Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2020, 05:54 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,379 times

Advertisements

I'm still debating whether I have more interest in a condo or a single family residence. On average, how much do the HOA fees for condominiums increase each year? I know that each condo has its own HOA, so I'm asking about your experience with what you are familiar with.

I would appreciate knowing for both Sun City and Sun City West.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 06:34 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
There are about 365 separate HOA's in Sun City alone. Fees can range from around 200.00 and up depending on what services are rendered and location. Lakes and golf courses have higher HOA fees.
You have an annual rec fee for every housing unit of 496.00 and a one time preservation fee of 3500.00.
You would need to contact a local realtor or google Zillow for the home(s) you're interested in to get exact figures. Sun City West fees run higher than Sun City"s.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:44 PM

Thank you wit-nit. I know there are a lot of HOA's. My question is: if your HOA Fee was $200 last year, what percentage did it increase this year? Are you now paying $210? $215? I want to know how much I can expect my HOA fees for my condo to increase on an annual basis.... I realize they are all different, but I want to get a rough idea.

Thank you

Old 08-05-2020, 07:16 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Fees don't go up every year. Our HOA fee hasn't risen in over 5 years.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:23 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
We raised it 2 years ago. First time in 8 years. Ours are $154 to $164. We will raise it this year. Probably less than $10. Water and sewer keep going up.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:25 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
It's not always the condo fee you have to worry about. If they are broke you can expect a special assessment. That could be thousands. They have to tell you if one is planned. Make sure you ask.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:57 AM

Thank you very much, everyone. thinkalot, I'm guessing if I ask you that question when searching for a condo you will know it is me :-).

Also, if I buy a condo I plan to talk to an insurance agent about adding an assessment endorsement to the condo policy.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:17 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,644 times
Default I’ve been here 3-ish years

My HOA fees have gone up $10. I assume they’ll go up about $10 a year. (SCW) $260/mo - I know... I had no choice. I couldn’t afford the purchase price of anything else in the valley.

The yearly Rec Center fee is $450. I’ve never even been there - too far to walk! Upon buying the condo, there was a $3,600 fee for something - community improvement? I forget. But that was a one-time fee. Taxes are about $1,000 a year. Homeowners ins. is around $700 a year.

I love my house (condo 2 bed, 2 bath, full garage, private brick walled back yard, wheelchair friendly so the rooms and halls are spacious. I bought it “as is”), but the fees are rough. I don’t have an income, what I have is dwindling fast. If I could, I’d stay here for the rest of my life. Despite the little friction described below.

It’s super quiet and incredibly convenient and walkable to groceries, bank, pharmacy, more (where I am). If you have a car, even more will be close and convenient. Big shopping center across Grand.

Because of Covid-19, I’ve been having groceries and supplies delivered no-touch. I wouldn’t do so we’re it not for the pandemic. Found a note near my front door the other day, “Please have deliveries at your back gate.” No name - I assumed it was my HOA... Nope. Someone is bothered, despite workmen, landscapers (recently ambulances and fire trucks taking folks away - giving one neighbor CPR on the street in front of my bedroom window. Literally), not sure who wrote the note. Hurts my feelings they couldn’t leave their name or give an explanation. I try to be the best neighbor I can be. I think their issue may be that my groceries are delivered in personal cars - and it’s not attractive.

Oh well, sorry for my little rant. I’m looking forward to restarting my gardening. Most people are gone 6 months a year. Folks are very private where I am.

My HOA has not been willing to fix a corner of my roof, though the CC&Rs say they take care of roofs. But I’m not assertive enough. They had a guy come look at it and he sad someone “hit” it (it’s obviously not). HOAs aren’t fun to deal with. That’s just reality. I still love it here, despite my complaints.

Hope you find a great place here!

Last edited by paperwing; 08-29-2020 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Grammar/spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: