Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 17,598 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, i been around the forums for a little while reading and everyone seems to be pretty helpful, so i figure i would take a chance. I live in upstate, NY and my youngest son just graduated HS. I am ready for a change, ive been a single mom for many years and raised my 3 children alone. Ive decided to go west to get away from all the snow & cold weather, I have been diagnosedwith Fibro & Lupus so i can no longer deal with hit

I wanted to move to Vegas, I was thinking Henderson or Summerlin, i really like an all inclusively place that opened there and there have been some job opportunities that have come my way. the problem is that my youngest that graduated HS, doesnt want to move to Vegas. The other place that i've been looking at is Arizona, i done my research and ive been looking at Gilbert, Chandler & Scottsdale (maybe Phoenix). Right now i am do to come into Chandler for an interview in about 2 weeks & im waiting also for something in Scottsdale and yes my son would move to Arizona. My oldest son is looking for out of state jobs, either in accounting or police recruit. My middle one my daughter wants to stay in NY and has moved in with her best friend, so i don't have to worry about her, but there's no room for my youngest to stay.

My question to everyone is can anyone suggest good places to rent that have all inclusive apartments? what part of the places I mentioned would be good places to look into. I'm looking for friendly places, & colleges.

I work as Admin Assistant, but i've also applied as dispatcher and most anything that has to do with office work. Which Airport would be best to come into for Chandler, would be easy to go to scottsdale from chandler?

Would a 18 yr enjoy living in AZ? I like dancing, music, movies, walks, taking in the culture, some latin dancing, taking classes. Im single so i would like to meet new people, not necessary for dating but, ill be new in a new place so i want to be able to do things where i can enjoy and not feel like an out cast. Also and this is important, every apartment i've seen on zillow or apartment.com is electric, I like cooking with gas, are there any apartments have gas? Is it easy to get around? busing? cabs? I do plan to bring a car, hopefully. Im not sure what else to ask, so if you have any advice feel free. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 04:52 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
I would head over to the Phoenix forum, and you will see most of the things you have asked have multiple threads started that discuss most of the things you have asked about

and, remember, most of the things you have asked are subjective questions, and therefor you will get a wide range of opinions on most of the questions you have asked.

good luck

Mod note: thread moved to Phoenix. Good advice ^

Last edited by toosie; 07-06-2018 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Well, first I want to congratulate you for having the courage to make such a move. Having work would make the move a bit easier so good luck with the interview. I will try to answer a few of your questions. The best airport to fly into is Sky Harbor in Phoenix, the largest one in the area. There are smaller airports in the area, but the majority of flights come through Phoenix.

The cities you mentioned are all nice places, Scottsdale would probably be the most expensive but I think Gilbert is the fastest growing. You will definitely need a car to get around. There are other options (bus, light rail depending on where you live) but western cities were built for the automobile snd are spread out. As for whether an 18-year-old would enjoy living here? Not sure? That is totally subjective. We have lots of community colleges and three main colleges in the state: ASU, UofA and NAU. Grand Canyon University is another popular school you may want to look into.

As for meeting people I suggest getting involved with an interest group (hiking, single parents, etc.) many people use sites like meetup.com as well.

Traveling to Scottsdale from Chandler will take you about 25-30 minutes, depending on traffic. Most apartments will most likely be electric but there are some that use gas.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Well, first I want to congratulate you for having the courage to make such a move. Having work would make the move a bit easier so good luck with the interview. I will try to answer a few of your questions. The best airport to fly into is Sky Harbor in Phoenix, the largest one in the area. There are smaller airports in the area, but the majority of flights come through Phoenix.

The cities you mentioned are all nice places, Scottsdale would probably be the most expensive but I think Gilbert is the fastest growing. You will definitely need a car to get around. There are other options (bus, light rail depending on where you live) but western cities were built for the automobile snd are spread out. As for whether an 18-year-old would enjoy living here? Not sure? That is totally subjective. We have lots of community colleges and three main colleges in the state: ASU, UofA and NAU. Grand Canyon University is another popular school you may want to look into.

As for meeting people I suggest getting involved with an interest group (hiking, single parents, etc.) many people use sites like meetup.com as well.

Traveling to Scottsdale from Chandler will take you about 25-30 minutes, depending on traffic. Most apartments will most likely be electric but there are some that use gas.
thank you replying and will look into those colleges and suggestions.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
18 Year old probably will like it. I moved out here when younger (though not that young) and really liked it, but it depends on each person. Tempe around ASU / Scottsdale are fun areas for younger people to hang out at. Having their own car is key I think though to get around. Tempe there is public transport that is OK but you really need your own ride. Getting around on a bus when it is 110 out sometimes is no fun.

In choosing which spot to live I'd try to balance three things.

1) Living fairly close to where you work. Commuting on many area freeways SUUUCCCKSS in the morning.
2) Keep an eye on crime. Neighboorhood Scount dot com and googling city crime maps is a good way to check on crime. The Phoenix metro area is kind of a crazy mix of really good areas next to bad ones, and not knowing the area real well might land you in a high crime area without you realizing it until after a lease is signed.
3) Live near stuff for your 18 year old to do, namely ASU or City Colleges. The most active areas for younger people (at least when I was there) were around Scottsdale and the ASU/Tempe/Mill ave area. But in other areas there are things to do.

Other advice, I'd try to stick to a year lease or six month lease if you can swing it, so you can setup a base and then explore to find out where you really want to live.

As to all inclusive apartments, shouldn't be a problem to find, except maybe a gas stove. More uncommon in apartments out here.

Oh, and although Mesa has some cool unique stuff that I love, I'd stay out of Mesa. Boring.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by infocyde; 07-06-2018 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 08:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Mesa may be boring, but rents are reasonable here.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes05 View Post
Hi everyone, i been around the forums for a little while reading and everyone seems to be pretty helpful, so i figure i would take a chance. I live in upstate, NY and my youngest son just graduated HS. I am ready for a change, ive been a single mom for many years and raised my 3 children alone. Ive decided to go west to get away from all the snow & cold weather, I have been diagnosedwith Fibro & Lupus so i can no longer deal with hit

I wanted to move to Vegas, I was thinking Henderson or Summerlin, i really like an all inclusively place that opened there and there have been some job opportunities that have come my way. the problem is that my youngest that graduated HS, doesnt want to move to Vegas. The other place that i've been looking at is Arizona, i done my research and ive been looking at Gilbert, Chandler & Scottsdale (maybe Phoenix). Right now i am do to come into Chandler for an interview in about 2 weeks & im waiting also for something in Scottsdale and yes my son would move to Arizona. My oldest son is looking for out of state jobs, either in accounting or police recruit. My middle one my daughter wants to stay in NY and has moved in with her best friend, so i don't have to worry about her, but there's no room for my youngest to stay.

My question to everyone is can anyone suggest good places to rent that have all inclusive apartments? what part of the places I mentioned would be good places to look into. I'm looking for friendly places, & colleges.

I work as Admin Assistant, but i've also applied as dispatcher and most anything that has to do with office work. Which Airport would be best to come into for Chandler, would be easy to go to scottsdale from chandler?

Would a 18 yr enjoy living in AZ? I like dancing, music, movies, walks, taking in the culture, some latin dancing, taking classes. Im single so i would like to meet new people, not necessary for dating but, ill be new in a new place so i want to be able to do things where i can enjoy and not feel like an out cast. Also and this is important, every apartment i've seen on zillow or apartment.com is electric, I like cooking with gas, are there any apartments have gas? Is it easy to get around? busing? cabs? I do plan to bring a car, hopefully. Im not sure what else to ask, so if you have any advice feel free. Thank you
Hi BrightEyes --

I wanted to say "Welcome" to the Phoenix forum. I hope your job hunt and subsequent apartment hunt go well for you. Like most of the previous posters have mentioned, the Phoenix metro area is huge and it is best that you find a job first and then find an apartment.

All the towns here run into each other with only a street separating one from another. As others have mentioned, the zoning can be spotty here, with poor areas next to nice ones. If you find a nice looking apartment complex and the prices seem lower than others you like, there is almost always a reason. Most of the apartment complexes are corporate owned and they carefully research competitors' prices. Yes there are a few "Ma & Pa" apartment buildings here, but not too many. It is advisable to rent an apartment with an assigned covered parking space, due to the extreme heat.

You mentioned you wish to find an apartment that is "inclusive". I am not sure exactly what you mean. If you are referring to all appliances being included, this is usually the case, but sometimes washer/dryer hook-ups are provided, but not the appliances. You would then have to either buy or rent your own w/d, or use the laundry room at the complex, or a neighborhood laundromat. If you are talking about all the utilities being included in the rental price, yes there are some apartments like that, but I would guess-ti-mate only 20% or less of apartments are leased that way. The vast majority require you to pay for your own electricity and some also require you pay for water and/or gas. There are some around though -- you need to find them.

Good luck with your job search. There are a number of companies that have "back office" operations here, and you may have better luck finding employment at places like this. Your son, too.

I hope some of this information helps you a little bit. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Many of the older apartments in older parts of town (any town) are the best bets for utilities included. Be aware that if the electric is included, you'll have either a chiller A/C system or a swamp cooler A/C. If you want regular central A/C, you'll be paying for the electricity (there might be a few exceptions but I didn't find any last fall when I was apartment hunting). The only apartments I found that did NOT include major kitchen appliances (stove, oven, refrigerator) were individual units owned by private landlords and even then there weren't that many without major appliances included. All the complexes I looked at also supplied the dishwasher and most included a microwave. Many came with covered parking, and about 2/3 of the ones I looked at included the washer/dryer in the rent too. And I wasn't even looking at the high end Mark Taylor type places, just older, well kept up complexes.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Hey Brighteyes, I don't have a lot of experience with apt complexes etc, but I wanted to applaud your courage to give a move cross country a try. I did the same thing when I was a young man.

I'm curious why your youngest says no to Las Vegas? Phoenix shares a lot of attributes with Las Vegas (hot, dry, new cities, similar architecture, transient, etc) but our economy base is way different from Las Vegas. I'd ask him what about LV he specifically dislikes. Nevertheless, the Phx area is slightly less expensive than LV and prettier IMO.

Keep us posted.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:46 AM

thanks everyone, well the time has come for my interview, hoping all goes well. As for as my son, for some reason he thinks there is nothing to do in Las Vegas, he says its just a "desert" lol. I told him there is lots to do, and explore, but he feels there isnt its just gambling. As far as Arizona, he knows there's good colleges there, so he's okay with moving to AZ.

I have narrowed the places I'm looking into to be Chandler/Gilbert & Scottsdale. does anyone know good/safe places to look for apartments to look for in those areas, or i should ask which areas within are good places to look for places to live?

Thank you, all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area