Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 11:56 AM

14 posts, read 13,878 times

Advertisements

This discussion is not an attack on Luke, it should stay. I’ve just never lived near an AFB before, jets and planes don’t typically bother me, but having never lived near an AFB I don’t really know how intense the sound is. I’m just trying to make an informed decision that’s all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 12:30 PM

166 posts, read 91,540 times
It always gave me an erection. That’s the sound of freedom baby!

Old 02-21-2021, 01:55 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWonderin View Post
This discussion is not an attack on Luke, it should stay. I’ve just never lived near an AFB before, jets and planes don’t typically bother me, but having never lived near an AFB I don’t really know how intense the sound is. I’m just trying to make an informed decision that’s all.
Just remember that you won't get each poster's whole story either. Some would never live near an AFB no matter what. Others might blame the AFB for their bad real estate investment. You never know what the whole story is so take each with a grain of salt.
I've had 3 houses in the Luke Zone and the sounds vary depending on the day, the weather and the maneuvers, etc. It doesn't really bother me.

My worst Luke noise is the airman who rides his loud-arse motorcycle through the neighborhood on his way to work.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Just remember that you won't get each poster's whole story either. Some would never live near an AFB no matter what. Others might blame the AFB for their bad real estate investment. You never know what the whole story is so take each with a grain of salt.
Understood, that’s why I’m just planning to do my best to spend as much time out there as possible during the weekdays to hopefully get some picture for myself of what to expect, factoring in (with that grain of salt) what everyone here has shared as well.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:25 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post

My worst Luke noise is the airman who rides his loud-arse motorcycle through the neighborhood on his way to work.
I should clarify. My posts on this topic have nothing to do with complaining. Rather, people should know what they are getting into. Back in 2010, I wasn't smart enough to study the topic in order to realize that the flights were on the downswing and my accurate opinion in 2011 (not a big deal) was about to change. Luke was planning on a massive build-up of louder planes, well beyond the F16 platform totals. My bad... My message to others: Do your own homework which is more involved than asking a few neighbors. It's been established that it really doesn't bother some people. With others like myself, it does. My neighborhood was a walk in the park in comparison to Pebble Creek. I visited that community and it fricken shook people's homes!

Even worse than a motorcycle is the loud-arse landscape blowers that go on pretty much every day other than Sunday. Where I used to live, it went on for hours and always started around 7 am. Actually, it was every day. My old neighbor had to blow his yard and mow his grass on Sunday morning while we were enjoying coffee in the hot tub.

The solution wasn't to complain. Rather, move to a nicer, quieter area that cost me a lot more. Now I am in a quiet adult neighborhood that is plane-free, zero POS jacked-up loud trucks, people only have once a month landscaping versus weekly. With an added benefit of being a "Whiskey-Tango" free community.

Back to the landscapers. The new commercial battery blowers are almost 2 orders of magnitude quieter. Some states are mandating them. I'm going to buy a commercial one for myself. But they are expensive.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-22-2021 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My neighborhood was a walk in the park in comparison to Pebble Creek. I visited that community and it fricken shook people's homes!
My girlfriend has an uncle that lives just south of camelback in that area. We first asked him and he didn’t think it was too bad, just goes to show everyone’s different. I’ve been to his house before but never while jets were out so haven’t got to experience it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The solution wasn't to complain. Rather, move to a nicer, quieter area that cost me a lot more. Now I am in a quiet adult neighborhood that is plane-free, zero POS jacked-up loud trucks, people only have once a month landscaping versus weekly. With an added benefit of being a "Whiskey-Tango" free community.
Yeah, that’s what I was trying to convey earlier when people were accusing me of being a NIMBY, even if I do buy there and I later regret it my response isn’t going to be “Luke should move” or to just endlessly complain about it, instead, I’ll sell and move. It’s not the end of the world.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWonderin View Post
My girlfriend has an uncle that lives just south of camelback in that area. We first asked him and he didn’t think it was too bad, just goes to show everyone’s different. I’ve been to his house before but never while jets were out so haven’t got to experience it.

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to convey earlier when people were accusing me of being a NIMBY, even if I do buy there and I later regret it my response isn’t going to be “Luke should move” or to just endlessly complain about it, instead, I’ll sell and move. It’s not the end of the world.
It could have been aimed at me too. Whatever. Neither one of us was complaining. V-N has a NIYBY hot button.

re: People's opinion that it is not a big deal.

1. Realize some people go to work every day outside of the area.
2. A neighborhood x amount of miles away from another hood can have a much different SPL profile.
3. To some level, the area already has been sorted to include people who can handle the total flights and sound pressure levels. For example, knock on people's doors who back up to a busy road and ask if the noise bothers them. I'll save you some time, Their answer will be: "gee, we don't even notice it anymore!" So for those people who live off of a busy street, it's not that big of a deal. But to other people, there would be no way they would live up against a busy road. Hence, irritants are subjective. Trade-offs, trade-offs, trade-offs.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:44 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Noise may be the least of your worries. Luke just announced that they have found contaminants from the base in water utility wells providing service to nearby subdivisions. The base is providing bottled water to residents who have been told not to drink the water. Big red flag to say the least. The water has the taste of freedom I guess.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Noise may be the least of your worries. Luke just announced that they have found contaminants from the base in water utility wells providing service to nearby subdivisions. The base is providing bottled water to residents who have been told not to drink the water. Big red flag to say the least. The water has the taste of freedom I guess.
Here is the note that Luke sent out to the 1700 residence around the area.
https://twitter.com/LukeAFB/status/1...6-0afdff5ab902

Old 02-23-2021, 06:02 PM

Well isn’t that nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area