Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:31 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Certain municipalities don't require permit for just electrical if done by a licensed and bonded contractor and the project meets other standard requirements. Mine happens to be real close to my breaker panel on my house so they just had to go about 6 feet to extend it to the building. They did have to dig an 18" deep trench to extend the line. It cost $1,300 for them to do all the electrical work on my studio shed, which included extending from the house, putting in about 6 outlets, lighting boxes, and installing two light fixtures.
You need a permit in Phoenix if you’re adding a circuit- there’s no exclusion for licensed contractors. You might not need load calcs & engineer’s drawings, but you do need a permit. I suspect you’re confusing “plan review “ with building permit.. permits are easy to get & not expensive & in my experience, the inspectors are quite easy to deal with. Personally, I’d want engineer- stamped drawings & a permit on file & closed (completed, with a certificate of occupancy attached) for peace-of-mind when selling. Without that info on file & available to future buyers, it’s just another unpermitted addition that adds no value & will likely kink financing/appraisal & inspection.

With a permit & COO, everyone shuts up & goes along.

Just my $.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:41 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I actually just installed one of those (very similar) in my backyard. Make sure it fits in with the HOA guidelines for design, also. You'll also need to make sure it fits within the City zoning guidelines and you get any permits needed.

I live in the City of Phoenix, so had to make sure it:
- was at least 3 feet from side and rear property line
- was not over 15 feet tall
- met floor area ratio requirements (i.e. both main house and shed and any other outbuildings floor area could not exceed 40% of the lot size for my zoning district)
- was 6 feet away from the primary structure (my house)
- conformed to within permit requirements, i.e. if it was over 200 square feet or had both electrical and plumbing to it I would have had to pull a permit for it. Mine was just under 200 sf and has electrical only, so no permit needed.
- conformed to use restrictions (i.e. no using it as an Airbnb or mercantile business or strip club)

I don't know what city you're in so if it's not Phoenix you will probably have an entirely different set of restrictions you'll have to abide by. They are all slightly different.
I would also add the the shed must be outside of any easements (public utility easement, drainage easement, etc).. It's always helpful to pay a visit to the planning counter at the City just to check on the placement.. Much better than having to tear it down at a later date because you didn't do your due diligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area