Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 4,470 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are relocating from CA and trying to get a better understanding of cost for utilities. Any idea of what the monthly costs would be for utilities? We are looking at a 3500 sq foot house with pool. Thank you! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Try this thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...tric-bill.html

Old 04-02-2019, 10:55 AM

52 posts, read 39,343 times
The rates are far better than California (CA now sells us solar electricity at a loss during the day...ironic... thanks to that Solar power billionaire who snuckered Californians into mandating solar with environmental feel good propaganda). I used to live in CA, and still have family there. Costs in AZ are pretty reasonable, if you don't try to chill your house like a fridge and use common sense.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
There are a lot of variables at work in electrical cost. Insulation/airtightness of the home, orientation (north/south or east/west), location/quality of windows, amount of shade on windows, ceiling fans, and perhaps the biggest one, personal comfort requirements.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 9,966 times
Oh... I have a question related to this for everyone: at what outside temperature do you guys usually start turning on the air con?

Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 PM

346 posts, read 549,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaburger View Post
Oh... I have a question related to this for everyone: at what outside temperature do you guys usually start turning on the air con?
It doesn't really depend on the outside temperature but the inside temperature with us; if the nights and mornings are still cool (like they are this month even when it gets to be in the 90's during the day) we can survive by keeping the patio door and windows open to cool off the house and then close things up and turn on fans when the heat starts to rise. (We have a newer, energy efficient house which helps.)

Usually our air conditioner gets turned on sometime in May when those nights and morning temperatures start to rise and 100 degree days are common (then it's turned off again in October).

Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blg1234 View Post
Hi! We are relocating from CA and trying to get a better understanding of cost for utilities. Any idea of what the monthly costs would be for utilities? We are looking at a 3500 sq foot house with pool. Thank you! :-)
We're in a 4100 sq. ft. house with a pool, and the summer bills here have been $500ish for electric.

If your pool has a single-speed pump, replacing it with a variable speed will cost around $1500 but save about $60 a month, from what I'm told.

Also... how old are your AC units? Older units can get expensive, both from being not as efficient and just being... old. New units are much cheaper to run. I know mine are old and not doing well... I think I could save a couple hundred a month or so during the summer, but it would take ten years or more of savings to pay for that, easy.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:14 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaburger View Post
I go by the temp inside the house. The warmest it has been inside is 78 which is comfortable enough with a fan. I turn it on when I get hot just as I turn on the heat in the winter when I get cold.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:25 PM

743 posts, read 876,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This. If you search in the phoenix forum you'll come up with all the answers to your questions about living here.

#1 It's hot.
#2 Summer is extremely hot
#3 No you can't open up your window at night for a cool breeze. It never cools off.
#4 Please change your license plate right away so we don't blame your bad driving on the entire state of CA.

(#4 is a joke...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area