Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

I was completing a Google search this morning on the Copperleaf Community in South Phoenix and it brought me back a year ago when I was actively home shopping. I continued to see the negative posts surrounding the crime and violence that surrounded the area. I still made every effort to see the beautiful homes that were on the market in the Copperleaf community. I searched for houses in Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe and even Scottsdale only to be remember how amazing the houses in Copperleaf were (especially when comparing prices for newer homes and weighing the torturous commutes on AZ highways).

Now being a member of the Copperleaf community, I have to say how happy I am with the purchase. I do not see or feel the threats that are mentioned in posts from 6-8 years ago on this site. The area itself is continuing to bring in new, beautiful developments and businesses are starting to migrate to our area.

For anyone wondering about the area, take a look at what this community has to offer (coming from someone that actually lives in Copperleaf).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Yeah. I don't get around our metro much, but I recently drove through S. Phoenix on my way to the landfill. All of the new developments there blew me away!

Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
Is it by Southern and 24th?

Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
Mainly south phoenix is filled with working class Hispanic families. I'm down there all the time and never have problems. My friend lives on old southern off of 7th st. , which is supposed to be a bad area. Never any problems. Sure there are pockets and some gang activity but if you're not buying/selling drugs you'd never know it. It is full of brown people, which tends to scare the crap out of certain demographics. There are much worse areas in the metro in my opinion.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Mainly south phoenix is filled with working class Hispanic families. I'm down there all the time and never have problems. My friend lives on old southern off of 7th st. , which is supposed to be a bad area. Never any problems. Sure there are pockets and some gang activity but if you're not buying/selling drugs you'd never know it. It is full of brown people, which tends to scare the crap out of certain demographics. There are much worse areas in the metro in my opinion.
I'm curious to know which areas are "much worse" than 7th St and Southern? That area is pretty much an epicenter of drug/crime/gang activity in the Phoenix area along with Maryvale. You're doing a disservice to people not from this area reading the thread by saying "it's just scared whitey's" . That area is not desirable in the least, and the predominant skin color of the residents is not the reason.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM

189 posts, read 230,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytransplant03 View Post
I was completing a Google search this morning on the Copperleaf Community in South Phoenix and it brought me back a year ago when I was actively home shopping. I continued to see the negative posts surrounding the crime and violence that surrounded the area. I still made every effort to see the beautiful homes that were on the market in the Copperleaf community. I searched for houses in Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe and even Scottsdale only to be remember how amazing the houses in Copperleaf were (especially when comparing prices for newer homes and weighing the torturous commutes on AZ highways).

Now being a member of the Copperleaf community, I have to say how happy I am with the purchase. I do not see or feel the threats that are mentioned in posts from 6-8 years ago on this site. The area itself is continuing to bring in new, beautiful developments and businesses are starting to migrate to our area.

For anyone wondering about the area, take a look at what this community has to offer (coming from someone that actually lives in Copperleaf).
I'm right there with ya. Bought in '09 at very cheap price and loved that community. Sure you would see the occasional crackhead ride his bicycle through the neighborhood but I never felt in danger or unsafe. The area is getting better YoY and there is a massive housing development going on now across the street from the ghetto Circle K. I bought/live in downtown now but still have that home as an investment and the price of the home is almost at pre-recession levels. love it!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm curious to know which areas are "much worse" than 7th St and Southern? That area is pretty much an epicenter of drug/crime/gang activity in the Phoenix area along with Maryvale. You're doing a disservice to people not from this area reading the thread by saying "it's just scared whitey's" . That area is not desirable in the least, and the predominant skin color of the residents is not the reason.
The "disservice" that you speak of is people not aware of the facts. Fact- the highest crime rate in the entire valley is neither south phoenix nor is it maryvale. The most dangerous part of the entire city is in fact the I17 corridor. According to police statistics, crime rates have plummeted in both south Phoenix and Maryvale over the past decade. And being a white male myself, I'm not exactly sure that what I said equates to "it's just scared whiteys", but hey what do I know? I'm sure you're in south Phoenix as much if not more than me and know exactly how things are there.

When exactly was the last time you were at 7th and southern? I was there drinking beer on the porch last night AND I SURVIVED! lol

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
The "disservice" that you speak of is people not aware of the facts. Fact- the highest crime rate in the entire valley is neither south phoenix nor is it maryvale. The most dangerous part of the entire city is in fact the I17 corridor. According to police statistics, crime rates have plummeted in both south Phoenix and Maryvale over the past decade. And being a white male myself, I'm not exactly sure that what I said equates to "it's just scared whiteys", but hey what do I know? I'm sure you're in south Phoenix as much if not more than me and know exactly how things are there.

When exactly was the last time you were at 7th and southern? I was there drinking beer on the porch last night AND I SURVIVED! lol
I'm in the ghetto very often, and I've survived every time. I've been in some dicey vacant prospective investment properties in the area, but I'm also armed. I wouldn't want my wife walking a mile and a half in the area at 9:00 at night, like she does now in our neighborhood.

No one said you can't drink beer in the ghetto and not get killed. The fact is, if most police or knowledgeable residents were asked to list the top 5 most dangerous parts of the valley, MOST would put South Phoenix in the Top 3 along with Maryvale and the I-17/Indian School area. South Phoenix does get better as you move South towards Baseline Rd and South of Baseline, but around Southern/Roeser and 7th St it is bad.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:40 PM

408 posts, read 581,020 times
To be honest 24th&Southern is more de-isolate than it is ghetto anymore. Maybe in 06' it was still holding on to that reputation, but there has been so much spillover development from Baseline pushing towards Southern in the undeveloped parts of the Southside. South Phoenix has been getting better since late 2010. I remember the issues of the community from the 90s and I have seen a vast improvement. Most of the bad parts are now along Broadway east of 16th St between 40th St. Its funny because there are some hella seedy parts of Tempe, Glendale and Mesa that can be just as problematic these days.

Just Like KytoAZ stated earlier, the worst parts of the city is up and down I-17 from McDowell all the way to Dunlap. The old "westside city" neighborhood, which is basically the I-17 south of Buckeye west to 27th Ave East to 7th Ave is also hood and run-down. The open air drug market is fierce anywhere in this area and near VB Downtown. I thought this was common knowledge amongst Phoenicians since 2010

Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
To be honest 24th&Southern is more de-isolate than it is ghetto anymore. Maybe in 06' it was still holding on to that reputation, but there has been so much spillover development from Baseline pushing towards Southern in the undeveloped parts of the Southside. South Phoenix has been getting better since late 2010. I remember the issues of the community from the 90s and I have seen a vast improvement. Most of the bad parts are now along Broadway east of 16th St between 40th St. Its funny because there are some hella seedy parts of Tempe, Glendale and Mesa that can be just as problematic these days.

Just Like KytoAZ stated earlier, the worst parts of the city is up and down I-17 from McDowell all the way to Dunlap. The old "westside city" neighborhood, which is basically the I-17 south of Buckeye west to 27th Ave East to 7th Ave is also hood and run-down. The open air drug market is fierce anywhere in this area and near VB Downtown. I thought this was common knowledge amongst Phoenicians since 2010
A good chunk of the east side from Washington to Oak between 20th St and 48th St is very bad as well. Notable bad parts being 32nd St and Palm Ln and 48th St between Roosevelt and McDowell. Both areas give me the creeps at night, and have heard gunshots in both blocks on several occasions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area