Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:14 AM

107 posts, read 201,133 times

Advertisements

My first set of Valeo Ultimate Frameless blades just turned 3 years old and is still holding up great in the AZ sun. No streaking or chattering or rubber breakdown. I have them on four of our family's cars now.

They fluctuate from $12-14 apiece on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CD8HH8/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 6,005 times
Wiper blades in the desert die from the extreme heat, not due to use during the rare rainfall we have. They dry out and get hard, cracked and inflexible making them pretty useless when it does rain. I've been in the Phoenix area for 36 years and replace my wipers every 2 -3 years.

Also, car batteries die quickly here. Cheap or premium batteries tend to last about 3 years. And unlike Wisconsin, where I came here from, where batteries gave you a hint they were going south, down here they are really good until one day you get in your car and you battery is just dead. The exception is the Optima gel cell batteries, which are much more expensive. I've purchased them in the past and had one last 5 years. The don't make them for my Hondas, but they are worth the extra cash if they make one for your car.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
On my mother's Fiat 500, after the one of the high quality beam blades (driver side) that came with it since we bought it in 2014 needed a replacement, we initially replaced it with one of the cheap SuperTech blades from Walmart. That blade only lasted two months, which is making us think twice about buying the cheapest available blades. We replaced that one with a Trico Flex beam blade. Now the other beam blade (passenger) that came with the vehicle is needing replacement. Since the blade for the passenger side isn't readily available in stores, we bought a Trico NeoForm blade from Amazon. The Trico NeoForm seems to have excellent reviews, including from some people from the Valley on Amazon.

I was wondering, do you seem to prefer to buy high-quality wiper blades, or do you prefer to buy the cheapest available wiper blades? Considering how long the beam wiper blades that the previous owners installed on my mother's Fiat 500 have lasted compared to the cheap SuperTech blade that we tried, I am thinking we should steer clear of the cheap blades. I did read somewhere that Walmart actually switched manufacturers last year for the SuperTech blades; they were formerly rebranded Anco blades, but now they are made in China by Rally Manufacturing and quality has suffered.
Are your wiper blades broken? Or is the rubber (wiping) performance not up to par when it was new?

I never replace the blade, I only replace the rubber. My car is a Camry and I buy the OEM rubber replacements from the dealership and replace them on the current wiper blades on the car. They run about $15-20 for the front set (2x rubber inserts) and they last a very long time even through summers, easily 2 years on 1 set. It's also easily replaceable, can be done in a few minutes.

The only time i'll replace the blade itself is if there's obvious discoloration. Just to make it look nice again. Other than that, it's a complete waste to throw a whole blade out just because of the rubber.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Buy the cheapies because you'll hardly ever use them, and why waste money on expensive blades that dry out and break just like all the rest? Ive sprung for the overpriced Rain-X brand wipers and they didn't last any longer than the $7 Auto Zone specials. Its an absolute waste of money to buy expensive wiper blades here.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Buy the cheapies because you'll hardly ever use them, and why waste money on expensive blades that dry out and break just like all the rest? Ive sprung for the overpriced Rain-X brand wipers and they didn't last any longer than the $7 Auto Zone specials. Its an absolute waste of money to buy expensive wiper blades here.
In contrast, we never had to replace the high-end blades that were included on the Fiat 500 that we bought in 2014 until this year. We replaced one of them with a cheap SuperTech blade from Walmart and it only lasted two months. I do believe there is a difference in rubber quality.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Is your stuff falling apart? Thank Walmart | Grist

Last purchase I made at Walmart was a pair of sneakers that were worn out after about a month. Yeah, the price was low, but the cost per step was very high.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Is your stuff falling apart? Thank Walmart | Grist

Last purchase I made at Walmart was a pair of sneakers that were worn out after about a month. Yeah, the price was low, but the cost per step was very high.
I don't buy most of my clothes from Walmart except for basic things such as T-shirts, socks, and underwear. For my usual polo and button-down shirts, I mostly buy IZOD, which is sold at JCPenney, Kohl's, some Macy's, Belk, and Amazon.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I just don't trust them, after my own experiences and also reading about some of the things they do to cut costs.

At least Costco has a generous return policy on most things. I've only returned a couple of items over the years that I wasn't happy with, but got no complaints or resistance.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:25 PM

Almost a year later, the Trico Neoform wiper blade on my mother's Fiat 500 is still going strong, and the slightly older Trico Flex blade is doing fine as well. I'm glad we didn't waste our money on those cheap Walmart blades.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:16 AM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
I have a question, do all of you have your cars fully garaged, or in carports, or out in the open? I imagine if your vehicle is fully garaged your wipers last far longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area