Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:44 PM

38 posts, read 61,149 times

Advertisements

My husband is originally from Phoenix and I'm from Sacramento. We live with our three young children in Boise, and while we really enjoy the quality of life here, the lack of sun in the winter has been really hard on my seasonal affective disorder. The days are very short and dark, and my medication only helps so much. Also, while my husband currently works from home, it seems that future work opportunities in marketing are very limited here. How would life in Gilbert compare? Things most important to us are low crime, reasonable home prices, and a friendly culture. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:02 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,446,240 times
It's sort of an apples-and-oranges comparison because Boise is the main city in its metro area, and Gilbert is one of many suburbs of Phoenix.

It might be more meaningful to compare two metro areas: Phoenix vs. Boise

or two suburbs, for example: Meridian vs. Gilbert

Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Just curious, why did you hone in on Gilbert? Gilbert is just one of many suburbs of Phoenix. You wouldn’t ask for a comparison of Nampa and Phoenix, right? With the sunshine, you also get extreme heat. Are you prepared to make that trade off? Without knowing much other than your having SAD, I’d say you may enjoy Gilbert and much of Phoenix.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 01-30-2018 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 08:17 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
You will just have SAD in the summer instead of the winter from being confined by the heat and blistering sun during daylight hours.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
You can't compare Phoenix and Boise as they are totally different. I've lived in both and Boise still has a small town feel and Phoenix does not. Gilbert is very nice but is is a suburb of a HUGE metro area.

You're going to replace some dark winter days for scorching summers and traffic, people and gridlock that you don't have to deal with now.

If I had the ability I would live in Boise over Phoenix and it isn't even close.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:50 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
FWIW, the average residential property in Phoenix features no lawn, no shade trees, zero lot lines and six-foot concrete walls on three sides of the property.

In Boise, OTOH, the average residential property fashions a lawn, shade trees and low-rise wooden fences, if any at all, with moderate spacing between adjacent properties (at least by Southwestern standards). Oh, yeah -- and people in Boise rarely ever lock their doors.

IDK about you, but the latter seems like a much more conducive environment to raising a family with three young children.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:01 PM

38 posts, read 61,149 times
I chose Gilbert because of its size, but a better comparison would have been Meridian vs. Gilbert. I think you're all confirming my thoughts, though. The trade offs are not worth it, even though it gets pretty dreary in the winter here. That's really the worst of it. We enjoy everything else about Boise, and leaving for more sunshine does not seem worth it in this case. I'll just dream of a sunny winter and get a happy light. :-)

Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 PM

120 posts, read 166,512 times
I have lived most of my life in AZ in the East Valley in and or near Gilbert. I left for several years, worked in Boise but never lived there and recently returned to Arizona. In honesty I would take Boise over Gilbert. I know S.A.D is horrible but you are making the right choice.

I will say though if work is feasible I would say don't discount ALL of Arizona and look into other areas like Prescott, Flagstaff ect. Much milder climate, much greener, safe neighborhoods and tons of sunshine.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Boise has a cool little downtown but it’s tiny (great food at Fork). I would be bored and would feel isolated there. It feels a bit behind the times, although for some that’s a positive. I much prefer Phoenix.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:53 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,877 times
Why don't you come for a visit? That way you can get a feel for the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area