Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 PM

202 posts, read 220,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvia34 View Post
I wasn't implying all of Texas, but the San Antonio area. I'm sorry for putting that in there without being specific, there is a difference between crime, and 9 thousand reported thefts in one month type of crime. Also I lived near Baseline rd and it was a really nice area and I wanted to know if it was safe because I do have a family and I do know there are a lot of drugs in Phoenix, I know some areas my Mom used to frequent (she passed away this year and was a drug user), and just wanted to know if Baseline was still decent. I'm not overly paranoid, I just want my daughter to be in a safe neighborhood. I wasn't afforded such a luxury by my own parents when growing up.
Yes, I understand. I apologize for coming off so negatively. I see a lot of unnecessarily alarmist posting here, so I tend to get a bit irked when I sense something like that. Anyway, to answer your question, Ahwatukee area is still good for the most part. I think the main decline you’ll notice is that a lot of the housing has started to age in a bad way. It’s way too generic 90s and early 2000s style. I think that’s not really an issue for you. It’s a safe area. Kyrene isn’t considered as nice as Chandler Unified, but it’s still a good school district.

Baseline is a bit different. Up until a few years ago, many parts of Baseline were rough. They still are. Very old, cheap housing that has lead to the rise of low income neighborhoods that have higher than average crime compared to the rest of Phoenix. But things seem to be on the upswing. I have seen a lot of new development there. There are some good neighborhoods there.

If I were in your shoes I would stick to the Awatukhee area. I think it would be easier to raise kids there and have a good sense of security that you won’t get completely at the Baseline area.

It’s sad because if I didn’t have to consider crime and schools, I would pick the area right beside South Mountain over Awatukhee. It’s a shame that the old flower garden in that area is gone and was replaced by poorly aging slum like tract homes. It’s really beautiful being near the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 11:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
I've seen some Texas cities listed as "Best Places To Live", etc. I recall Sugar Land (Houston area), and these DFW cities: McKinney, Frisco, and others I can't remember. Big metros will always have safe and not so safe suburbs.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 AM

31 posts, read 35,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
Yes, I understand. I apologize for coming off so negatively. I see a lot of unnecessarily alarmist posting here, so I tend to get a bit irked when I sense something like that. Anyway, to answer your question, Ahwatukee area is still good for the most part. I think the main decline you’ll notice is that a lot of the housing has started to age in a bad way. It’s way too generic 90s and early 2000s style. I think that’s not really an issue for you. It’s a safe area. Kyrene isn’t considered as nice as Chandler Unified, but it’s still a good school district.

Baseline is a bit different. Up until a few years ago, many parts of Baseline were rough. They still are. Very old, cheap housing that has lead to the rise of low income neighborhoods that have higher than average crime compared to the rest of Phoenix. But things seem to be on the upswing. I have seen a lot of new development there. There are some good neighborhoods there.

If I were in your shoes I would stick to the Awatukhee area. I think it would be easier to raise kids there and have a good sense of security that you won’t get completely at the Baseline area.

It’s sad because if I didn’t have to consider crime and schools, I would pick the area right beside South Mountain over Awatukhee. It’s a shame that the old flower garden in that area is gone and was replaced by poorly aging slum like tract homes. It’s really beautiful being near the mountains.

Yes I agree that's what I remember from my childhood was being so close to the mountain, with Awhatukee right around the corner. I've got a few appointments to check out apartments in Awahtukee, as well as some in Chandler. I liked how high the school district was in those two places. When I was about 11 we moved to Paradise Valley but there aren't any rentals there from what I'm seeing on apartments.com, but hopefully if my husband enjoys the area we could get a house up that way next year. Here's to hoping

Old 03-27-2018, 02:25 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,370 times
Quote:
I grew up in Phoenix, near Baseline road, and wanted to relocate there with my family from Indiana this summer. Is the area near Baseline road still a good neighborhood to be in, as well as Ahwatukee? I haven't been there since I was 21, and I'll be 35 this year.

Thank you so much! Also, how are manufacturing/production jobs in Phoenix? My husband had wanted to move to Texas but with the high amount of crime there he is finally considering moving to where I want to be.

Thank you for any answers!
I work near Chandler and it is a great area with many jobs and a lot of young families moving into good affordable homes. I went to ASU back in the 90s and then left the state. I was in Colorado, Florida, and Texas. I finally returned last year. I had been back in Phoenix briefly in 2002 before taking off to Colorado then Florida.

Scottsdale is still the affluent side but very expensive for homes. The job market is booming in Phoenix.
It's very easy to get a job in engineering. The pay is great for the area. Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee
are considered ideal for affordability and quality at the moment.

Will it stay that way for decades? It's hard to tell. The Great Recession of the late 2000s really hurt a lot of neighborhoods in Phoenix. It seems to have recovered nicely though. I would recommend just go for it.

I was so euphoric in returning to Phoenix after all those years that I didn't even travel. When I returned
I had plans of going to Flagstaff, the Mogollin Rim, Four Corners, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, etc.
Instead, I did not go anywhere for almost a year. I was content with just being in Phoenix and hiking
Piestewa Peak on weekends.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 AM

31 posts, read 35,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I work near Chandler and it is a great area with many jobs and a lot of young families moving into good affordable homes. I went to ASU back in the 90s and then left the state. I was in Colorado, Florida, and Texas. I finally returned last year. I had been back in Phoenix briefly in 2002 before taking off to Colorado then Florida.

Scottsdale is still the affluent side but very expensive for homes. The job market is booming in Phoenix.
It's very easy to get a job in engineering. The pay is great for the area. Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee
are considered ideal for affordability and quality at the moment.

Will it stay that way for decades? It's hard to tell. The Great Recession of the late 2000s really hurt a lot of neighborhoods in Phoenix. It seems to have recovered nicely though. I would recommend just go for it.

I was so euphoric in returning to Phoenix after all those years that I didn't even travel. When I returned
I had plans of going to Flagstaff, the Mogollin Rim, Four Corners, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, etc.
Instead, I did not go anywhere for almost a year. I was content with just being in Phoenix and hiking
Piestewa Peak on weekends.

Yes we are just going to go for it, we are aiming for the middle of next month. He's got a few offers for employment, while I'll get a job when we get there. There are a few places I want to travel to when I drive through there, like Rawhide but I saw on their website that they aren't open to the public like they used to be. I have great memories of eating rattlesnake there, wanted to show my husband. And yes I was hoping to be around Ahwatukee and Chandler cause I love that mountain ridge.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:05 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Quote:
Yes I agree that's what I remember from my childhood was being so close to the mountain, with Awhatukee right around the corner. I've got a few appointments to check out apartments in Awahtukee, as well as some in Chandler. I liked how high the school district was in those two places. When I was about 11 we moved to Paradise Valley but there aren't any rentals there from what I'm seeing on apartments.com, but hopefully if my husband enjoys the area we could get a house up that way next year. Here's to hoping
There might not be rentals IN Paradise Valley city limits, but there are a ton of nice complexes and condo complexes on the outskirts (technically PHX). My niece lives in an apartment in that area and likes it. It's convenient and easy access to transit at PV Mall, if that's important to you or your kids. You may need to look at Realtor.com and use zip code 85032 to find the private rentals in the PV area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area