Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 07:09 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times

Advertisements

What are some good mountains/trails for hiking with little kids here in the valley? We are looking for something either paved or with a very level walking surface (we want to bring a double-wide stroller so the kids can just sit when they get tired). Thanks in advance!

Edit: When I say "level" walking surface I don't mean that it can't be steep, I just mean not too bumpy/Rocky so I can't push the stroller wheels.

Last edited by WSPHXPELON; 12-31-2017 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 01:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
What are some good mountains/trails for hiking with little kids here in the valley? We are looking for something either paved or with a very level walking surface (we want to bring a double-wide stroller so the kids can just sit when they get tired). Thanks in advance!

Edit: When I say "level" walking surface I don't mean that it can't be steep, I just mean not too bumpy/Rocky so I can't push the stroller wheels.
There’s a compacted path around the west side of Papago park that runs 5k total, some elevation change but nothing too crazy and should be stroller friendly the whole way. You can also go to water ranch in Gilbert which is a totally flat hard packed surface that runs around the riparian preserve, it’s very scenic.

Up North there is the Bajada nature trail at Gateway trailhead in Scottsdale, I’m not sure what the distance is there.

The Merkle trio at Usery in Mesa should work as well. They do some cool events for families at the county parks too, nighthiking with flashlights for one.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/a...orial-trail--2

If you haven’t been along the canal paths, town lake and the green belt those should all do the trick as well

Old 12-31-2017, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 50,419 times
Default Hiking for beginers

Try the White Tank Mountain Regional Park....Maricopa Co. The trail head has a county library and a nature center, which features most, if not all, creatures living in the AZ desert, most are live. Check their website as they have many educational programs available as well as some guided hikes.
I'd suggest the Waterfall Trail first. It features your preferences and is just a mile in and out with some benches for the adults too, and it ends where a waterfall exists when it has recently rained. Quite scenic and very beginner-friendly.
My out of state guests consider it to be VERY much a FUN hike!

https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/...vities/hiking/

Old 12-31-2017, 04:38 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,295 times
Fountain Park in Fountain Hills has a paved walkway that is approx 7000' long (a little over 1 mile). It is not exactly hiking, but it might be fun for little kids. Plus there is a playground, grassy areas, shops nearby and of course the fountain.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:55 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Dreamy Draw off of Northern has a paved path. The parking lot is pretty full on the weekends.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 PM

14 posts, read 27,565 times
I'll second the Bajada Nature Trail at the Gateway trailhead.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
I think there is one out at McDowell Mountain Park as well. You might want to do a search for handicapped accessible trails, that would certainly give you stroller friendly choices.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 AM

22 posts, read 23,055 times
Check out North Mountain (part of the Phoenix mountain preserve). The trail to the top is paved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area