Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM

61 posts, read 48,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
If you had said San Diego I'd maybe agree with you, but the PNW is disgustingly grey and gloomy year round, you can have it. Most people need more sunshine in their lives if they have a choice. I do agree the Summer temps prevent the Phoenix are from being the perfect place however.
Yeah too bad it's too hot in Phoenix to get sunlight and Vitamin D, even in the winter the Sun is more intense than anywhere else, sucks. I've been here for 4 years now and ready to go next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
Yeah too bad it's too hot in Phoenix to get sunlight and Vitamin D, even in the winter the Sun is more intense than anywhere else, sucks. I've been here for 4 years now and ready to go next year.
I suppose if one is a wimp they can't handle being outside here in the Winter, but I've never had any problems. My little kids have been playing sports year round since they were 3-4 and they seem to do OK as well. Enjoy wherever it is you are going next year.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I suppose if one is a wimp they can't handle being outside here in the Winter, but I've never had any problems. My little kids have been playing sports year round since they were 3-4 and they seem to do OK as well. Enjoy wherever it is you are going next year.
It has nothing to do with being a wimp. I'm out hiking in the mountains in Northern AZ, Eastern AZ and on Mount Lemmon for most of the winter. It sucks in Phoenix, I just prefer a colder climate and yes the sun is more intense here so I don't bother going hiking in the middle of the day in Phoenix.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with being a wimp. I'm out hiking in the mountains in Northern AZ, Eastern AZ and on Mount Lemmon for most of the winter. It sucks in Phoenix, I just prefer a colder climate and yes the sun is more intense here so I don't bother going hiking in the middle of the day in Phoenix.

This I'm fine with, before you said "Yeah too bad it's too hot in Phoenix to get sunlight and Vitamin D", which is of course incorrect. It has been beautiful here from October 1 through the beginning of June, that's 8 months with only a few bad weather days sprinkled in. Most people, as we have seen from trends, do NOT "prefer a colder climate". I'm sure you could admit if someone prefers a colder climate it would be silly to move to Phoenix in the first place.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
The generation that ruined this country? No, I am fine where I live now.
Log off now and take a hammer to your computer.

"That generation" invented most of the electronic tools you use.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Yeah, I moved here when company opened an office here, I moved because of the hiking/nature opportunities and that I'm still enjoying. I just feel that the sun is more intense here even in Winter, just feels like it burns a lot more compared to Texas.

But yes we had a fantastic winter/spring here so it's hard to knock the heat right now. I would probably invest in buying a home here if I knew it wasn't going to get worse. All this urban sprawl is extending the urban heat island affect and is only going to get worse as time goes on and doesn't seem like Phoenix is doing anything innovative to negate the effects.

I'm not knocking Phoenix as I actually do like it here other than the intense burning feeling of the sun and the insane temperatures in Summer. Then there is the pollution thing, daily the AQI is over 100, that's bad anyway you look at it, again will only get worse. Sucks to be honest as I don't want to go back to Texas either and a lot of other places decent are so expensive.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Yeah, I moved here when company opened an office here, I moved because of the hiking/nature opportunities and that I'm still enjoying. I just feel that the sun is more intense here even in Winter, just feels like it burns a lot more compared to Texas.

But yes we had a fantastic winter/spring here so it's hard to knock the heat right now. I would probably invest in buying a home here if I knew it wasn't going to get worse. All this urban sprawl is extending the urban heat island affect and is only going to get worse as time goes on and doesn't seem like Phoenix is doing anything innovative to negate the effects.

I'm not knocking Phoenix as I actually do like it here other than the intense burning feeling of the sun and the insane temperatures in Summer. Then there is the pollution thing, daily the AQI is over 100, that's bad anyway you look at it, again will only get worse. Sucks to be honest as I don't want to go back to Texas either and a lot of other places decent are so expensive.

I can't agree with that, I just returned from Austin and went there thinking maybe it'd be a bit cooler but that wasn't the case, the sun felt very strong there, I actually checked the UV index and compared it to Phoenix. Indeed, it is nearly identical.

You can confirm here, both cities will be at at 10UV and higher for 4 hours today, Austin is 11-3 and Phoenix is 10-2 and they will both top out around 11UV for the day.

https://uv.willyweather.com/tx/travi...ty/austin.html
https://uv.willyweather.com/az/maric...y/phoenix.html

Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
This I'm fine with, before you said "Yeah too bad it's too hot in Phoenix to get sunlight and Vitamin D", which is of course incorrect. It has been beautiful here from October 1 through the beginning of June, that's 8 months with only a few bad weather days sprinkled in. Most people, as we have seen from trends, do NOT "prefer a colder climate". I'm sure you could admit if someone prefers a colder climate it would be silly to move to Phoenix in the first place.

Yeah, exactly, if you like warm weather Phoenix is a pretty nice place to live, I have some family that for some reason say they can't deal with anything over 85, but when I go to where they live in the summer 80 feels really awful, I still have absolutely no desire to be outside hiking mid-day even if there is shade on the trail from clouds or trees, it feels like crap.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
McClintock and McKellips.
Duh. Rural and McKellips as someone has subsequently note.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, exactly, if you like warm weather Phoenix is a pretty nice place to live, I have some family that for some reason say they can't deal with anything over 85, but when I go to where they live in the summer 80 feels really awful, I still have absolutely no desire to be outside hiking mid-day even if there is shade on the trail from clouds or trees, it feels like crap.
I got here in 81 in my late 20's and loved the absence of Wisconsin winters, that I grew up with. The heat never bothered me. After I retired in my 50's the heat became harder to deal with, but I just adapted. For me the heat is my trade off for not having to experience -20F and driving is snow ever again. My brother still lives in Wisconsin and you couldn't pay him to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area