Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I think it's an excellent political ad and I wish there were more like it. No attacks. He's simply stating what he feels are his accomplishments and his intentions to continue his work in similar ways.

We used to see ads like this all the time. Now all we see are hit pieces produced by outside groups that don't say anything about the candidate they are supporting by attacking the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
There's always one side to the story with political videos only painting pictures with rose-colored glasses.

I've only lived in AZ for 2 years so I don't know much about Phoenix. What was the area like during the 1990s and early 2000s before Greg Stanton was mayor and all the revitalization of downtown? Did it look like Detroit and most rustbelt cities, or was it similar to Denver during the 70s/80s when it had more grit and abandoned warehouses?

It certainly wasn't Detroit. I don't know what Denver looked like in 70's and 80's, but that's probably closer. All that said, Stanton doesn't get the credit for revitalizing downtown Phoenix. More people think of Jerry Colangelo when they talk about how that started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Colangelo may have helped get it started, but Gordon and Stanton were mayors when things really began to take off. ASU coming downtown, city scape, and the light rail were really what gave it the momentum to turn around the way it has.

IMO ASU coming downtown was the single greatest idea anybody ever had to turn it around.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:50 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
He wasn’t a bad mayor he was just a placeholder, he allowed for several major offices to locate in Tempe, Scottsdale and chandler rather than win with that development downtown.

He was never an advocate for downtown and intended to be as inoffensive and forgettable as possible
Seems to me there are additional duties to being mayor other than catering to downtown interests.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:21 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Stanton was always a placeholder he never intended to be mayor other than to get to national office.
First time I've heard that one. Have you known this all along or did you just recently conclude it?

Old 10-05-2018, 01:56 PM

277 posts, read 276,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
First time I've heard that one. Have you known this all along or did you just recently conclude it?
No it’s been my opinion pretty much since he began

Old 10-05-2018, 02:13 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Stanton has cultured a national profile, so it is no surprise. I don't see what the big deal is though. Most politicians have risen through the ranks picking up experience and support along the way. Who knows? I suspect we will watch him go to the Senate (or try) fairly soon (McCain's seat?) Heck, he may even run for prez some day.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:09 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
If anything he's showing that he represents his district's interests as mayor and will in Congress. What else should he be doing?
I'd like to know what he will do as a Congressman, such as: where does he stand on federal taxation & spending, balancing the budget, illegal immigration, the border wall, terrorism, Obamacare, marijuana, sex trafficking laws, etc. He can boast all he wants about revitalizing downtown Phoenix, but that has little or nothing to do with what kind of national representative he'd be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I've only lived in AZ for 2 years so I don't know much about Phoenix. What was the area like during the 1990s and early 2000s before Greg Stanton was mayor and all the revitalization of downtown? Did it look like Detroit and most rustbelt cities, or was it similar to Denver during the 70s/80s when it had more grit and abandoned warehouses?
Neither one really. I'd say more like Fort Worth or perhaps San Antonio: a few highrises, and somewhat busy during the weekdays, but mostly dead on the street level after sunset and not much to do otherwise. It has improved a lot since then, except the skyline hasn't grown any taller, and there still aren't a great deal of national/global HQs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
All that said, Stanton doesn't get the credit for revitalizing downtown Phoenix. More people think of Jerry Colangelo when they talk about how that started.
Good point. Colangelo played a major part in downtown revitalization, especially on the sports & entertainment side. Too bad he was met with so much resistance back then (damn NIMBYs).

Old 10-05-2018, 09:30 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Flights from Asia (half the world's population) to PHX=ZERO. Technology manufacturing:. who needs it.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM

202 posts, read 220,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Flights from Asia (half the world's population) to PHX=ZERO. Technology manufacturing:. who needs it.
Phoenix missed the boat, but honestly, companies will only move their back offices and satellite campuses here. Most of them will stay put in California or Pacific Northwest. Part of the appeal of working for tech and big companies for young people is being able to work in a large developed city, which Phoenix can't offer.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:37 AM

42 posts, read 48,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
Phoenix missed the boat, but honestly, companies will only move their back offices and satellite campuses here. Most of them will stay put in California or Pacific Northwest. Part of the appeal of working for tech and big companies for young people is being able to work in a large developed city, which Phoenix can't offer.
Thats not really how aything works, and Ive been to a lot of places Phoenix is not as much of a backwater as people imagine it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area