Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 3,145 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving back to Arizona and just posted a thread regarding Tucson. I really like Tucson, but concerns with the job market there, I am, also considering Phoenix or any of the surrounding cities. My background is with animals, conservation, animal welfare, museums and libraries. My career goals are to do something with wildlife, either conservation or behavior. I am, also, considering graduate school. Does anybody know of any job openings in the areas I mentioned? I have heard that the Phoenix area is doing pretty well in the job market. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Lara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 11:11 PM

274 posts, read 294,706 times
While I'm uncertain about how that career field's outlook is in the Phoenix area or the Tucson area, you may want to simply check around at the national parks and such.

In Tucson, I'm sure you've probably heard of the Sonoran Desert Museum and I'm not sure what we've got around the metro area. Perhaps start looking in places like that. Although, before you completely decide where you're going - think of some other states that may have more opportunities, too. Once again, I'm not sure what states those would be, but I can imagine there are plenty of opportunities out there somewhere.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Well both the Phoenix and Wildlife World zoo have expanded and may be good places to look. You also may want to try state and federal wildlife areas. If those don't pan out you may also want to check out PETCO or Pet Smart. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Sounds like you might also be a good fit with non-profits in those fields. There are quite a few here. Another good place to look for established non-profits in those fields would be in Santa Fe and Albuquerque NM, but the vibe in NM will be very different from AZ.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 AM

110 posts, read 119,209 times
I would honestly think the Phoenix area would be better in the long term, we have the Wildlife World Zoo, The Phoenix Zoo, Desert Botanical Gardens, Butter Fly Wonderland and the OdySea Aquarium are some of the first things that come to mind. There is a decent amount of non-profits that are around, but I am not really familiar with the job openings for these places. I couldn't give you any real specifics.

As far as grad school goes, U of A in Tucson is probably the best option for wildlife and conservation. Though ASU in Tempe is also pretty good. I have just heard that U of A is better. Not really sure though.

I think finding a place to stay in Tucson may be a bit easier, but if you plan to buy anything then Phoenix is a better bet because houses in Phoenix hold their value and often appreciate really well, I don't think you are going to get that as much in Tucson.

In a lot of ways I think your situation is sort of a toss up between the two. If you can't find a job in wildlife conservation in Phoenix than I think you could easily get a job doing something else. It would be a bit harder in Tucson to find something if a job in conservation fell through. But, I think in Tucson has more opportunity for the kind of thing you are looking for. (like I said I couldn't really say for certain, but that is what I have heard)

I hope that helps somewhat, I am not familiar with the sort of field you are interested in, sorry I couldn't be more of a help on that. If you have any more questions let me know though, I would be happy to help.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:26 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
Lara- Phoenix in general has a better job market than Tucson. Also, if u move back and do not land the exact postion u want getting a temp, contract or interim position in Phoenix will be easier- check idealist.org for non profit job listings and sign up to get ASU free newsletter which lists non profit jobs along with news and info about the non profit sector https://lodestar.asu.edu/content/asu...ofit-news-lcnn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area