Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 8,949 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has recommendations on mobile home parks in the Phoenix and surrounding areas. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to the Phoenix area next year, we're both in our late 20s and looking to purchase a mobile home that is not in an age restricted community. I'm having a hard time finding options that are not for those 55+. Thanks so much to anyone who is able to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 AM

994 posts, read 975,194 times
I'd also like to know, but more in a spread out community and not a typical row of trailers.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,291,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpink01 View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has recommendations on mobile home parks in the Phoenix and surrounding areas. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to the Phoenix area next year, we're both in our late 20s and looking to purchase a mobile home that is not in an age restricted community. I'm having a hard time finding options that are not for those 55+. Thanks so much to anyone who is able to help.
I would say you are in a minority. Most mobile home parks are age restricted. Most of your demographic goes the apartment route. Can I ask why you are interested in a mobile home as opposed to an apartment or rental home?

Old 10-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I would say you are in a minority. Most mobile home parks are age restricted. Most of your demographic goes the apartment route. Can I ask why you are interested in a mobile home as opposed to an apartment or rental home?

We're not as interested in renting an apartment or a house as we would want our money to go towards owning the property down the road. We were mainly curious about mobile homes because they tend to be cheaper than buying a house which our max budget would be around $200,000 but it seems like the housing market has gone up substantially. We're just trying to find the cheapest route in moving to this area but aren't willing to sacrifice safety over price. I just didn't know if there were any mobile or manufactured parks that fit the criteria for those under 55 years old that have a good reputation. We don't have any kids, so nearby schools are not important to us.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 74,410 times
Thinkpink, I don’t know a lot about this, but is it typical to own the land under your mobile home? If not then all you have a is a depriciating asset. It might make much more sense to buy a fee simple single family home that is in your price range. You can find some under 200k for sure. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2345 View Post
Thinkpink, I don’t know a lot about this, but is it typical to own the land under your mobile home? If not then all you have a is a depriciating asset. It might make much more sense to buy a fee simple single family home that is in your price range. You can find some under 200k for sure. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. Do you know what areas I should look into that might have single family homes for under 200k?

Old 10-28-2019, 07:57 PM

81 posts, read 74,410 times
Hi thinkpink,
I did a search in Zillow for under $200k and found tons of ok looking things. South mountain north moutain laveen dear valley or if you’re willing to consider townhouses even Tempe Camelback east and paradise valley. If you’re willing to drive San tan valley surprise Glendale. Just stay away from Maryvale. I actually like Laveen. I have lots of friends there. You can’t buy a house in Scottsdale but you can buy a house in other parts of the valley and in ten years you’ll be really glad you did versus trailer. JMO. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:47 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
You’d be better off renting until you can afford a single family house. A mobile home isn’t going to provide much, if any, appreciation. You won’t be in a much different position by renting a nicer place that’s not in a trailer park.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:04 PM

39,124 posts, read 51,371,476 times
The Phoenix metro is just not big on mobiles though given the weather, you might expect otherwise. The parks where younger people would be allowed are pretty much trash in my experience. As others have said, even a cheap site built house in a lower income area is going to appreciate unlike a mobile. If you have the down payment, that is the way to go. I'd recommend Avondale to look at. It's not country club life but its not too bad either. Apartments are an option, but they are getting crazy expensive. A mortgage is cheaper and your home appreciates (most of the time).

The one instance where I might consider a mobile if is I were looking at say 5 acres where I could later build a house. There is land to the west of Phoenix (and probably other directions) that allow mobiles placed on lots where you see custom homes next door or down the street.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,120,329 times
There are a few neighborhoods in North Phoenix bounded by like Utopia Road, 32nd St, Cave Creek Road, and Beardsley where you can buy a mobile home on a lot, where you actually own the lot, and they aren't all crammed together or age restricted ("Mobile Ranchos" is the name of one of the subdivisions). Are they great neighborhoods? Probably not by any measure, but it meets what the OP is asking for. Not something I'd invest in myself. As the poster above mentioned, non-age restricted mobile home neighborhoods attract a rougher type of resident.

A better option might be to wait until your budget can stretch to around 250-260k, then you can buy a normal, smaller 1970s block house in a good safe lower middle class neighborhood, there are tons of those in the areas basically north of Cactus Road, west of 35th Ave. Personally I think those homes will hold their value and/or appreciate over time better than stuff way out in the middle of nowhere like Buckeye, because they are much closer to growing job centers in North Phoenix, Scottsdale airpark area, etc. especially as traffic gets worse for people coming in from the exurbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area