Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

Normally from May to late October, I'm in MN. This year we came early. I've been enjoying these 90-98 degrees days for the past couple of weeks. The evenings and mornings have been wonderful and I don't mind being in the sun at 98 degrees. IMHO, it's child's play specifically because of the low humidity. I despise the FL humidity even if it is 85 degrees.

I'm tying to figure out how bad summers would be here. My minds wandering; maybe I should sell my MN home and only rent something farther north for a month or two. Maintaining two places is getting old.

So my question is, what percentage of days during the summer feel like these last couple of weeks? Subjectively speaking, does it get a lot worse or just a little worse. I could imagine that 6 months of 98 degrees and low humidity would get wearing. But I suspect if I broke it up by leaving in the worst month or two would be a great compromise. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Normally from May to late October, I'm in MN. This year we came early. I've been enjoying these 90-98 degrees days for the past couple of weeks. The evenings and mornings have been wonderful and I don't mind being in the sun at 98 degrees. IMHO, it's child's play specifically because of the low humidity. I despise the FL humidity even if it is 85 degrees.

I'm tying to figure out how bad summers would be here. My minds wandering; maybe I should sell my MN home and only rent something farther north for a month or two. Maintaining two places is getting old.

So my question is, what percentage of days during the summer feel like these last couple of weeks? Subjectively speaking, does it get a lot worse or just a little worse. I could imagine that 6 months of 98 degrees and low humidity would get wearing. But I suspect if I broke it up by leaving in the worst month or two would be a great compromise. Your thoughts?

It'll all depend on your tolerance for the extreme heat throughout the summer. Just like back in MN it's not so bad the first month once it starts getting cold but after the 3rd or 4th month it start wearing on you. You're not going to get days like these usually from June-Sept and July and August will get humid. Now coming from the east coast it's nothing like the humidity there but yes it's still humid here and if there are storms the dew points will climb into the 70's for a brief time. For me the end of June is the most trying month as temps are the highest and it's very dry. Pre heat your over to 450 put a fan on you and it'll give you a good idea of what June's like.

If you're able to get away for a couple months during the summer months that would be ideal. I usually make a few trips up to Flagstaff and even just a few long weekends help break things up. Personally I think the heat is much easier to deal with than the cold and snow back east and could never go back to that style of living. For me it was the best move I've made! Maybe take a trip out here next June for a few weeks and see how you like it?

I was maintaining two places and yes it gets old quick. Especially during the dead of winter always wondering if a pipe froze and burst or the furnace malfunctioned. I hated always bothering friends and family to check on my place,no one wants to go out all the time in those freezing conditions.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM

90 posts, read 113,188 times
It only feels like the last couple of weeks during early/mid October and and mid/late April. Mid-May-September it is typically always over 100 degrees.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:41 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Well the mid to high 90's this time of year are record setting, although the last 2 years it is starting to feel like a trend.

4th of July though Labor day is usually the worst, this is when even the mornings are not that great due to humidity. June has some very hot days, but they are dry so I can deal with it.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Methinx I luv weather threads!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
No, it's not typical. Temps are 10 degrees above normal. The barometric pressure numbers behind all this heat we have been seeing are in the 90th percentile and higher. That said, it does seem like the heat comes on earlier and lasts longer than it used to. The nights and mornings have been great in spite of the afternoon peak and if you have been up north it has been absolutely gorgeous. We need rain, though. I can't remember the last time it rained at Casa Mia. Early August maybe.

This is also the time we make bank on our electric rates and the lingering heat is going to cost me in a higher budget payment I think.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
I like the idea MN.

I think if you were to escape to a cooler climate for July and August you would have something to look forward to in May/June when the first wave of hell hits and upon your return in September there would be the proverbial light at the end of the (heat) tunnel.

The downside is that you wouldn't bask in these shortened "hot" days like today that I have come to thumb my nose at.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:55 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
If summer were like these last couple weeks few would complain. It's the humidity and the hot nights during monsoon and the blast furnace of late June that bother us. Right now it's like geez will it ever cool off, but it is not really difficult living with it other than wanting to experience a little chill again. I could be happy just getting away totally from mid-June to end of August thereabouts. For respite in the shoulder seasons, there is always a trip to the mountains if you can deal with the traffic.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If summer were like these last couple weeks few would complain. It's the humidity and the hot nights during monsoon and the blast furnace of late June that bother us. Right now it's like geez will it ever cool off, but it is not really difficult living with it other than wanting to experience a little chill again. I could be happy just getting away totally from mid-June to end of August thereabouts. For respite in the shoulder seasons, there is always a trip to the mountains if you can deal with the traffic.
Thanks for everyone's feedback. This ^^ is what I was wondering about. It sounds like there are about 60 or so days of intense weather (late June to late August). Additionally, many months of 90+ degrees wear people down.

The same could be accomplished in MN if we dodged December 1st to February 1st. But for me, 40% cloud cover during the MN winter months gets me in a "p_ssy" mood.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I like the idea MN.

I think if you were to escape to a cooler climate for July and August you would have something to look forward to in May/June when the first wave of hell hits and upon your return in September there would be the proverbial light at the end of the (heat) tunnel.

The downside is that you wouldn't bask in these shortened "hot" days like today that I have come to thumb my nose at.
At age 52, I already have to start planning for the end game. Because 10 years goes by in a flash. I could easily coast out life by dodging the worse weather months here in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area