Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,412 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home on an irrigated acre+ in the Gilbert or Township of Queen Creek area.
Specifically, Gilbert areas south of the 202 in the Roosevelt Water Conservation District including Greenfield Rd area (Freeman Farms, Greenfield Acres, Greenfield Glen, etc). In Queen Creek, northern areas including the Rancho Jardines area.

I am wondering if flood irrigation will survive potential mandatory water restrictions which may be started within the next 2 years due to the 19 year drought on the Colorado river (Mead and Powell). The sources of irrigation water appear to vary... CAP water, Indian agreements for the Salt River and Verde River, reclaimed water, wells pumping replenished groundwater, etc. The water rights for different water companies and Arizona in general appear complex... especially in potential drought and rationing situations. I am also concerned with reduced use of irrigation due to reduced farming and the expansion of master planned developments building out small lots. Fewer customers to support canal maintenance and towns less willing to support/subsidize irrigation expenses. I'm wondering which water companies are reliable and more likely to continue operations without dramatic cost increases.

I am concerned about purchasing a property with mature trees and lawn and then having flood irrigation discontinued or rates for potable water increased dramatically. I've lived in north Scottsdale for 25 years... up by Pinnacle Peak and Troon mountain with mostly desert landscaping so flood irrigation is new to me.

I'd really appreciate any feedback...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 07:11 AM

200 posts, read 413,163 times
Great question....I don't know, but I live in qc and have built and lived in 4 homes in basically the same neighborhood since 2000. Circle G . All of these are about an acre and have the ability to use irrigation.
I used it on the first 3 and the one I'm in now, I only have a small are of grass, so I use sprinklers. The cost of irrigation wasn't expensive and in qc , an employee would open and close the gates for you. I have a friend who lives on higley and pecos, and the homeowners are responsible for the opening and closing of their water. So if "your" water is coming at 3am for an hour , you need to make sure you can be there to get it. If that makes sense.
You have brought up some good questions, and it will be interesting to read other's replies.
What about contacting Rancho Jardines irrigation district and asking their thoughts? Not sure if they would even know.....

Old 10-11-2018, 07:24 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
The cuts are to CAP so I’d look for lots with rights to SRP. SRP is not being cut back and if you’re in their boundaries you actually have a right to the water.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The cuts are to CAP so I’d look for lots with rights to SRP. SRP is not being cut back and if you’re in their boundaries you actually have a right to the water.
SRP is in worse shape than the Colorado right now with respect to storage. However, when SRP cuts back on surface sources the pumps turn on - same with CAP. Irrigated lots will get their water. Anyway, no one has any idea what the water situation will be in two years, ten years or beyond. It's all media hype. If the weather pattern we are seeing now continues through the winter, we will be in good shape for years. If we get another one like last year, we will still be fine, but a little concerned.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 PM

42 posts, read 48,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jratt50 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a home on an irrigated acre+ in the Gilbert or Township of Queen Creek area.
Specifically, Gilbert areas south of the 202 in the Roosevelt Water Conservation District including Greenfield Rd area (Freeman Farms, Greenfield Acres, Greenfield Glen, etc). In Queen Creek, northern areas including the Rancho Jardines area.

I am wondering if flood irrigation will survive potential mandatory water restrictions which may be started within the next 2 years due to the 19 year drought on the Colorado river (Mead and Powell). The sources of irrigation water appear to vary... CAP water, Indian agreements for the Salt River and Verde River, reclaimed water, wells pumping replenished groundwater, etc. The water rights for different water companies and Arizona in general appear complex... especially in potential drought and rationing situations. I am also concerned with reduced use of irrigation due to reduced farming and the expansion of master planned developments building out small lots. Fewer customers to support canal maintenance and towns less willing to support/subsidize irrigation expenses. I'm wondering which water companies are reliable and more likely to continue operations without dramatic cost increases.

I am concerned about purchasing a property with mature trees and lawn and then having flood irrigation discontinued or rates for potable water increased dramatically. I've lived in north Scottsdale for 25 years... up by Pinnacle Peak and Troon mountain with mostly desert landscaping so flood irrigation is new to me.

I'd really appreciate any feedback...
There is no indication there is going to be any sort of water restrictions at all, If you have seen otherwise please link it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area