times it's 6 cars deep on each lane. I'm always shocked as to how busy their stations are. In AZ, Costco now adds their best additives as well.

Speaking of Safeway, I don't shop there because they too seem overpriced. In our Surprise location, they have to be losing $$'s. It's always empty. I use the USBank location inside of the store. Like Chevron, they charge more. While this survey comes from OR, it shows that Safeway charges a premium We compared prices at 7 different grocery stores and the results surprised us (interactive graphic) | OregonLive.com

Not to stray too far off topic, but there are things I will buy at Safeway, which is the closest store to me, that are competitively priced, or on sale, but for heavier shopping and for the many things that they charge way more for, for no apparent reason, I travel an extra mile to Fry's. I DO use Fry's gas pumps and their rewards points, as there's a station a scant mile from my house, across the street from the Safeway. .

Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I DO use Fry's gas pumps and their rewards points, as there's a station a scant mile from my house, across the street from the Safeway. .
same here; frys overall food prices, and their gas rewards are a win win, IMO...

Old 10-17-2017, 12:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Gas is so competitively priced in suburbia.
A quick look at gasbuddy seems to show that prices are higher in the suburbs than in the city center.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
A quick look at gasbuddy seems to show that prices are higher in the suburbs than in the city center.
Aren't historically gas prices are highest in Scottsdale on average?

Old 10-17-2017, 01:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
regular at circle k by my house near lake pleasant and jomax is 229 per gallon, less any frys points I have to use

Old 10-17-2017, 01:32 PM

164 posts, read 183,900 times
Almost without exception, my gas comes from Costco. The prices are good and I get a percentage back on my Costco credit card. There was an employee at the Arcadia Crossing location that wanted to share the word of the lord with me anytime I got gas. That was not appreciated. I use the car wash at the north Scottsdale location. I don't do the big gulps any more so rarely go into a Circle K or a Quickie Mart. The Quickie Marts were spotlessly clean at grand opening and got progressively grungier. I felt like I should take a grout brush along.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
What I meant to say was prices in the metro areas (including the burbs) versus outer spots. I was in Rocky Point over the weekend. In Gila Bend, the prices were $265 a gallon. In those areas, the gas stations don't feel the competition as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area